Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

Hope everyone out there is doing alright with this COVID-19 stuff going around, just had a quick question for everyone. I got my oil changed at a Ford dealership in North Texas yesterday and it turns out they use Synthetic Blend 15W40 for all diesels including the 6.7. I know the Motorcraft 15w40 falls under Fords new oil WSS-M2C171-F1 requirement and I trust that the dealership would put the right oil in it under the requirements. However it seems that everyone wants to use 10W30 in the 6.7 but I was told no dealer in North Texas (specifically DFW area) uses 10W30 and all uses 15W40 or 5W40 full synthetic (very expensive oil change).

Is there anyone out there running 15w40 in their 6.7s? Trying to see if it is a critical thing that I switch to a different oil. Primary use for the vehicle is daily driver and most of it is on highway commuting to and from work. Will also take a long road trip in it too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used Dello 15/40 in my 2011 for a 100,000 miles with no problems. I also used It in my 2016 until the new oil specifications came out. It is not on Fords approved list now so I changed to Rotella 5/40 synthetic. I may go back to 15/40 weight as I see no problem using it . Where I live it does get down below 20 degrees in the winter but I am retired and my truck is either in use or in the Garage. If my truck was exposed to temperatures below 20 degrees constantly I would use a lighter weight oil. A 5/40 weight covers all temperatures and uses. I also tow four different trailers quite often .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not personally used it. My father in law uses it exclusively in his 2016 and has over 500,000 trouble free miles on his truck. He tows travel trailers nationwide for delivery and relocation. He does not change oils for colder climates either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
We put standard 15w40 in all the diesels that go through the shop unless the customer specifies fulk synthetic
We fall in the temperate climate zone Ford says 15w40 is fine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I've been using Motorcraft 15W40 for a while now and the 6.7 seems to like it just fine. I live down in Houston, so I figure it will hold together a little better in the Texas heat... Having said that, I've heard there's not much performance difference between 10W30, 15W40, & 5W40 when you're running in a warm climate like ours.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are fine.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts