Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im not a NEWB to Ford Diesels, but I am a NEWB to this forum and to my 09 F350 XLT Lariat 4 Door, Long bed 4X4 Dually diesel with 1864 Miles.

Purchased the truck a week ago, and noticed that the "Cleaning Exaust Filter" light came on what seems all the time. This morning at 3 am while driving the little dash screen says to "Pull Over and find a place to stop now." Once I did pull over on an offramp and put the truck into "Park" the engine immediatly cut off and wouldn't even respond to any attempt of a restart. All the lights came on like it would be on a normal start up, but no juice to the starter.

After about an hour, the truck would finally turn over but not fire. We let the truck sit for 5 more hours and it will still only turn over and not fire. If it wsnt a Sunday and the dealership being closed...... ya get the idea.

The Wrench Symbol appears on the dash LCD screen now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
sounds like a DPF problem. my advice would be get it to a ford dealer get the problem figured out then delete the dpf to eliminate that problem ever again

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cory,

how do you delete the DPF? Is there a programmer/flash/plug in that does this? Which is the recomended method.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Cory,

how do you delete the DPF? Is there a programmer/flash/plug in that does this? Which is the recomended method.
You need a delete pipe and programmer to do so. I recommend Spartan or SCT custom tunes

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Cory,

i would def recommend deleteing it your milage will almost double! and power gains are crazy! i run the spartan Phalex tuner i used to run sct before they had custom tuning! its a good investment

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Delete pipe aka TEST PIPE. Gotcha.

I guess this will toast the warrenty? I havent been under my truck yet, is this DPF bolted in or welded in place?

What are the average costs for these 2 programers?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Delete pipe aka TEST PIPE. Gotcha.

I guess this will toast the warrenty? I havent been under my truck yet, is this DPF bolted in or welded in place?

What are the average costs for these 2 programers?
around 1200 with tunes and delete pipe. it is bolt on and buy the cat and dpf delete

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, How much louder would the truck be under normal driving and idleing conditions? This is my quiet truck, kinda needs to stay this way.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
the exhaust is going to be a lil louder for sure but inside cab noise you wont really notice a difference. and you can keep the stock dpf exhaust or get an aftermarket quiet muffler. i have straight pipe on mine still quieter than my 7.3 for sure at idle the exhaust isn loud compared to a 7.3 or 6.0

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I get a DPF delete pipe, you reccomend the CAT delete pipe also. The factory exaust can still be used along with the factory muffler, right??

I cant have this truck loud externally. We bought it because its almost silent.

I hate not being able to do what I want to do to this truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any way to get the truck started today?????

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
So if I get a DPF delete pipe, you reccomend the CAT delete pipe also. The factory exaust can still be used along with the factory muffler, right??

I cant have this truck loud externally. We bought it because its almost silent.

I hate not being able to do what I want to do to this truck.
yes you can buy one pipe to do both one can delete in in the driveway in about 30 min with no mechanic experiece and yes it will hook up to factory exhaust if that is to loud i am sure some one makes a quiet muffler you could buy bu i dont think it will be to loud for you.

- make a post about looking for a delete and tuner and one of the sponsers will give you a good deal i think i have bought all my stuff from cobbs diesel performance and stealth automotive they are both sponsers on this website and would love to get you hooked up with the stuff to get your 6.4 running the way it should

- and abut the warrenty i have been running a dlete for 20,000 miles i have returned my truck back to stock to take it in for service and my warrenty is still good it only takes about an hour to return my truck to stock performance

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Is there any way to get the truck started today?????
hmmm not that i know of if you had a tuner you could clear the codes and it would probley start right up. i had a no start problem one time and it was and exhaust sensor but i could clear it with my tuner and it started right up

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE!!!!

Ok, I broke the golden rule and used some starting fluid. Started, knocked like hell for about 2 minuets and blew white smoke like an old coal burning train, Exaust filter cleaning warning came on, blew a lot of crap out, and now it runs fine. For Now!!! Check engine light is on, prob due to the knocking. Taking it to the dealership first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE!!!!

WOW, If I could shoot someone for their ignorance this Service Writer would have been neturalized.

FYI, I never told him that I used Starting Fluid to get it started. I explained to him the problem about the Cleaning Exaust Filter cycle and how it comes on several times a day. He asked what I usually did when it came on. I told him that I usually keep driving around town and take care of the things that I need to get done. I figured it was a informative courtesy and not a warning.

He told me that when it comes on I have to drive 30 miles at around 45mph and to not shut the truck off, and that I SHOULD BE LUCKY THAT HE DOESNT VOID MY WARRENTY RIGHT NOW FOR ADMITTING TO HIM THAT I DIDNT. This kinda shocked me. He said that everything thats is wrong with my truck is directly operator error and could have been easily corrected if I would have done things the way that the service manuel says to do so.

I asked him if it was normal for the Cleaning Exaust Filter announcement to come on 2-3 times a day, and to get 7-8 MPG constantly.He didnt immediatly answer my question but returned back to the factory reccomendation of the 30 miles at 45mph. I yelled "BULL****, this truck is a week old, under 2000 miles, barely over 100 hours and its been doing this since I took delivery last Friday, and ITS ALL MY FAULT!!!!"

Thats about the time the GM came over and asked what was going on, and the Service writer said tht its pulling the codes for the DPF, Several Exaust Sensors, EGR Valve and Radiator, ICM and CPU codes. He also said that I overheated the exaust system so badly that my actions "FORCED" the truck to shut off and self preserve itself to avoid any further damage.

I explained to the GM that the truck has done this since delivery a week ago and the kinda said it is most likely not my fault.

I told him that im not an idoit and that I have owned diesel trucks for well over a decade, and if I didn't notice something this wrong then why would I not still be out driving.

All I can say to summerize this is that DONT EVER GO TO SMITH FORD in Spanish Fork, Utah. Customer Service is not one of their strong points, including insulting my wife and saying "Thank the tree huggers for the reason your truck has problems and the way you drive it"..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have a question Dave, have you ever given that truck hell or have you just kinda putt-putted it?
Its a daily driver, used for my company work. Mostly intown miles, towed the boat to the lake this weekend.
I have not jumped on it really, if I want to go have fun I get in my 04 which is much more suited for pissing off the local "Rice Burner" crews.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Its a daily driver, used for my company work. Mostly intown miles, towed the boat to the lake this weekend.
I have not jumped on it really, if I want to go have fun I get in my 04 which is much more suited for pissing off the local "Rice Burner" crews.
No what I was getting at, is that fact the DPF has a "coating" on it much like a new cat, that needs to be burned off with elevated EGT's. If you haven't gotten on it then your DPF will plug up really quick and regen will last forever, the point I'm trying to make is that the truck is made to be driven hard to operate correctly :thumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No what I was getting at, is that fact the DPF has a "coating" on it much like a new cat, that needs to be burned off with elevated EGT's. If you haven't gotten on it then your DPF will plug up really quick and regen will last forever, the point I'm trying to make is that the truck is made to be driven hard to operate correctly :thumb:
Driven hard to operate correctly, :) I tried to explain that to the wife yesterday and she told me to drop it or I was cut off.....Damn women and the power of the "P". either way since it has been "FIXED" by the dealership its been running smooth and problem free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts