Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just calculated my MPG over 70 miles. I drove as I normally would as to get an accurate reading. There was some city driving, some highway stop and go, and mostly highway with cruise control on. I have an intake, 3" DP to 3.5 to 4" exhaust, and a chip. I have been known to have a lead foot, but still expected a bit better mileage. Is this accurate to my driving habits, or is there something I can do to get better mileage?

·
Super Moderator
19,743 Posts
That may not be too far off with the mix of driving you show. A lot depend on the precentage of each.

What speed were you running down the highway with cruise?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I'm just gonna throw out there I bet you have 4:10's gear ratio plays a huge part.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Something seems off kause in my 2wd I was getting 18 and that's almost all city very minimal heavy traffic, and kinda light in the foot. Heavy in the foot I was doin maybe 16

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines 4x4, but would that drop it another 2mpg? My check engine light is now on (wasn't on when i was checking the mpg) however I cant get an obd2 scanner to read any codes.......

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Mine was 2wd short bed supercab, so I did have a good advantage on weight, got 22 once doin nothing but highway at 75-80. Do you have a tuner? Like chip or something?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im making a trip this weekend, I'll check it again 100% on the highway.....hopefully all with cruise.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You need to check mileage off a full tank or several tanks so you get a good mix of driving in there. If I baby mine (5 spd 4.10 gear) I can get 20+mpg. Hauling and running it hard I get around 16-17.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what I did the first time, and got 14.8 :dunno:

Tailgate up or down make a difference?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
It was on myth busters on that tail gate thing, I think it was a .01 or .03 difference. But a tonneau makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You need to check mileage off a full tank or several tanks so you get a good mix of driving in there. If I baby mine (5 spd 4.10 gear) I can get 20+mpg. Hauling and running it hard I get around 16-17.
Please share how youre getting 20+ with 4.10s

It was on myth busters on that tail gate thing, I think it was a .01 or .03 difference. But a tonneau makes a huge difference.
Really? How so?

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
I just calculated my MPG over 70 miles. I drove as I normally would as to get an accurate reading. There was some city driving, some highway stop and go, and mostly highway with cruise control on. I have an intake, 3" DP to 3.5 to 4" exhaust, and a chip. I have been known to have a lead foot, but still expected a bit better mileage. Is this accurate to my driving habits, or is there something I can do to get better mileage?
Be happy you get that.:doh:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I drive it very easy to get 20mpg that with 4.10s. It has an intake, exhaust and at least a chip (boost will reach 30psi on the street...not sure of any other mods). It has 260K on it. 235/85 tires. Going the speed limit. I can repeat that number over and over again, so I don't think it's a fluke.

I've tried both tail gate up and tail gate off for mileage, I've found no difference. I've done both ways for at least 2k miles on my Ranger. No noticeable difference in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts

Really? How so?
3 fat chicks in the back down hill with a tail wind, and the tonneau cover doesn't allow air to be trapped in the bed or wave around kausing resistance, tail gate up kauses resistance from air hitting it and trying to fight on comming air into the bed, tail gate down kauses it to diffuse from under the truck in a bad way, my ext cab with tonneau cover repeatedly got well over 20 mpg, I think I hit 26 once but also being very easy on it, when I did stacks and got rid of the cover it dropped my hwy mileage down to 21 being easy, I have a lead foot in town and can get 14-18 pending on how I drive in city

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a lead foot too, I want stacks but theyre not in the budget right now. I might look into a cover though if it will increase mileage that much. It would pay it self off in no time.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
It increases by 2-3 mpg's but that's highway, city makes no difference. I'm still trying to get rid of two of them for a short bed. Nobody seems to want them at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
with 3.55s i would expect you to be doing better than that. turn your chip up and be easy on the go pedal and it should help. cceck the tire pressure to make sure that they are where they should be check to make sure no brakes are hanging up. but again the biggest thing is your driving habits. slow downa nd you will see a large increase in mpg

it can be done and i'm glad i'm not the only one able to do it. driver slower and accelerate more slowly

·
Registered
840 Posts
the most im ever able to put out with 4.10s is 16.5

1 - 20 of 21 Posts