Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an '08 F250 with a 6.4 a week ago, really nice truck with 49K miles, gets 13-14 MPG. I am hoping to get to the mid or upper teens MPG with normal driving, empty. I am clueless, what changes should I make? there are a gazillion products with lots of promise. I have to think some are good. Is a Banks exhaust and programmer the way to go? Does the EGR need to go? I'm not looking for a good 1/4 mile ET, I'm looking for the best economy I can achieve from a big and heavy truck. I don't care if my truck sounds like a giant blow dryer after the mods. I really like this truck, it is a joy to drive and looks awesome. It's bone stock. I have had many nice F150's over the years, this is way better!
Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,157 Posts
I get 13-14 tuned and fully deleted, leveling kit with 35's

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
479 Posts
The best mod I have done for mileage is slide the seat (I'm shortish)all the way back and move the pedals all the way forward so I don't stomp it to the floor all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Delete the emissions parts. Just don't be stupid about it and set the truck up to blow black smoke all the time. Not only will your fuel mileage dramatically increase, you'll increase the life of the motor.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What he said.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The best mod I have done for mileage is slide the seat (I'm shortish)all the way back and move the pedals all the way forward so I don't stomp it to the floor all the time.
HaHa I do the same mod and it works fairly well until my azz starts sliding forward and the peddle gets smashed again :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Deleted, modded, and driving conservatively and I average around 13-14 in the city and approach 16 to 17 on the highway. For a truck this big, I am pleased with that. It actually gets better mileage than my wifes Navigator.

·
Registered
120 Posts
would the KEM tunes get better mileage then the regular HD tunes on the H&S? Im spending about 100$ a week right now on diesel.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I'm with a lifted truck on 35's, best mod: Spartan'd and these trucks will coast for miles before having to stop. A disciplined right foot will obviously help too..

I still average 16-17 in 50-50 driving....

Kevin

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have a Job1 CC, KR, SB, 4x4 with 4 inch lift on 35's with DPF and EGR delete tuned with an H&S but set on stock.
For the last 7 weeks I have been driving a 140 mile stretch of road for a remote worksite and am averaging [email protected] and [email protected] Around town I am getting about 13 which is normal.

I was really surprised to see such good freeway numbers as painful as it is to keep her at 65, however this is better then normal even for me. One thing I have recently started doing though is adding a quart of Tranny fluid to every tank of fuel at the suggestion of a good friend. Anyone else do this? any experience with trans fluid or the old standby Marvel's Mystery oil?

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
I have a Job1 CC, KR, SB, 4x4 with 4 inch lift on 35's with DPF and EGR delete tuned with an H&S but set on stock.
For the last 7 weeks I have been driving a 140 mile stretch of road for a remote worksite and am averaging [email protected] and [email protected] Around town I am getting about 13 which is normal.

I was really surprised to see such good freeway numbers as painful as it is to keep her at 65, however this is better then normal even for me. One thing I have recently started doing though is adding a quart of Tranny fluid to every tank of fuel at the suggestion of a good friend. Anyone else do this? any experience with trans fluid or the old standby Marvel's Mystery oil?
Hand Calculated? I'm almost inclined to call BS on those numbers...

I also don't think Tranny Fluid is good for common rail motors... I can see in 7.3 or 6.0 or even the 5.9s you would be fine, but I don't think you should be doing that in a common rail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If someone had told me that the possible gains associated with doing a DPF delete/tune install would be as good as I have found that they are...I would have thought they were exaggerating. I have a 2008 F250 with a 4" lift and 35" tires on 22" rims. Two weeks ago, I did a DPF delete by using a new 4" downpipe-back exhaust system and a 250+ HP DPF delete tune from Spartan Diesel using my Spartan Phalanx (DashDAQ) tuner. Prior to the tune, my Fuel Economy (per the Lie-O-Meter) was running at 12.2 mpg....with most of my driving around town since I had last reset it a few months ago. After the DPF delete/tune install and driving for 2 weeks with ALL around town driving my Fuel Economy is currently at 17.0. This measured fuel economy doesn't take into account my larger tires...because I haven't changed the tune yet to account for them...so it's actually about 7% higher. In addition to the HUGE improvement in fuel economy, the truck has a kick like I never expected a truck it's side would or could....it literally jumps when the turbos get spooled. I really can't say enough about the massive improvement this has made for my truck...or the DASHdaq...or the tunes delivered by Spartan. All that said, I AM driving conservatively...with only occasional use of the power the tune provides. I have not yet had an opportunity to do a long highway test or pulling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What everyone else above said. It's really all about how you drive it. Big things that do help are get rid of the stock air filter and the wretched DPF, which also requires that you buy a tuner that will allow you to "remove" the DPF and buy a DPF delete pipe. Don't rely on the computer a.k.a. the lie-o-meter to give you accurate mileage. Mine always shows 12."something" mileage yet when i calculate it by hand I'm getting 16-18 mpg. That is driving like a grandpa of course...very slow acceleration to reach speed limit in town and out on the freeways 65 mph. It is very difficult to keep your foot off that accelerator because these trucks will just flat haul gluteous maximous with a tuner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts