Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulling <9,000 lbs up not so steep grades at about 50 mph, I twice broke 1600 degrees pre turbo EGT's. It was still in 6th gear and and I check my side mirror and see a lot of black smoke coming out my tail pipe. Does this sound right? I know these things run a bit not, but holy smokes, 1600 degrees!

2015 CC, LB, 6.7, 4X4, DRW, Lariat ultimate, 160,000 mi. SCT Livewire w/ Tyrant tow tune. Deleted.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the same as you (no flat bed though).

I run a Tyrant tune...only the tune for Heavy Towing.

When I am not towing, I will get a puff of black smoke when passing someone (downshift from 6 to 5).

Surprisingly, when I am towing the Toy Hauler (20k lbs), I don’t think I’ve ever seen black smoke, even in a downshift to climb a hill.

Now, the temps. I am deleted also and have a temp probe installed for my CTS. When towing, I have an alarm set for 1200 degrees. Once it goes off, I back off and drive only by that temp probe (because I am not breaking any speed records). Once I am done with the climb, I go back to speedometer. I see no reason to destroy the truck trying to be the first one to the top of the hill.

Cale

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was pulling less than 9,000 lbs. I wouldn’t think she would even break a sweat under that load.
I’m wondering if the truck is not shifting as early as it should.
I was in tow/haul mode. Maybe an issue with my tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was pulling less than 9,000 lbs. I wouldn’t think she would even break a sweat under that load.
I’m wondering if the truck is not shifting as early as it should.
I was in tow/haul mode. Maybe an issue with my tune?

Possibly. I had a tow tine from a another vendor and it was complete crap...even though everyone said it was great. I am told that each truck reacts differently to tunes...which is interesting.

I specifically talked to Tyrant, before you had to go through third party vendors. I stated what I was towing, I wanted exhaust brake to work overtime, no hair dryer sounds, etc. the tune they sent was awesome.

Cale

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through a third party.
I’ll have to remember which 3rd party that was and give them a call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts