Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck lifted recently and I noticed this bar is hanging well below my axle. Looks like I need longer down rods (don't know the proper part name) from the frame to the sway bar. Can anybody tell me what I need to order to fix this?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought this would be an easy one....need a little help please.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
you need longer sway bar end links is all. I'm not sure if anyone makes them due to most only make them for the front. But I'm sure you can get some custom made for you if you really want them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Eric, I can see this getting either bent or ripped off the truck going through the ruts on the hunting land. Cant understand why this is not part of the suspension lift kit. Looks like a problem to me. I guess i'll have to weld and extension between the eyes to level it up. I'm just asking for opinions on this....is this what is normally done? I cant recall seeing this hanging from other trucks.

John

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine hangs below the axle just like yours. Icon lift kit. I am considering just unbolting the stupid thing on my truck. Easy enough to take off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine hangs below the axle just like yours. Icon lift kit. I am considering just unbolting the stupid thing on my truck. Easy enough to take off.
I thought about removing it too, it would only take a few minutes. I just dont know what it would do to the truck from a stability standpoint. I do haul skid steers and mini excavators. Anybody removed this from their truck?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I thought about removing it too, it would only take a few minutes. I just dont know what it would do to the truck from a stability standpoint. I do haul skid steers and mini excavators. Anybody removed this from their truck?
I tow often too, so I won't know how much of a difference it makes until I remove it. FWIW I have seen many lifted trucks running around without it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill try removing it and see how it does. Thanks Dieselkane.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I used to have an 8" lift on 38s not too long ago and I didn't order my truck with the tow package so I didn't have the rear sway bar. But I never had any issues with out it on there that I felt my truck was a danger on the road. Granted with the sway bar installed you will have a stiffer rear while turning and such, but I doubt you will notice a night and day difference. Now if the rear was the same size as the front or larger I can see there being a dramatic difference in the handling characteristics of the truck.

On edit:
My opinion remove it tow what you normally would tow and see what you think. And if you feel you would rather have it on there then find a stock heigh truck and see what the angle of the sway bar is. And lengthen your links to make the angle the same. Now if stock is just making the bar perpendicular to the ground then its even easier just need to get a level out and see how much you need to add to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it off and went a few miles down the road with no load. Made no difference without a load on it. Tomorrow i'm gonna drag a trailer with about 14K on it down a slow road to see if I can tell a difference. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I took it off and went a few miles down the road with no load. Made no difference without a load on it. Tomorrow i'm gonna drag a trailer with about 14K on it down a slow road to see if I can tell a difference. Thanks for all the help.
no problem. thats what these sites are for

·
Registered
72 Posts
i believe the rear sway bar came with the camper package, and ford discontinued that package in 09. thats why you don't see a lot of trucks with them. i don't know of a lift kit that has the extension links. The front sway bar handles most of the body roll of the truck. If you had a cab over camper that was top heavy, it makes a big difference. i would remove it and you will never notice a difference with an empty bed. no matter what you tow, bumper pull, 5th or goose, they all hook to the center of the truck and typically don't cause body roll like a cab over camper would. If it was meant to help body roll for every day driving, i would think it might be a little bigger. my buddy's trail blazer ss has one that is twice as big from factory.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
look up and check out Timbrens rubber shocks, they mount in 30 min, they engage on the axle when u are under load....huge difference in cornering while towing
and they are only a couple hundred bucks:icon_ford:

Vehicle Suspension Kits - Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts