Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I covered this subject extensively on Offshoreonly.com, I had an 06 F350 swb 4x4 dually and initially tried the 22.5's with 265/70r22.5 Michelins and Alcoa wheels, the ride sucked, the truck had no braking ability(to much rolling mass, the adaptors weighed in at 38lbs EACH) I couldn't get them to balance, It just pretty well ruined the truck as far as I'm concerned, I dumped them after about 3 months and went to an outfit called Brentzwheels.com and bought a set of 19.5's direct fit(no adaptors) and Michelin 265/70r19.5 xde+2's and was completely satisfied...Now this is MY personal opinion stemming from wasting alot of time and money, but it is still just my opinion.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For me the stopping became an issue towing, my boat weighs 12,000lbs and the 22.5's seriously diminished the braking ability with the boat behind it. As far as ride quality, well I own a tire/suspension shop in the Orlando area and after getting frustrated because I couldn't get it right, I tried 2 other local shops with no better results, so at that point I had to look at different alternatives or go back to stock wheels, hence the 19.5's. And I'm more anal about my vehicles than most people are. Again, these are just opinions/personal observations.

One thing I have noticed with people running the 22.5s is that they love them or hate them with no inbetween ground, maybe the problem is in the different adaptors, mine were American Force, and a couple of the wheel companies(like Brentz Wheels) now list a predrilled 22.5 so no adaptors required.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
For me the stopping became an issue towing, my boat weighs 12,000lbs and the 22.5's seriously diminished the braking ability with the boat behind it. As far as ride quality, well I own a tire/suspension shop in the Orlando area and after getting frustrated because I couldn't get it right, I tried 2 other local shops with no better results, so at that point I had to look at different alternatives or go back to stock wheels, hence the 19.5's. And I'm more anal about my vehicles than most people are. Again, these are just opinions/personal observations.

One thing I have noticed with people running the 22.5s is that they love them or hate them with no inbetween ground, maybe the problem is in the different adaptors, mine were American Force, and a couple of the wheel companies(like Brentz Wheels) now list a predrilled 22.5 so no adaptors required.

yep, direct bolt on is where its at.

I just knew before I purchased my 22.5's that they weren't gonna ride like stock, thats just how it goes. I screwed around with trying to get them balanced out for approx. 1 year until I found someone competent to balance the wheels, they ride great IMO from other trucks with 22.5's that I have ridden in.

I tow 12k and up all of the time, with my brake controller turned up, I have no issues bringing the truck to a halt.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't have the patience to spend a year screwing around with something that I feel shouldn't be a problem to start with, your a better man than me, and in good concience I couldn't subject my customers to a year of aggrivation keep trying, its not profitable....lol

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I don't have the patience to spend a year screwing around with something that I feel shouldn't be a problem to start with, your a better man than me, and in good concience I couldn't subject my customers to a year of aggrivation keep trying, its not profitable....lol
I understand fully, I have found a place that does it good,I had the tires and wheels, so I got them right, thats what the end result was, dont get me wrong I have been frustrated, but I will take looks over a perfect ride anyday.

Not one person in their right mind can expect to slap a 22.5" semi tire on at truck thats rated at 10k lbs and expect it to ride as good as it did stock.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That was why I found the 19.5's with the Michelins a good compromise.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Looking good.:thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the American Force wheels personally, when I looked at the 19.5's they were only 6" wide versus the 6.75 of the Brentz wheels, hence the ability to run a larger tire properly. Again, personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
you are looking at the direct bolt on 19.5.... if you get the 10lug, they will be wider... anything direct bolt on is going to be narrow because there is no room to go wider...

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I've had no complaints with mine either:thumb: The biggest differences I noticed from stock was the extra power it took to move them and the ride was noticably stiffer. I've since gotten used to it and only keep 70psi in the tires to help soften the ride. Braking hasn't been an issue...she still stops faster than my Mustang did with non-power 4-wheel drums. Also never had a balance issue.
As far as going away from the half sizes...I prefer to run the commercial tires for the longevity and durability. Standard tires just don't hold up as well for as long.

·
Registered
199 Posts

They don't ride as good as factory but not bad for how good they look. You just have to adjust the tire pressure. And for the balance I put balance bead bags and they work flawlessly and no wheel weights :thumb:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
tire pressure plays a huge role in ride quality, I run 25lbs in each rear tire and 60 in the fronts.

American force is a joke, Diesel Wheels is the real deal, the originator, not the imitator!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I agree that dieselwheels is the better wheel. I know Frank personally and hes a great guy and he goes the extra mile to make things right.

Another thing no one has mentioned about 22.5s is that you might not be able to just balance then. Sometimes they need to be "trued" The tire will need to be shaved slightly.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I agree that dieselwheels is the better wheel. I know Frank personally and hes a great guy and he goes the extra mile to make things right.

Another thing no one has mentioned about 22.5s is that you might not be able to just balance then. Sometimes they need to be "trued" The tire will need to be shaved slightly.
yep, I have known Frank fro a long time..

American force is nothing but a copier of Diesel Wheels AKA Rides by Reds, the owner of american force was a customer of Franks, they decided to copy all of his stuff and outsource the adapters to China..I am just not a fan of that kind of business ethics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts