Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 f-250 6.0 power stroke that will not start. motor cranks and sounds healthy, but will not fire. when I turn the key on I hear no injector clicking. just cranks and cranks, doesn't even try to fire. anyway, I hooked up my phone scan tool app to the truck and took a screenshot of some vitals while cranking, I will attach the screenshot below. I performed an injector electrical self test with the app, it said it passed the test but oddly enough I didn't hear any of the injectors click. Also, I suspected low pressure oil pump at first because the gauge on the dash was not reading anything while cranking so I took the oil filter out and cranked it and sure enough low pressure pump is fine. the oil had lots of metal in it though. I'm thinking maybe the HPOP ate itself? not sure. I'm hoping not, but at this point, a lot is pointing towards HPOP. I am new to ford diesels especially new ones and I am also new to high pressure oil operated engines, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
The HPOP on the later engines is pretty reliable, so I do not think that is the source of the metal -- anything is possible tho
can you identify the type of metal? maybe pass a magnet thru some oil and see if the particles try to follow
I would drain some into a clean container -- the "bottom" oil should be some dirtier, so you can see the particles better
use a LED light and a neo magnet if you have those

ICP volts at 0.24 is basically nothing for pressure -- so there is a leak -- likely the STC fitting
however the 84% is only a commanded value -- the IPR may not be actually closing off to build pressure

an air test would be a place to start -- I prefer to do it thru the IPR port
you need the fitting a short hose and ball valve to connect to your air hose

Here is a vid that shows testing the IPR and HPOP

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Here is the one I was looking for

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
It does that sometimes, restart or click OK

Yeah, I understand being busy -- still trying to get information on the fine upstanding citizens that stole my '06, trailer, and 4 wheeler -- 5-22-20

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
So the metal was in the oil filter housing?
have you checked the low pressure (oil) regulator?

·
5,870 Posts
Also, you most likely have a low battery and you are putting your FICM at risk

B1318:
Batt voltage low: Battery Voltage Low VSM, Battery Voltage High Rear Air Suspension Control Module, Battery Voltage Low 4x4 Module, Battery Voltage Low HEC, Battery Voltage Low RCM
Battery Voltage Low - GEM-Control Timer and instrument Cluster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the metal was in the oil filter housing on top of the engine. & I’m gonna charge the batteries again later today, already charged them once.

·
5,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
About 8 o'clock just behind the front crank pulley

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Here is a visual...

I found needle bearings in mine... hopeing you don't.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to try that now. Finally have some time on my hands to mess around with it. I’ll update as soon as I find something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't able to check the pressure regulator as I could not find a 12 mm Allen wrench. Going to have to go out and buy one. But, I got my scanner working. I have 40 psi coming from the HPOP while cranking. Ordered the fitting to hook shop air up to high pressure oil system, going to test that when it comes in.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I wasn't able to check the pressure regulator as I could not find a 12 mm Allen wrench. Going to have to go out and buy one. But, I got my scanner working. I have 40 psi coming from the HPOP while cranking. Ordered the fitting to hook shop air up to high pressure oil system, going to test that when it comes in.
40psi? What are you reading that with and what PID are you looking at? Have you cranked the engine over with the oil filter out and cap off to see if oil quickly fills the filter housing? If you dont have any help use the wire on the passenger fender to the positive battery terminal with the key in the off position so it doesnt start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
40 psi at the icp sensor. And I have done the test oil fills the housing.
Something doesn't seem right with that. What is ICP voltage?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
5,870 Posts
Could you post a picture of your engine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure what icp voltage is I didn't see it in my sensor list. I'll have to look again tomorrow, batteries in truck died. And I'll take a picture also.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
The voltage reading is always correct, the pressure reading may come from the inferred table in the programming
so, if you want to know what is really happening to the sensor, you must use the voltage reading

What are you using to monitor pressure(voltage)?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts