Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 has upfitter switches and the factory brake controller. Has anyone put those in a 99-03 ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes it has been done before, but I say that loosely. The switch install seems to go off without a hitch for the most part. It works best if you get the lower center dash piece from a 05-07 truck so you don't have to mess with modifying the dash panel too much. It requires some trimming on the plastic support bars on the dash to get the panel in place, then the switches will just pop in. For the wiring some guys said they have the plug in the fuse panel under the steering column for the switch harness. If you don't have the connector on your fuse box, you could build your own then cut off the wiring pigtail from the harness and run them to it. Now I have seen guys try to install the towcommand, but have not heard/seen it actually work. From my research the brake controller is integrated with the +05 instrument cluster, would require a new master cylinder to get the correct readings and the PCM would have to be re-flashed. Again I have read about guys who have said they got it to work without making all those changes, but no actual proof.

Funny you bring this up I've been doing a lot of research on this because I'm planning on installing upfitter switches here shortly, just waiting for the parts to come in. I'll probably hold off on the towcommand for now and may try to tackle that later on. I will designing a built in brake controller with the truck is one thing Ford got right:thumb:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it has been done before, but I say that loosely. The switch install seems to go off without a hitch for the most part. It works best if you get the lower center dash piece from a 05-07 truck so you don't have to mess with modifying the dash panel too much. It requires some trimming on the plastic support bars on the dash to get the panel in place, then the switches will just pop in. For the wiring some guys said they have the plug in the fuse panel under the steering column for the switch harness. If you don't have the connector on your fuse box, you could build your own then cut off the wiring pigtail from the harness and run them to it. Now I have seen guys try to install the towcommand, but have not heard/seen it actually work. From my research the brake controller is integrated with the +05 instrument cluster, would require a new master cylinder to get the correct readings and the PCM would have to be re-flashed. Again I have read about guys who have said they got it to work without making all those changes, but no actual proof.

Funny you bring this up I've been doing a lot of research on this because I'm planning on installing upfitter switches here shortly, just waiting for the parts to come in. I'll probably hold off on the towcommand for now and may try to tackle that later on. I will designing a built in brake controller with the truck is one thing Ford got right:thumb:
I have the 05-07 center dash part with the little storage box.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]I have the 05-07 center dash part with the little storage box.[/QUOTE]

I have actually done this mod myself. The lower center panel went in relatively easy with some minor trimming and the upfitter switch relay box did as well, having mounted it inside and above the glovebox where the Ford paperwork said to put it, though I did have to drill just one hole for it...the other hole was already there. The wiring ran great the way it was explained and everything hooked up just fine, until I got to the back side of the fuse box. Now, the install papers showed where to plug it in, and that spot was right where they showed it to be, but was already in use. I decided to unplug and cut off the original from the back of fuse panel and tap those wires into the new upfitter plug. That all worked out just perfect, but nothing worked.

After some research, that frankly I should have done first mind you, it turned out that the new plug connections that were actually new and not tapped into, well they had no circuitry within the fuse box nor did they have fuses or even clips in their respective box locations. So, I left that plug in and cut the wires associated with the switches out so that the original wires from the original plug stayed there.

Long story short, I used the papers with the wire diagram and schematics to figure out which wires actually supplied the power to the switches and ran them to a distribution block that I have for my stereo system, took the wire that was powered only when the key was on and tapped that into the main harness that connects to the back of my stereo, as I also did with the wire that got run for dimmer control. Everything works great.

Fyi, mine is an 04 F-350 K/R S/D 6.0 FX4 and the lower center dash panel, trash bag hook, drop-open pocket and pull-out cup holders all came from an 05 King Ranch. All will have to be replaced when doing this one because all are shaped specifically to their respective year range. Hope all this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have actually done this mod myself. The lower center panel went in relatively easy with some minor trimming and the upfitter switch relay box did as well, having mounted it inside and above the glovebox where the Ford paperwork said to put it, though I did have to drill just one hole for it...the other hole was already there. Wiring pan great the way it was explained and everything hooked up just fine, until I got to the back side of the fuse box. Now, the install papers showed where to plug it in, and that spot was right where they showed it to be, but was already in use. I decided to remove the original plug, but the plug off and tap those wires into the new upfitter plug. Went off and plugged in great...but nothing worked.

After some research, that frankly I should have done first mind you, it turned out that the new plug connections that were actually new bed were not tapped into, well they had no circuitry within the fuse box nor did they have fuses or even clips in their respective box locations. So, I left that plug in and cut the wires associated with the switches out so that the original wires from the original plug stayed there.

Long story short, I used the papers with the wire diagram and schematics to figure out which wires actually supplied the power to the switches and ran them to a distribution block that I have for my stereo system, took the wire that was powered only when the key was on and tapped that into my lighter plug and took the dash illumination wire and tapped it to the backside of the dinner switch itself. Everything works great.

Fyi, mine is an 04 F-350 K/R S/D 6.0 FX4 and the lower center dash panel, trash bag hook, drop-open pocket and pull-out bus holders all came from an 05 King Ranch. All will have to be replaced when doing this one because all are shaped specifically to their respective year range. Hope all this helps!
I SAW YOUR PHOTO.....HOW DOES YOUR (CB) RADIO DO IN THE HOT SUN MOUNTED ON THE DASH?....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts