Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I thought dpf has cat piss in it? eurthra is what it is(not sure if its spelled right) but that has cat piss in it.
hahahahahaha its urea not eurthra . def not the same thing.:rofl:

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
Urea is horse piss and water.
I'm gonna start making my horses wear diapers so I can sell that piss to all the guys who drive new diesels. Meanwhile my 6.0 will stay on the road for a long time.

I honestly have to wonder if diesel engines will still be in pickup trucks anymore in 10 years. The EPA keeps getting stricter on diesels and the price of fuel keeps getting inflated. Maybe trucks will be running on LP or something...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
urea! got it lol

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think the vehicle technology and emissions will improve just like it did for the gassers when the the emissions suffocated the cars in the 1970's and early '80's. it will only get better.

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
Thing is diesels already burn cleaner than gassers. Diesels just make so much more sense than gassers, that's why half the cars sold in Europe are diesel. US car manufactures believe Americans won't buy diesels because of the debacle when GM tried to make a diesel out of the 350 motor after the 73 gas crisis. So they don't even try to educate the population about the benefits of going diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Thing is diesels already burn cleaner than gassers. Diesels just make so much more sense than gassers, that's why half the cars sold in Europe are diesel. US car manufactures believe Americans won't buy diesels because of the debacle when GM tried to make a diesel out of the 350 motor after the 73 gas crisis. So they don't even try to educate the population about the benefits of going diesel.
HAHA. My dad had one of those! A 1981 Olds Toronado. What a car! He maintains that the only vehicle he's ever driven that he liked more is his 2012 F250 KR. That's saying a lot considering he's logged over 6 million miles behind a wheel professionally and probably another 3 or 4 million in cars and pickup trucks since he started driving. I've never owned a car but I drove that one a good bit and it was nice. No problems ever but my dad decided to stop pushing his luck and traded it in on a Ford Taurus in about '87 I think. A real step down it seemed!

American cars run on gasoline. That's just the way is. To suggest that Europeans are more educated about their transportation is laughable though. I've been there and seen it. Germany may be the exception. When American car manufacturers can make more money on diesel power they'll develop and market it. I'd like to see some with those great mpg ratings!

k

edit: I should note however that Europeans do use diesel at a rate of 1 gas to 3 diesel. The price for gas and diesel are a lot closer than we have in the U.S. also. In some places, diesel is cheaper. Remember when it was like that here?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
10 more years in this gay arse state of cali boys, Then we are out of here:thumb: The way I see it (and if there are any oil execs on the org.) I feel that the only way to make the same amount of money they were making is to put more "Chems" in the diesel to clean it up and charge more money!/price gouge. We all know that diesel is a byproduct of refinment for the other three grades, and is essencially free. So since we get better mpgs then our gasser counterparts, and they are not selling the volume they would like to I see our trucks staying were they are and like what was posted earlier more tech on turbo cars again:doh: They should have never gotten away from power adders that just push more air. Fuel is a must for cars to run and alittle more won't hurt because of the new emmissions.

Between the EPA, CARB, and other new cali laws people are leaving cali and the only one to support the libs, gov brown and the people on welfare are those libs in office right know:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 more years we might see the same price per gallon as those people on the ohter side of the pond?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've got 156k miles so far, since NOV04. I intend to keep her. Too good a worker, and the little maintanance issues that crop up, well; thats what this forums' for. If only we can come up with a hydrogen powerplant, and exhaust only water vapor! Plenty of torque, and it would make the drunk driving a self-correcting problem (terrible collateral damage, tho)!
Seriously, the way these idiots come up with laws, standards and such, it just won't sustain itself. No way to regulate/enforce it all. Especially when, as been previously posted, all the 'producers' leave the once-golden state.
I do like bio diesel, too.
Happy Miles!
Jon

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
i love this country through and through but in 10 yrs, and the rate were going, I'll be in a cabin up in the mountains of idaho or i'll probably be in Australia driving my 04 f350 and hopefully a diesel landcruiser lol...

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,066 Posts
Same thing ^^^

I cant stand what ive seen happen in this country in my short life. I do give props to the euros for their excessive amount on diesel ib everything though.

I do see myself in a small town up in canada with my 6.0 in the future though

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can see the diesel price go up 8$ in 10 years :eek:hnoes:
I will never give up driving my f350 because f350s the coolest truck ever made. :nod:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think it all depends on how the country goes politically. If we continue with the dems, it will get worse and worse. If we get some better leadership, hopefully it'll get less stringent and the diesel market will stay the way it was/is or get better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've got 156k miles so far, since NOV04. I intend to keep her. Too good a worker, and the little maintanance issues that crop up, well; thats what this forums' for. If only we can come up with a hydrogen powerplant, and exhaust only water vapor! Plenty of torque, and it would make the drunk driving a self-correcting problem (terrible collateral damage, tho)!
Seriously, the way these idiots come up with laws, standards and such, it just won't sustain itself. No way to regulate/enforce it all. Especially when, as been previously posted, all the 'producers' leave the once-golden state.
I do like bio diesel, too.
Happy Miles!
Jon
Some guy invented a carburetor that ran on water back in the 70's. they ruined that mans life and he killed himself.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
so many people had hydrogen stuff. my roommate was to cheap to buy a kit for his samuri but he built his own hydrogen injector kinda like water meth inject system but he got 4 more mpg in town and like 7 more on highway i even drove it for a week and saw results first hand... too many big $$$ not wanting to share the pie.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Reliability is a huge deterrent from current diesel truck owners...along with the extra cost in the initial purchase. It use to be you bought a 200hp diesel that putted along for half a million miles with nary an issue, then they all got wrapped up in the HP race...kinda a race to the bottom in my opinion. 6.0's and 6.4's have earned their bad reputation in the diesel world...but lb7 duramax are just as problematic, and Cummins have plenty of their issues too. We sell reman motors to lots of people, all the big 3 motors, and lots of tow truck companies are buying gas engines when they buy new vehicles for their fleet. Diesels will always have a necessary spot for bigger hauling needs, but unless they address reliability they'll all run diesels out of the truck market. Maybe fords new 6.7 is a little better, I know duramax have gotten lots better...Cummins have gotten slightly better too, so hopefully we are turning that corner.

as far as diesels in the greater market place, Chevy is going to offer a diesel in their cruze, vw has been a big vw advocate for a long time, obviously with their European roots. Even jeep is offering a diesel in the wrangler next year and already offers one in the grand Cherokee. I'm in the market for a diesel vw golf right now. People routinely get 50+ mpg on the highway with em, and they're way less gay than a Prius. In fact the Guinness world record is held by a vw diesel, like a 08 or 09 jetta or Passat that drove through all 48 continental states and averaged like 67.5 mpg, albeit at like 5 under the speed limit, and I think they inflated the tires some. Diesels have gotten way quieter, just about as quiet as gas motors, and the potential for effeciancy is so much greater...but with literally all new diesels needing treatment of some type, I'd rather buy a used one without it. Its another system, another aspect of maintenance.

In LA, 80% of the pollution came from the ports, diesel engines idling for days, they've converted a lot of that to electric generators and all, and cut emissions down by half, which dropped total city emisions by like 20%. I heard this on NPR the other day, might not have all the specs spot on bit that's the gist of it. The damn government needs to stop penalizing diesels so harshly...they're cleaner, and growing fast, but they'll squash that like a bug if they keep driving up cost and driving down reliability with all the emissions stuff. Instead they'll push for electric or hybrid cars, but they don't take into account the full scope of bow those effect the environment either. I've seen reports where diesels still win based on energy to make and dispose of batteries for them.

Someone made a good point that they auto manufacturers will only do it when its profitable, that's very true. It'll take tons of people to realize the benefits, but IMO the benefits are squandered when you count in how much emissions stuff you have to deal with. Honestly I think diesels will be about where we are now in ten years as long as fossil fuels are still the main source of automobile transportation. Maybe see more in passenger cars, probably about then same in trucks. Most people I think can do what they need with a gas motor in their truck and avoid the extra initial cost of diesel whem purchasing and the added cost and hassel down the road too. I think maybe 10-20% of new diesel owners actually take advantage of what a diesel cam offer over gas, in terms of pulling capacity and all. Someone who thinks they need a big rig to tow their 16' boat to the lake for the weekend, or going to pick up a load of bricks from home depot to finish their honey do list is kidding themselves that they need a diesel. I damn sure don't need a diesel, but the lure of all that tire roasting torque and not worrying about pulling a 10k lb load is nice, but I wouldn't want to deal with all the extra crap involved with the emissions stuff.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts