Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
OK, the injector coil pole pieces are probably full of metal flakes and that is why the system will pass an electrical test but not click
you need to find the source of the metal -- cam shaft, low pressure oil pump, crankshaft are possible sources
The injectors may be able to be cleaned from the metal particles on the magnet poles and spool valve

How did the metal get past the oil filter? Was there so much metal the filter clogged, and bypassed or an incorrect filter cap combo?

Inspection of the cam and lifters would be top of my list -- part can be seen by removing the HPOP
the rest from removing the heads

·
Registered
918 Posts
The filter bypass is set at 20psi. Cold starts, excessive contaminants like metal particles, or whatever, it can bypass. I know some people believe the valves may open at every cold start until the viscosity drops, usually indicated with the drop in pressure.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,869 Posts
This drum has been beaten since post 58 - 3 days ago. Seems to me it has been ignored.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
the thing is there wasn’t a **** load of metal in the filter. You could see that there was metal chips but it wasn’t enough to clog anything.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
the thing is there wasn’t a **** load of metal in the filter. You could see that there was metal chips but it wasn’t enough to clog anything.
Then why are the injectors not working?

·
Registered
918 Posts
the thing is there wasn’t a **** load of metal in the filter. You could see that there were metal chips but it wasn’t enough to clog anything.
What makes you think metal chips in the filter are normal?

I'm one of the guys who think the filter gets bypassed on initial startup. We find too much trash on the HPOP screen for it not to.

My HPOP screen...... from bearing material getting scraped out.

IMG_3704.jpg IMG_5261.jpg

·
5,869 Posts
What makes you think metal chips in the filter are normal?

I'm one of the guys who think the filter gets bypassed on initial startup. We find too much trash on the HPOP screen for it not to.

My HPOP screen...... from bearing material getting scraped out.

View attachment 767692 View attachment 767693
I agree about the possibility of bypassing the filter on startup. No 100% proof of it (but the trash on the reservoir screen is hard to refute), so I usually just don't even mention it in the heat of an oil discussion, lol. That said, that bypass possibility is one reason why I will not change from a 5W40 - I want a low viscosity on startup. One of these days I need to put a pressure gauge on the LPO .......

Reactions: TooManyToys

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Agreed, I had one too briefly. It's now part of my must list.
Back to driving my old '79 since my '06 was stolen(5-22-20) -- the '79 has a real oil gauge

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Back to driving my old '79 since my '06 was stolen(5-22-20) -- the '79 has a real oil gauge

View attachment 767695
Thats a nice looking old truck. I want an old F100 short bed badly. Im going to get one as soon as I can stop throwing money at the Excursion, assuming I'm not dead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Is there any special way to flush the oil system so I can make sure there’s no more metal in it?

·
Registered
918 Posts
From my perspective, you need to find the source of the metal as the highest priority.

To fully clean the block with any certainty is a full disassembly, removing the front and rear oil rail plugs, and solvent rinse with also using bottle brushes all of the oiling channels. It's what I did.

·
5,869 Posts
An oil sample sent off to be analyzed might help also. You might see high iron, high chromium, or high aluminum, or etc. But again, unfortunately the window may be passed for that. There is always more metal than you can see (ie microscopic contaminations that are bad for engine wear).

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Sunlight or a strong LED light, then use a strong magnet to pass over the surface of the contaminated oil -- steel and cast iron will follow the magnetic field -- aluminum and brass will not

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Where would I send an oil sample to? And also I tried that magnet trick but I don’t think I had enough light. I still have all of the old oil so I can try it again. And the disassembly of the motor will start soon.

·
5,869 Posts
Blackstone is as good as any

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Just thought I’d give a quick update for anyone who was wondering what happened with the truck, and a thank you to all who helped. I would’ve never figured this out if it wasn’t for you guys, thanks! I replaced all of the injectors, the ficm wiring harness, new nipples and seals for hpo rail, Oil cooler, and it came back to life. My assumption is the guy who owned it before me, did the oil cooler himself. He must’ve gotten some **** in the oil cooler valley which must have taken the injectors out. Now just a little love needs to be given to the bed rails, and it’s a solid truck. Thanks again for your help everyone, it is much appreciated.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts