Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 08' a few weeks ago. It went straight in to get lifted, gears, rims dpf delete, etc. I will get pics posted asap but so far i really like the truck. It is an F350 4x4 lariat crew cab short bed. Lifted it 7" with 37" toyo mt's on Centerline forged chrome 20" wheels(love the wheels but Centerline has terrible customer svc). I had Ford 4.30 gears installed, afe intake, MBRP exhaust and SCT's tuner with dpf delete program. Everything is great except i have a check engine light. SCT is working on the fix. I have the latest ford update and it will take a little bit for them to work that out. Other than that the truck runs great. I have only had it since the weekend so i really dont know what mpg i am getting. My speedo is off probably 7-8 mph at cruising speed. I should be able to get it within 5mph when all said and done.
i hope to get some pics posted up in the next few days.

·
Registered
813 Posts
sounds like a sweet truck!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Congrats Jason!!!

You jumped right on in with the mods didn't you? What made decide to do the DPF delete so soon? Gaylon get it done with good success?

I can't wait to see your new truck bud. Let me know how the mileage is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, he has had his on for a little bit now and all is good. No issues and he thinks he is getting 15-16 mpg. I will be really happy if i get somewhere near that. We both have 4.30's with 37" tires, he has a long bed i have a short. I do miss my old truck but a few weeks in this and i think that will be history. Its a comfortable ride, great power, looks good. I ordered it with the audiophile system in it but my fleet rep must have missed that or someone at ford did. I plan to upgrade the stereo down the road though. i have to have Sirius though. I cant stand FM radio anymore after having satellite for years.
i will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
post up some pics sounds great!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Yes, he has had his on for a little bit now and all is good. No issues and he thinks he is getting 15-16 mpg. I will be really happy if i get somewhere near that. We both have 4.30's with 37" tires, he has a long bed i have a short. I do miss my old truck but a few weeks in this and i think that will be history. Its a comfortable ride, great power, looks good. I ordered it with the audiophile system in it but my fleet rep must have missed that or someone at ford did. I plan to upgrade the stereo down the road though. i have to have Sirius though. I cant stand FM radio anymore after having satellite for years.
i will try to get some pics up tomorrow.
You should get that mpg....I run 37's and stock 3.73's and with my DPF delete and tuner I average about 15mpg About 18 highway only driving.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should get that mpg....I run 37's and stock 3.73's and with my DPF delete and tuner I average about 15mpg About 18 highway only driving.
I have what may be a silly question so please bear with me but i notice a lot of folks with big wheels making claims on MPG with the tunners and deletes. My question is how do are you able to calculate the MPG's when your ODO is off because of your tires? On my old F150 I had tires that were two sizes greater and when i was doing 70 on the speedo I was actualy doing 80, so i was actualy registering less miles on the ODO...

Just wondering because sinec i went to 37's on my F250 the lie of meter is stuck at 10 on the highway....

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I have what may be a silly question so please bear with me but i notice a lot of folks with big wheels making claims on MPG with the tunners and deletes. My question is how do are you able to calculate the MPG's when your ODO is off because of your tires? On my old F150 I had tires that were two sizes greater and when i was doing 70 on the speedo I was actualy doing 80, so i was actualy registering less miles on the ODO...

Just wondering because sinec i went to 37's on my F250 the lie of meter is stuck at 10 on the highway....

GPS..it dont lie about how far you have been or how fast you are going.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GPS..it dont lie about how far you have been or how fast you are going.
cool I did not know you were using a GPS... I guess i will have to break mine out and see what it says... :)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I drive 65-75 according to my GPS.

No I am not "pushing it" as I have gotten a few years older I realized that you get there about the same time running 70 as you do 80, cept insurance is cheaper and theres no paying of speeding tickets.

Mind you...running these trucks upwards of 7585 will KILL your mileage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No doubt on that. This is my 5th powerstroke and all have been really thirsty pushing 80 or above.
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm contemplating my next pickup... and I've been looking at the new Fords for a long time now. I've heard a lot of bad stories about the new 6.4's making terrible fuel economy. I want a new Ford but the shock of going from 21 hwy in my Cummins to 15 hwy in a new Ford would be terrible... is anyone getting decent fuel economy with em yet? Include people with DPF and EGR delete cause I'd do all that immediately. By the way, what's the curb weight on the new Fords? I've heard they're pretty heavy, but my Dodge weighs in at 8200 lbs with all my stuff (and still makes 21 mpg)... are the new Fords heavier than that?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I get 18 on the highway with 37's, not sure what it would get with stock size tires.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I get about 19.5 average going 66 mph. Faster is less. around 17.5 to 18 at 75.

Towing 30' fifth wheel 10.5 to 12 average 60 to 75 mph.

My truck is stock. Some people obviously get more by using tuners, intake and exhaust mods.

Exactly what size truck, wheels and gears are you talking about.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to SCT this morning and they put a new program in. Has even more power and the CEL light is off so all is good now! I have about an hour drive this weekend so i will start to watch the mpg closer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man! No money tree here. I have made good money and i have lost even more at times. I took good care of my 04 and sold it for a nice penny which helped me get into my new pretty easily. One day your on top, the next you could be on the ground.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts

I did mine old school.....I went by the mile marker on the side of the highway and I was .1 mile off for every mile so for 10 miles I went I actually went 11 miles and I always fill up my tank till I see the diesel in the filler neck and just divide miles by gallons.....as for the speedo there are putting up a new school up by the house and they already have a radar thing that tells you how fast you are going and its kinda strange cuz at 60 in the speedo I'm going 65 but if I bump it up to 70 I'm going 80 :tard:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get about 19.5 average going 66 mph. Faster is less. around 17.5 to 18 at 75.

Towing 30' fifth wheel 10.5 to 12 average 60 to 75 mph.

My truck is stock. Some people obviously get more by using tuners, intake and exhaust mods.

Exactly what size truck, wheels and gears are you talking about.
That's not bad. I'd be looking at a 4x4 crew cab of course and yours is a 4x2. Stock tires and highway gears, whatever they may be in the new pickups. Has the DPF and EGR deletes been helping fuel economy for anyone?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts