Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last weekend I installed H&S mini with 5" mbrp strait pipe on my buddys power stroke and he's averaging over 5mpg better then stock! Ever since he bought the truck the best he could get out of the truck was 14.5mpg now he's getting almost 20mpg! These are highway averages.
He has a xlt CC,sb with 2" lift on 35" tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep thats about what I am seeing. Just got 22.6 during a 400 mile highway trip with 1500lbs of junk in the back. Not too shabby :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Went from 14.5 hwy to 20 hwy also. Went from 12ish to around 15 city, more if I'm easy on it.

Same mods

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
144 Posts
So riddle me this: Stock, looks like around 14 average MPG. Tuned / deleted looks to be around 18 average. Say the life of the truck is 250k miles. While getting 14mpg over the life of the truck, you will use approximately 17,857 gallons of fuel. At 18mpg, you would use 13,888. You would use nearly 4000 gallons less fuel over the life of the truck. I don't see how the having the DPF of and getting 14mpg will put out less pollution than saving 4000 gallons of fuel at 18mpg with the DPF off. Not to mention the pollution that goes into the production of the Urea and the massive DPFs themselves when they are originally produced. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So riddle me this: Stock, looks like around 14 average MPG. Tuned / deleted looks to be around 18 average. Say the life of the truck is 250k miles. While getting 14mpg over the life of the truck, you will use approximately 17,857 gallons of fuel. At 18mpg, you would use 13,888. You would use nearly 4000 gallons less fuel over the life of the truck. I don't see how the having the DPF of and getting 14mpg will put out less pollution than saving 4000 gallons of fuel at 18mpg with the DPF off. Not to mention the pollution that goes into the production of the Urea and the massive DPFs themselves when they are originally produced. I just don't get it.
You are spot on....Now if you could only get the government to see it.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So true^^^^^

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run a RCD450 and jumped from 15.5 without regen to just about 20 mps with 3.55s running 34" tires on the hwy(hand calculated). I occasionally run the KEM 210 and I think that 20 mpg is about all one can get out of these beasts keeping it under 75mph. I put 30K in the last year which saved enough for the tuner, replacement DPF/CAT pipe, and the extra tunes. Oh did I mention saving the planet besides shutting down that sinnister EGR.

Boy, do I feel better.

Cheers!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My appologies, wronge forum. But I still feel better!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bryce what level was he running it on to get those results?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
Well what you guys claim to be getting on these trucks tuned i can't say one way or another. I have 20,000 on mine tuned for the last 10,000 with 5 inch MBRP exhaust and 35 inch tires with leveling kit. In the last month i have been from Florida to Tennessee and back, empty, averaged 16.5 running 70 to 73. Just got back from a hunting trip in Georgia, had a for Wheeler in the bed set the cruise at 70 for the entire trip never got off the interstate the whole way averaged 16 there and back. Not sue how you guys are hitting the 20's, but it sure must be nice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
384 Posts
I seem to get the best mileage on hot, so I just leave it there 100% of the time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My truck seems to do a lot better on fuel if i keep it under 70. Like 60-65. I'm on 37s and I get 15 city and I've gotten 17 highway running on hot that trip

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bryce what level was he running it on to get those results?

"Hot" we both run on hot all the time except while towing.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well what you guys claim to be getting on these trucks tuned i can't say one way or another. I have 20,000 on mine tuned for the last 10,000 with 5 inch MBRP exhaust and 35 inch tires with leveling kit. In the last month i have been from Florida to Tennessee and back, empty, averaged 16.5 running 70 to 73. Just got back from a hunting trip in Georgia, had a for Wheeler in the bed set the cruise at 70 for the entire trip never got off the interstate the whole way averaged 16 there and back. Not sue how you guys are hitting the 20's, but it sure must be nice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Really?? Dam I get between 14-15.5mpg towing a 15,000 lb goose neck stock trailer. Do you have a cold air intake?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Really?? Dam I get between 14-15.5mpg towing a 15,000 lb goose neck stock trailer. Do you have a cold air intake?

Cold air intake makes a huge difference. Mine is stock, no tuner, stock exhaust. Only have an AFE CAI and I'm getting 16.4 highway

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

1 - 20 of 37 Posts