Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some reading/searching and I can't seem to find a solution. Is there really no solution?

Has anyone successfully installed a 2011+ Ford Super Duty rear axle into an 2010 or earlier truck and gotten the rear ABS to function and found a way to have a functioning speedometer?

99-10 it seems have a tone ring attached to the ring gear. It's my understanding this tone ring provides the signal for speedo and rear ABS. The 11+ apparently have tone rings at each wheel for the 4 wheel ABS.

My truck, 99.5, only has rear ABS if that changes anything.

If you are wondering why someone would want an 11+ axle: Available with a selectable locker. Larger brakes. Correct width to match an 05+ front coil conversion.

TIA for any guidance.

·
Administrator
33,909 Posts
I have not seen a workaround for the outboard ABS and unless you have the axle sourced i would stick to a 10 under axle since it will still have better brakes than your trucks OEM

if there is a workaround it would make the E locker axles desirable for conversions

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2015 axle sitting at my house with e-locker. Unfortunately, i didn't do great research before purchasing it. I thought for sure with all the brilliant people out there someone would have come up with a solution.

·
Administrator
33,909 Posts
I have seen a few threads started but no results on how to retrofit
and to complicate it seems like the tone ring was a different pulse

that being said I am sure it is doable

??

since you have only rear ABS that seems like a 100$ workaround I would be a little leery of matching to a front abs pulse count for trucks with front ABS though

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
??

since you have only rear ABS that seems like a 100$ workaround I would be a little leery of matching to a front abs pulse count for trucks with front ABS though

I've seen the Dakota digital product. I suppose that will work for the speedometer, but do you think that will also work for the ABS?

On the rear axles that use the tone ring on the ring gear that signal is sent to both the speedometer and the computer for the ABS calculations, correct?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a discussion I found with someone attempting to use the Dakota Digital to solve this issue. It doesn't indicate if he actually resolved it and there doesn't appear to be a way to contact him.

Does the speedometer get a signal from the trans/transfer case?

Is the tone ring on the ring gear ONLY for the ABS (99-10 trucks)

·
Administrator
33,909 Posts
" rear diff tone ring" is the VSS (speedo) and same as ABS for 03 up unless it is a van
not 100% sure about the 03 under but that device alters the tone ring pulse it should work on just an ABS signal

verify

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" rear diff tone ring" is the VSS (speedo) and same as ABS for 03 up unless it is a van
not 100% sure about the 03 under but that device alters the tone ring pulse it should work on just an ABS signal

verify
In doing some more searching I found the following:

"So What I HAVE figured out thus far is, the newer at the wheel ABS system uses voltage delivered to the sensor, so you cannot just hook up the old wires to the new sensor and have any chance of it working."

Does this change the chances of the Dakota Digital product working? Is this newer at the wheel ABS system different in terms of the type of signal it sends compared to the old tone ring on the ring gear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.