Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have upgraded I hope.

Just got a Job 1 FX4 with 140k on the clock. It has had a dealer installed 2009 long block since 68k. One owner. All services at the dealer. Great shape. Oasis shows all recalls and the engine replacement done. No codes.

Here's my dilemma/problem.....It has had the DPF and DOC removed but only has an Edge Insght monitor. Runs good, good power.

Should I run out and buy a tuner? Is it possible that it has a dpf delete tune already? What are the problems with dpf gone and no dpf delete tune?
What to do? What to do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
:welcome1: A DPF delete will make the truck limp without a proper tune for it. It might already have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what has me concerned. How do I figure out what I have?

·
Registered
116 Posts
ask the guy where you got it from it probably has a tune loaded into it otherwise the engine light should be on i would think...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to do that, but it was a auction vehicle. Have all the original paperwork but can't find the guy's name and location.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Buy an h&s xrt pro, mini maxx, or black maxx and tune the truck with it. It has the stock flashes on it so it doesn't matter if the "stock" tune isn't stock. Problem solved!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The only issue I can see arising is if you take it to the dealer. If they happen to install a new flash, you are doomed as the truck will almost immediately go into limp mode.

Otherwise, continue driving it and when you decide to get a tuner of your choice, it should install just fine.

By chance, there was nothing in the glove box, center counsel or under the seats that resembles a tuner?

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide.com app.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I've found so far is the Edge Insight Monitor. It's working fine. Used it to check for lurking codes.

I was getting 15-16 MPG on the drive home today, so it must have some kind of tune.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
if it didn't have a tune loaded i would imagine you'd go into limp mode and throw dpf pressure sensor codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lo and Behold! The Edge Insight I thought I had is in fact a full blown Edge Racing Tuner.

So I do have a tune after all. I still have to find out what I have with this thing and how to use it.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I hear dpf and doc delete I know the dpf bu what is doc?? Sorry but I'm new to the world of 6.4

2004 f250, dual 5" chrome stacks 285/75/16 at 10 ply, Vivian's looney (awesome) duplicolor spray bed liner on my rockers and fender lip 10" high

·
Registered
60 Posts
doc is the diesel oxidizing catalyst or a catalytic converter or cat in a gas vehicle

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh ok thanks!!

2004 f250, dual 5" chrome stacks 285/75/16 at 10 ply, Vivian's looney (awesome) duplicolor spray bed liner on my rockers and fender lip 10" high

·
Registered
2 Posts
Figured no need to post a new thread seeming how i am having a similar situation. 08 f350 6.4 with DOC/DPF deleted. No tuner, no aftermarket work apparent. Wondering if the truck may have been flashed with a dpf delete tune then unplugged? No warning lights, zero smoke even when punched and getting pretty good fuel mileage. Runs smooth. thanks

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Very possible. The tuners can flash the PCM, then be removed and left in center counsel or stuck in a closet somewhere. No need for them to remain plugged in unless it also doubles as a monitor.

If deleted as you say, then most likely the previous owner kept the tuner. Unfortunately for him, he won't be able to use it to tune another truck as you can only tune one truck at a time did it becomes vin locked to that vehicle.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide App.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if I want to get a spartan tuner. Should I get it flashed to oem so the tuner can save the proper factory settings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts