Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 f250 that I have not had long, it is completly stock. It has started blowing lots of white smoke while accelerating from a stop or going down the road, it will stop for a little bit and then do it again, and it dosent say cleaning exhaust filter. I was wondering if it could be a clogged dpf? If anyone has had the same problems or any ideas as what it could be please let me know? Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you notice if your fuel mileage has gone down as well? When my gf's 08 cleans the dpf the mileage drops off to about 8-10 mpg and blows white smoke like crazy. Her truck also doesnt say when its in cleaning mode. If it is blowing alot of smoke all the time you may want to have it checked out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
are you loosing coolant? could be egr coolers leaking coolant into the exhaust stream and burning it off in the dpf and cat. if so, you will have to replace the dpf and cat due to contamination along with the leaking coolers. also, the clamps are one time use so if you replace coolers, get new clamps

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar problem. EGR became stuck open which caused lots of white smoke. However, in that instance, the truck sputtered and had very little power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed you said it is not during regen.

Is it happening in humid conditions, or rain, after running at a steady speed for a while?

Is it accompanied by the engine stumbling?

·
Registered
55 Posts
seen this kinda thing a few times, could just be condisation in the intercooler, there is an ssm about that.
pull the lowere cac tube and look for water or oil.
i had one the other day with a leaking injector and it overfilled the crankcase so bad that it was sucking a oil/fuel mixture up through the breather tube and FILLED the intercooler. best way to eliminate that as a possible issue is to shortstick the dipstick and check the oil level.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have you had the recall flash done on the ecm; it correct the issue of the dpf cleaning happening more often then needed?

·
Registered
530 Posts
seen this kinda thing a few times, could just be condisation in the intercooler, there is an ssm about that.
pull the lowere cac tube and look for water or oil.
i had one the other day with a leaking injector and it overfilled the crankcase so bad that it was sucking a oil/fuel mixture up through the breather tube and FILLED the intercooler. best way to eliminate that as a possible issue is to shortstick the dipstick and check the oil level.
What does "shortstick the dipstick" mean????

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a fleet manager for a distribution company here in az. I am also the mechanic. i run 13 6.4l f350s ive had this problem with all of them. A. Poor quality fuel B. Moisture in the Charge air cooler. C. Coolant entering exhaust through egr cooler. D. ECM update needed. regen mode. Thats all i have seen and repaired myself. There are other cause but those are the ones ive seen the most.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What does "shortstick the dipstick" mean????
dont run the dipstick all the way in, run it down untill the bottom of the yellow part hits the metal tube, and then bring it back up and see where the level is at, it should be at the bottom of the hatch marks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My truck had been running great all summer, good mileage and infrequent regens. It has just over 49K miles. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that mileage went way down. Temps are now below freezing at night and 50's during the day and they are switching to winter blend. I also noticed that when it now goes into regen, it will just flash the cleaning exhaust message, then back to the previous display (it used to stay on the cleaning exhaust message until I hit the display button - anyone know about any update that changed this?). I started paying attention and noticed it goes into regen as soon as it comes up to temp every time I drive it. I have about a 30 min commute. A few times, it started blowing white smoke at acceleration and fogging out the cars behind me. It does this for a few minutes, then clears up. I also noticed losing coolant.

I took it to Ford, thinking a bad EGR as stated here and hoping for warranty repair. They found a leaking top hose and told me that the loss of coolant causes the sensors to read improperly. They replaced the hose and coolant and gave me the latest ECM flash. I drove it off and as soon as it came up to temp, regen and white smoke.

I got it home and pulled the lower intercooler hose to ck for water - as some have posted, but nothing. I drove it a couple other times, just to see if it needed to cycle before getting clean enough to go back to normal. It still goes to regen when it comes up to temp. I guess it will be back to the dealer on Monday to see if they have a new answer. Grrrr.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed you said it is not during regen.

Is it happening in humid conditions, or rain, after running at a steady speed for a while?

Is it accompanied by the engine stumbling?
Mine does it after running at steady speed for awhile in humid conditions.
Already changed CAC twice. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
5,979 Posts
This is an old thread, and is nothing new. It isn't the egr valve... It might be a cracked cooler, but its most likely regen. He just isn't letting it finish.

But again, old thread... Old news. He probably hasn't been on the forums in years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if you got the problem fixed but check the sensors for the dpf filter. A bad sensor will send bad info and kick the regen process on even if it doesn't need it frequent regens will saturate the dpf and ruin it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts