Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So way back in 2011 I challenged myself to dive in and fix my 6.0 with a BPD kit. I knew nothing about motors or diesels, but I can tighten and loosen bolts ;-)... How hard could it be? ;-) My PSD has been running flawlessly since then - +50k miles since the BPD kit with the support of this forum...

until today - I'm seeing lots of black smoke on idle and copious amounts while accelerating. Engine is running 'ok' - perhaps a little rough... outside temps are ridiculous hot lately, almost 100º every day.

In addition to the smoke I noticed a few times today the ECT run up from it's normal 192 up to 208 for no apparent reason, then right back down...

I don't get it - any ideas whats going on? degas bootle is normal level and clean EC1 fluid, EOT is normal (~190), boost pressure & engine power is normal. Pretty much everything the CTS can me tell seems normal - ICP pressure, fuel pressure remains at 61-62 (blue spring upgrade) FICM voltage, etc etc. Diagnostics are throwing a #6 glow plug code, but I can't imagine that has anything to do with this issue.

Any thoughts? Do I have EGR valve going bad? and injector stuck?

thanks!
-dave

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Sounds like an injector to me. I'd do a buzz test first. That may tell the story or you may have to get some more thorough diagnostics done. Forscan can do a buzz test and it's a free download for PC. I wouldn't run it much with the current issue, if it is an injector, you can burn a piston if it gets too bad.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
I'm gonna go with Dexter that it is a bad injector, you could un plug injectors until the issue goes away and then go from there
Well yeah, if you want to use logic and stuff you could do that.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an injector to me. I'd do a buzz test first. That may tell the story or you may have to get some more thorough diagnostics done. Forscan can do a buzz test and it's a free download for PC. I wouldn't run it much with the current issue, if it is an injector, you can burn a piston if it gets too bad.
Thanks G8orFord - I'm not familiar with the buzz test. I checked out FORScan - I'll need to borrow a pc - looks like the iOS Lite version doesn't support testing(?) Just a mac here :-(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a really dumb question - How do I unplug an injector? Do I do that with the engine running?

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z73qNbGVkD7u2b7h1

They're held in place with a C-clip type connector. You'll have to remove the clip, then the connector will unplug easily. Be very careful with those clips they are easily dropped into oblivion. Use a pair of needle noise pliers or similar, if possible, to insure you don't drop them both on removal and install.

Edit: Both treed and schooled. Didn't know you could push them down. :doh:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I started it up this morning - no smoke, but running *really* rough. Shut it down pretty quickly... didn't get a chance to read DTC's

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I would use this as an excuse to get AutoEnginuity with the ford IDS pack. Unfortunately, this is a PC Windows only, so you'd need a laptop to go with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got a shake to it? probably a bad injector for sure, you don't have to have the truck running to check DTC's if it popped one in that short of a time frame
oh ya, it was shaking - sounding pretty unhappy... I'll check for codes when I get home from work

·
Premium Member
8,079 Posts
I would use this as an excuse to get AutoEnginuity with the ford IDS pack. Unfortunately, this is a PC Windows only, so you'd need a laptop to go with it.
Riffraff has a package deal on AE with the Ford pack for $360. With just a quick search that looked like a decent deal.

Reactions: G8orFord

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm thinking my varying ECT - from 194 spiking to 208 a few a few times is maybe a separate issue - like a sticking thermostat? or could that be related to a injector somehow

·
Premium Member
8,079 Posts
I like doing business with RiffRaff, always got what I ordered and pretty quick shipping, but @[email protected] has the same deal and he's also great to deal with and has a presence here.
TOOLS/DIAGNOSTICS | CNC Fabrication LLC
^^^ This x2 I'd get it from Corey first, I just did a quick google search when I posted the Riffraff deal.

OP, not sure what's causing the temp swings, could be Tstat or maybe even the sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
So OP, I'm just throwing this out there, what version of OS/X do you have ( I'm guessing you meant OS X not IOS which is found on IPAD/Iphne) As long as you have Mavericks and newer you should have Bootcamp on the device. this utility basically partitions your hard drive for you which allows for dual boot so you can load windows 7 or 10 on your MAC/OSX device.

So me, I currently Run OS X 10.11 w/ Win 7 on my other partition to run all of my VW/AUDI diagnostic and CAD/Solidworks programs.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

But based off of what everyone is saying first best guess would say injector. like what the guys are saying, if you say unplug a connector to an injector the cal would drop and you'd feel a shutter/ noise variant... well if you unplug one and it does nothing different... then chances are that cal is your issue. same concept with an Ignition coil on a gas motor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got a shake to it? probably a bad injector for sure, you don't have to have the truck running to check DTC's if it popped one in that short of a time frame

Yup - Have a 0281 - #7 contribution code. #7 is the easiest to reach isn't it? :)

In all seriousness, I'm thinking this is beyond my ability to resolve, so it's off to the shop - thoughts on driving it a half hour (30 mi) without 'ol #7 firing?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I have AAA that will tow me that far. If you have something like that, consider it.

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
I wouldn't drive it to a shop with it blowing smoke like that, have it towed or call in a favor with a friend and a large trailer

7 is the furthest back on the passenger side, I cuss a lot pulling the passenger side apart most times

1 - 20 of 20 Posts