Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Tundra which has treated me very well, but it's headed towards some bigger repairs and it's always seemed inadequate for whatever "truck" things I needed it to do. So I started looking last year for a 7.3 that was an upgrade, or at least an equal to what I had now. Since I was in no rush, I could afford to be picky. That said, I wasn't afraid to buy something that needed work, but few people wanted to sell at a price that would make the work worth it.

So finally, somewhere around the 15th truck I looked at I finally struck a deal. The story of the deal belongs in a post all its own but without further ado, here is the truck, a 2002 F250 CCSB with 150k mi on it:

It has an AFE intake, 4in SS MBRP exhaust, coolant filter, 2in front lift with Bilstein shocks, F550 rear springs and new high pressure oil lines. It had a TS chip which supposedly damaged the torque converter so it was retuned with an SCT. The TC hasn't been replaced but I don't feel any problems currently. The truck also features the crappiest 90's AM/FM radio with the brightest flashing blue screen that makes night driving painful.

Since purchase, I replaced the batteries with two EverStart Maxx 65N batteries, replaced the serpentine belt, adjusted the steering box and replaced the vacuum pump and reservoir. Now I just have to get this crappy blue tint off the front windows so I can pass inspection...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Issues that still need addressing is replacing the TC, getting the power mirrors to work (I replaced the switch and it promptly caught fire), fixing some rust on the inside door bottoms, and doing something about the door open sensor circuit. The cluster says a door is open and the dome light stays on but the computer is reading that all doors are shut. It's probably something that I'm going to live with as signs point to a cluster problem.

The overhead console is saying I'm getting 20.5 avg mpg but only 250+/- miles to empty on a full tank. I haven't run enough diesel through it to calculate it myself. The gas gauge also bounces around +/- a quarter tank

And that darn radio needs to go. It's gonna get a Pioneer AVH 2700 or 3700 touch screen DVD player with a back up camera. My current method of backing up to a trailer until the tongue hits the top of the hitch has quite the pucker factor. Haven't missed yet though!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Its funny, almost a year ago I bought my first diesel up in Clifton Park NY...I am sure its a long story with your truck and I had to do some stuff to mine when I got it...

Out of curiosity what did you end of scooping it up for? I bought mine with 154k

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Where the TS knob was, you can fill that hole with an LED from any parts store and apply the GPR LED mod to your truck. Heck, why not if there's already a hole right?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I see the Mass Plate where you from ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nice truck! I like the lift. Looks like it's already to go for some 35's. :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I just spent the last 3 hours scraping off tint to get it inspected. After the first window, I realized I had a steam cleaner which is absolutely the only way to remove tint.

I am from eastern MA on the south shore. I bought the truck from a guy from the Diesels of New England (DONE) Facebook page. If anyone is on there, PM me. My name is Dave and I'll post some pictures there sometime this week.

There is no hole for the TS switch, which i found interesting. It was probably put under the dash. When I put in a Stancor relay, I will do the led at the same time. It's a bit slow to start, but takes the same time to start no matter the temp which leads me to believe the starter is weak.

New rims and tires are coming some day (gotta have the 18" OEM rims with the round holes) but these will stick around for a bit. They have brand new Nitto Terra Grapplers on them in 285/75/r16 I believe. Some friends have already said it looks like the truck skipped leg day...

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Dang I thought that was a drilled hole in the dash but now it looks like a toggle.

Reactions: Lt.Dan

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AgTires, you just made me go out in my underwear at 11 at night in the snow to check because I never noticed that. And it was, in fact, the hole from the TS chip. You were right and I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You win. (said no girlfriend ever)

Patriot, it feels pretty inferior actually haha. Obviously the F250 is better at what it was designed to do, but I can't believe how many stupid things are wrong with it. At least 75% of the switches in the truck don't work in some fashion (my power passenger seat moves forward but not backwards, my left mirror goes left and up only, the blower motor is intermittent, the left blinker on the dash is intermittent, the driver window up doesn't work 10% of the time, the door locks often forget 1 door, etc. ). These aren't big issues, but I never had any problem in the 'Yota that i didn't cause (fried the integration relay which is the circuit board for all accessory electrical systems).
Overall, I love the Ford haha, but darn is Toyota built an HD diesel.... ;)

My father came from a Chevy family and turned to Toyota and never looked back. Like any son, I took his advice on car purchases until I was informed enough to make my own. Every vehicle I've ever owned is sitting in my driveway currently which I think will make a good picture before I sell the Tundra. My father bought my reg cab 2wd 4cyl Tacoma off me and he loves that thing.

And for the one who asked earlier, I paid $10,200 for the truck. The seller took my first offer which caught me off guard haha. I figure I'll have it fixed to my liking for about $1,000 and I value the truck at about $12,500 at that point so I'm stoked on the deal it seems that I got

·
'consent of the governed'
5,687 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I got no problem with Toyota products. I only care if a truck can work and take a beating. Seats, lights, etc. I can bypass. Ability to overload and hit a Chicago pothole? Different story. Hope it works out good for you:ford:

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
AgTires, you just made me go out in my underwear at 11 at night in the snow to check because I never noticed that. And it was, in fact, the hole from the TS chip. You were right and I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. You win. (said no girlfriend ever)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ive done the late night walk myself for other issues discovered on the .org :hehe:

Dont feel like you're alone from having traded up from a Yota. I grew up driving a '92 7.3 IDI, parked it and purchased a brand new 5.7 Tundra when they first came out in 2007. While it was a hotrod, it felt cheap from the interior to the inferior body. I abused the heck out of the truck by hauling any and everything. I remember when I first got it, stepping on the wheel-well up to the side of the bed and crushed the wheel-well! Of course I became enraged and immediately jumped down and pounded it out with my fist from the underside but when has a real truck bed ever buckeled under the weight of a (then) 210lb man??? PLUS, I couldn't even easily change the dang oil without some special tool (WTH right???) purchased from Toyota! Dents, dings, scratches were EASY to obtain all around the body. Somebody's empty runaway shopping cart crippled the driver's door at one point! I told myself this was a $35k mistake and made one of the best purchases in my life by buying my 2001 7.3. In 2012, my 7.3 IDI's life was cut short and sent to the grave early when it was rear ended. Ive clutched to the powerstroke with a death grip ever since.

While there are some minor issues here and there with these older trucks, you cant substitute their robust quality! Congrats again on the purchase :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts