Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ford One Ton 6.3L diesel and I am looking at improving my fuel mileage. Does anyone have an input on what to buy and where. I am looking into a programmer, but with so many out there--which one is the best? Any advice will be helpful.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Number 1, there is no such thing as a 6.3l powerstroke. Its the 6.4l

Your not going to get any miliege benefits unless you get rid of the DPF.

Running a programmer and keeping the DPF is going to cause for alot of extra Soot in the DPF, and which will end up causing it to need to be replaced, and they are NOT CHEAP!! Not to mention you will get just bout zero benefits, MPG wise, running a programmer with the DPF still on.

so really

If you don't wanna do the DPF delete, your better off to just keep the truck stock.:thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah--it is a 6.4l---I am posting this for my husband and forgive me!!! All I know is that he wants to increase the fuel mileage and do something with the air intake... and whatever else to improve the mileage.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Number 1, there is no such thing as a 6.3l powerstroke. Its the 6.4l

Your not going to get any miliege benefits unless you get rid of the DPF.

Running a programmer and keeping the DPF is going to cause for alot of extra Soot in the DPF, and which will end up causing it to need to be replaced, and they are NOT CHEAP!! Not to mention you will get just bout zero benefits, MPG wise, running a programmer with the DPF still on.

so really

If you don't wanna do the DPF delete, your better off to just keep the truck stock.:thumb:
every thing you just said is right on track!!!! :agree: oh its a 6.4:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 F-450, automatic with 4:30 gears. I currently have four tuners that I am trying to get better mileage. I have a SCT, hypertech, superchip and bully dog pup. I have the superchip on right now, and I do have the DPF delete still on the truck. If I run 2000 RPM, 55MPH I can get 19 to 20 miles per gallon on flat highway. I have a AFE cold air intake that is throwing codes, and AFE said they are working on a fix, but I have it off now and I have been calling AFE for over 5 months and still no fix. So I could not recommend this product until they fix my problem. Some 2008's are not throwing codes with the AFE intake, but mine is one that is and they do not have a fix as of yet.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Call Matt At Spartan Diesel Technologies. I cannot post a link to him because of forum rules and he is not a site sponsor. just google him......hes got the best(that I know of) programming for the new 6.4s......

·
Registered
529 Posts
well you dont HAVE to remove the DPF to get better milage, however removing it and getting a custom programmer will give you the best milage improvments. there is alot of warranty stuff you have to consider before doing the DPF delete. my dad wanted to keep his warranty so he just bought a superchip and that picked up his milage a mile or so per gallon (its a 3/4 ton with 3.73s)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
well you dont HAVE to remove the DPF to get better milage, however removing it and getting a custom programmer will give you the best milage improvments. there is alot of warranty stuff you have to consider before doing the DPF delete. my dad wanted to keep his warranty so he just bought a superchip and that picked up his milage a mile or so per gallon (its a 3/4 ton with 3.73s)
Is this hand calculated?

Seriously i dont see him picking up that much with the DPF still on.

Also, running a tuner with the DPF still on is a BADDDDDDDDDD idea. Its going to ruin the DPF prematurely, and it is NOT going to be covered under warranty because there was a tuner on it. And yes, they'll know it had a tuner because of the extreme excess amount of soot in the DPF. And you might wanna check the price of a new DPF. It is NOT cheap. Just ask julian, he found out the hard way i believe.

Basically what i'm saying is. It doesn't matter if you do the DPF delete or not, if you stick a tuner on it, your warranty goes bye bye.

So, i will say once again, if you want your warranty, might as well just keep the truck stock:thumb:

·
Registered
529 Posts
yes that was hand calculated, about 1.2 mpg, the lie-o-meter shows about 3 mpg improvments. the truck has 45k on it and the DPF was replaced once before the tuner, its been back to the dealer twice since the tuner was installed for radiator leaks and they didnt say anything? i guess if it gets clogged we will pull out the tuner and play dumb :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts