Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i waited for ever to get my egr delete from river city diesel and I finally get it, along with the blue spring fuel pressure kit. I took my egr valve out and cleaned it all out just because I do it every sunday. Let the truck sit untill this past thursday, drove the truck 5 miles to the shop to have the delete installed. I get a phone call Friday afternoon saying the oil cooler is shot and the coolant has oil in it, the egr valve was pulled and it was covered in coolant. The past sunday I cleaned it the valve was just full of carbon buildup. Guess the cooler went out on the way to the shop.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
well i waited for ever to get my egr delete from river city diesel and I finally get it, along with the blue spring fuel pressure kit. I took my egr valve out and cleaned it all out just because I do it every sunday. Let the truck sit untill this past thursday, drove the truck 5 miles to the shop to have the delete installed. I get a phone call Friday afternoon saying the oil cooler is shot and the coolant has oil in it, the egr valve was pulled and it was covered in coolant. The past sunday I cleaned it the valve was just full of carbon buildup. Guess the cooler went out on the way to the shop.
Or the shop is screwing you. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds like bs....when you pulled the egr valve did you happen to notice any coolant residue around the degas tank or did you see the color of the coolant in the degas tank?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope not, I went to the shop friday after work and they showed me the drain pan under the truck and sure enough its coolant with an oil film on the top. I havnt had the truck too long, they said the oil cooler issue is from not servicing the truck regularly. I paid 200 for the egr delete, 45 for the blue spring, 375 for the cooler, 35 for intake gaskets, 80 for a new coolant overflow because my factory one had a crack, and the rest is labor. Oil change and coolant flush is included.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has been no coolant around the tank, the egr valve was completly dry every time I took it out. They showed me the egr valve when I got there and it was soaked. I never said I was coming to the shop, just kinda showed up after work.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm with Matt on this one. Sounds like the shop is playing games. I do have a question though...actually two questions;

1. Why do you clean your EGR valve every Sunday? Are you that bored?

2. If you're mechanically inclined enough to remove and replace the EGR valve, you can do the delete, why pay a shop to do that?

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade but have worked on many trucks and bikes and doing the EGR isn't that complicated.

If you have to actually replace the cooler (should it actually be bad), get one from Tousley Ford. You'll save a few $$$ vs having the shop order you one. Hope it gets taken care of soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well im new to the whole 6.0 scene and just been going by what people have told me. Its a difficult job, all day job, just stuff like that so I figured id just pay someone to do it so I dont have to mess with it. When I looked at it when I went there after work I knew right there I didnt wana mess with it. Seriously it looked like just take the tranny bolts out and the motor would slide right out. Thats not something I want to mess with.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Well im new to the whole 6.0 scene and just been going by what people have told me. Its a difficult job, all day job, just stuff like that so I figured id just pay someone to do it so I dont have to mess with it. When I looked at it when I went there after work I knew right there I didnt wana mess with it. Seriously it looked like just take the tranny bolts out and the motor would slide right out. Thats not something I want to mess with.
What???? Why would you be disconnecting the tranny??? Further more, why would you be sliding the motor out????? The EGR delete is a 4hr job tops, in the drive way, with basic hand tools. I don't quite think you understand the ins and outs of this process. I don't know what you've heard, but please ask us if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I say u tell them to f off and do it your self. It's easy to get to the oil cooler the hardest part is getting the belt back on but thats even easy to do. I say do it your self and if you have questions in the process just ask on here and we will be more than willing to help you.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I say u tell them to f off and do it your self. It's easy to get to the oil cooler the hardest part is getting the belt back on but thats even easy to do. I say do it your self and if you have questions in the process just ask on here and we will be more than willing to help you.
I actually agree with him on this one. I think the shop is trying to screw you over using the 6.0's reputation. Be careful or they'll try and sell you on a head gasket job before its over with. If you've already told em' to go ahead with the work, don't agree to anything else they say you need. JMO.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Thx Matt.

I can see why the charge is so high, the fuel bowl and oil filter housing have to come off and intake manifold and all that crap. But seriously whats their labor rate? That's a rip off and a half. Total job time should not exceed 6hrs IMO from start to finish especially if it's a shop doing it they should be able to bang that out super fast.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thx Matt.

I can see why the charge is so high, the fuel bowl and oil filter housing have to come off and intake manifold and all that crap.
I left the fuel bowl and oil filter housing in place, it's not necessary to remove it. Also, the intake does not need to be removed(unless you want it cleaned out)...loosen all of the bolts and lift the intake enough to pull the cooler out. Intake gaskets are reusable too.

Let go of your ankles, stand up and go get your truck.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I left the fuel bowl and oil filter housing in place, it's not necessary to remove it. Also, the intake does not need to be removed(unless you want it cleaned out)...loosen all of the bolts and lift the intake enough to pull the cooler out. Intake gaskets are reusable too.

Was just going off of me pulling the intake off and all that crap. But good to know that all that doesn't have to come off

·
Registered
5,520 Posts

Odawg was saying that stuff had to be removed if the oil cooler was to be replaced. The shop is telling this poor guy that his oil cooler is ruptured as well. A simple oil analysis from Blackstone would quickly confirm one way or the other.

But i do agree with you that he should go get his truck. Anyone who has the time to pull the EGR valve every Sunday, certainly has the time to do this little job. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was told by a tech it didn't have to come off for the EGR cooler and I was skeptical...but he was right.

It's probably a good idea to pull all of that off to clean if the time permits...I needed my truck the next morning for work, so I went with the quickest route.
How does your EGR get full of carbon in one week?

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Was just going off of me pulling the intake off and all that crap. But good to know that all that doesn't have to come off
I don't think we're all realizing what the OP has stated his issues are. I know I had to read back through before I realized the shop was wanting to replace the oil cooler as well. To replace the oil cooler all the previously list BS does have to be removed. The EGR cooler just requires the intake bolts loosened.

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page. The OP's post wasn't the most in-depth and easy to understand about the oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I don't think we're all realizing what the OP has stated his issues are. I know I had to read back through before I realized the shop was wanting to replace the oil cooler as well. To replace the oil cooler all the previously list BS does have to be removed. The EGR cooler just requires the intake bolts loosened.

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page. The OP's post wasn't the most in-depth and easy to understand about the oil cooler.
HAHA, thanks Matt....I read it a couple more times and I'm following now. He's in a tough spot....they have his truck, how far have they torn into it? Oil change and coolant flush is included, huh?

Did they flush the system BEFORE they started pulling parts?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Lol there's no way to replace the oil cooler unless all that comes off the oil filter housing is above the cooler I was multi tasking when I replied ^^ up there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts