Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know. Really should have asked BEFORE I did it, but it's done. Last oil change, I just dumped the entire 4 gallons rather than metering out that last quart and having leftovers. Really, is there a problem with that? I know about too much oil and the problems it can cause, but I'm figuring with the size of this thing, the one extra quart won't cause problems. If there is, I'll drain the one quart. I have 122k on the clock. Runs well except for the leaky egr coolers which I'll get to soon. I live in NorVa so I can't delete them. :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would probably drain it and make it right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
How high is it on the stick? I would definitely drain it out because with you having the dpf intact has the risk of making oil due to fuel slipping by the rings during regen. If you have an extra quart of oil which is a decent amount, plus if you have lets say 10 regens at the least over 5000 miles, how much of that fuel is making it to the crank case? Just an idea that I wouldn't risk but do what you want :dunno:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Like the guys suggested its better safe than sorry. Drain the extra quart.

·
Administrator
30,926 Posts
I would drain also

you don't want to aerate the oil
or risk a runaway if yours is an oil maker like suggested

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
So you want to risk a $10,000 motor because you are too lazy to measure out the exact amount of oil that Ford indicates your engine needs??!!! Aerating or oil foaming would be a HUGE risk that can and will destroy your engine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I know I know. Really should have asked BEFORE I did it, but it's done. Last oil change, I just dumped the entire 4 gallons rather than metering out that last quart and having leftovers. Really, is there a problem with that? I know about too much oil and the problems it can cause, but I'm figuring with the size of this thing, the one extra quart won't cause problems. If there is, I'll drain the one quart. I have 122k on the clock. Runs well except for the leaky egr coolers which I'll get to soon. I live in NorVa so I can't delete them. :(
i live in NOVA also,.... EGR and Cooler delete is next on my list of mods to do... why cant you delete your egr and coolers? there aren't any emissions testing on diesels in VA that i'm aware of. fill me in brother if i'm missing something.. but i've yet to need an emissions test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i live in NOVA also,.... EGR and Cooler delete is next on my list of mods to do... why cant you delete your egr and coolers? there aren't any emissions testing on diesels in VA that i'm aware of. fill me in brother if i'm missing something.. but i've yet to need an emissions test.
Because of visual inspections. During an inspection, the tech is suppose to verify the placement of factory emissions equipment. So, if they are removed, I'd fail the "visual" portion. Or so that is what I had learned. And I don't have the time now to look for an inspection station that would kindly overlook that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts