Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am leaving for the lake later today na dI am pulling a boat so hopefully I can have full boost to tow the boat. so I have only had 10 PSI boost in 5th gear pulling a hill the rest of the time I only get like 5-6 PSI TUrbo shaft play is minimal, and boost leeks are not present. I have unplugged the EBPV, and I am getting plenty of fuel. I just installed a 3" down pipe and there is no change in boost. My Isspro boost gauge is tapped into the map sensor line, I even get the same readings from my auto enginuity for boost pressure. There are no codes except for an EBPV code because the sesor plug broke off the sensor. But this should not prevent it from boosting higher than 10 PSI (5-6 psi normally) I should also add that the boos build up is really slow. with the Down pipe it will start boosting at about 2000 RPM and wont reach full boost until 3000-3200 RPM. this is the only Powerstroke I have ever driven so I cant compare to another powerstroke. how fast should it build boost and what else can I check.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Boost leak or Exhaust leak for sure, if the turbo isn't toast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not an exhaust leak, or a boost leak. I would say its electrical because it has decent response now after fixing a hp fuel line the response is much better but the boost still only hits 10 PSI and levels out in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

well that guy is right.check donuts on up pipes.is turbo loose? try to move it.then get soap and water and spray boost tubes.see if there is bubbles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tested for boost leaks and there is no soot coming from the up pipes. + I put new donuts on the up pipes when i rebuilt the engine.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Honestly Thats all the more i really boost unless i have my camper on and i'm towing my boat. My engine is stock (no chip or tuner), but i do have 4 inch exhaust and an AFE intake. Sometimes i will only show 2lbs just cruising 55 on the highway empty. My truck feels like it has plenty of power and turbo sounds just fine. So i wouldn't think your too far off without a chip.

·
Registered
553 Posts
with out the chip in mine ill run about 10psi at 2200/60mph but and WOT i can reach 20psi

·
Registered
771 Posts
with out the chip in mine ill run about 10psi at 2200/60mph but and WOT i can reach 20psi
10 psi stock going 60mph/2200rpm seems pretty high for just cruising... and that would mean horrible highway mpg.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have tested for boost leaks and there is no soot coming from the up pipes. + I put new donuts on the up pipes when i rebuilt the engine.
Like maintain said, either a good leak somewhere, either on your engine or boost gauge line... or a shot turbo. What does your compressor wheel look like?

·
Registered
553 Posts
10 psi stock going 60mph/2200rpm seems pretty high for just cruising... and that would mean horrible highway mpg.
sorry i miss worded that. i meant that ill be around 3-4 cruising and then as i hit a little hill and roll into it ill reach 10psi. so what im meaning to say to not get it all mixed up is that if i floor it at 60 itll climb to 10psi

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

it sounds like you have a kinked boost tube or leaking. mine dont work cause i kinked it and had to fix it, with the soft tube. but if your truck is running fine and no leaks ? that must be it.so no worries,run it.

G

·
So

it sounds like you have a kinked boost tube or leaking. mine dont work cause i kinked it and had to fix it, with the soft tube. but if your truck is running fine and no leaks ? that must be it.so no worries,run it.
No worries like run it like it is or try to fix it?:dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if I am WOT in 5th gear it will only boost to 10 PSI pulling a boat. And if I hit a hill it will slow down and wont accelerate until I drop a gear or 2. The Turbo is completely fine with no shaft play and compressor housing is in great shape. Fuel pressure is great, and injectors pass buzz test with flying colors. I have an open filter intake and down pipe. Would a low Exhaust back pressure sensor signal cause this?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
fix psd

so it losing power up hill and loaded down.so just when the motor is hot?have you changed the O-rings on the IPR yet?and how much miles do you have on the injectors?and hows your hpop?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hpop is good and IPR is new with New Orings. Injectors have ~5000 miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 1997 Powerstroke that had a very similar problem. I could only make 11 psi boost with my chip cranked all the way up. Other than the low boost problem the truck ran great. Most people told me it was either an exhaust leak or a boost leak but I couldn't find any indication of either. It turned out to be a jammed up catalytic converter. The backpressure was so high that the exhaust gas velocity was not high enough to properly drive the turbo. I assume that yours has a cat on it too because it is a 1997. My truck now makes 23 psi boost. So long story short, if you haven't looked at the cat you might want to check it out. With your Auto Enginuity tool you can monitor backpressure. Stock exhaust should be around 15 psi at idle and no more than about 42 psi at WOT. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
well in 5th gear wot,my boost is around 10 also,im pretty sure thats normal,when i shift to 4th and crank it on stock setting,it will hit 15 psi,to hit that in 5th you would have to be going really fast i think.so try pulling the hills in 4th,i think you will then see around 15psi which is stock boost.also what are your egts like on these hills in 5th,and what does this boat weigh?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts