Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, posted this in another section, but dunno if right one so will try here....if not allowed ill delete it.

I work at a demo company in the shop and we have a 6.0 in here i was hoping to get help with.

About a month and a half ago i did headgaskets on it. new turbo, some other stuff, egr delete.

Was told truck ran great by the foreman who drives it. Then last week it came in he said wouldn't go over 50mph and a "noise". the noise was turbo barking. i did a quick look over my work before scanning and saw the wiring harness to the EBP sensor was messed up. replaced it and took for a drive. still doing it. boost very fast, and dosent like to shift.

i scanned it and has egr codes and p0046. i checked and have continuity from PCM to VGT sensor. VGT sensor OHMed out 3.6 at EOT reading 80 degrees. read supposed to check at 73, but didnt drop any more in a 20 degree drop so think its good and was new with the turbo.

where should i turn to next to check? the "checklist" i found said check harness, VGT sensor, PCM. I dont want to just assume a PCM is to blame.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,862 Posts
The PCM is the last thing to suspect!

If the wiring has continuity and you can see no wiring or connector issues, then that code says to replace the VGT actuator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you bismic. you think i should replace it even if it ohmed out ok? possible sticking internally?

·
5,862 Posts
Code P0046 is set when a short to ground, open, or short to power is identified in the VGTCV or wiring between the PCM and VGTCV. This circuit is a continuously monitored circuit that takes less than 1 second to set.

With that code, I don't see it as an issue of "sticking".

Are you sure the connector is on tightly and not damaged?

I sure hate to recommend replacing a new (and relatively expensive) part. That connector has a history of causing issues, but you have checked that out also. All I can say is to double check the electrical system. If all that is fine, then I guess I would replace the solenoid.

Where did you get the turbo from (and did the new VGT actuator come with it)? If so, is there a warranty?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes new actuator with the turbo. got it thru a vender i used at my previous shop called Garden State Diesel. never had an issue with their stuff. i will be going thru all the wiring today for a 3rd time as well as getting another set of eyes on it just to make sure then will be calling them about it to see what they say. it would have a warranty. i just wanna make sure i cover all basis before contacting them with the issue saying their part is defective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and yes, i did check the connector. no broken tabs, clicks on tights, i even tried to tighten the pins a bit to make better contact but no go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was also woundering, i took the egr and the cooler out of the truck. no tuner. higher ups didnt want the tuner in it. figured all would do would be cause a check engine light. does that somehow send a signal to the VGT? i dont have anything to show me where the signal to VGT comes from other then PCM

·
5,862 Posts
VGT operation is only from the PCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts