Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Powerstroke with about 140000K miles on it has started blowing black smoke out usually on acceleration. It has no power when it does this and then if you shift down or take your foot out of it for a second the black smoke stops and it goes. It is also making a slight whistle sound occasionally. I am pulling a 4 horse trailer with this thing and need to figure it out as soon as possible. Thank you for any advice or help.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Maybe the turbo vanes need cleaned. Any codes?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,774 Posts
stock exhaust? if so take your cat loose from the downpipe and try it again. if it clears up the problem your cat is plugged. if not then your turbo might need cleaned, vgt solenoid might need replaced, up pipes might be cracked. or turbo could be shot. check the cat first as its easiest to check other than looking for cracks in the up pipes. to do that start the truck put it in gear and power brake it with the hood open in the driveway for a few seconds if there is a leak it will smoke under the hood then you know where to check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now it is making a loud sort of humming noise too. I took it in and had it checked on a computer the other day and it is showing nothing. It is not running like it should though and I'm not sure where to go from here.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Now that I read your issue again, you may just have just got a bad tank of fuel. I had the same type of issues a few weeks ago, smoking, no power and HIGH EGT's. I ran that tank out, and never had any more issues

·
War is the answer!
5,398 Posts
Is the OP still having the issue?

Sent from my GSIII on the Blazer ROM LF8 Radio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad fuel is what we thought originally but this has been going on for some time now and I have refueled and run it a bunch. Changing filters again too.....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hows ur air-filter ?

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Bad fuel is what we thought originally but this has been going on for some time now and I have refueled and run it a bunch. Changing filters again too.....
Damn, I was hoping you had parked it since it was having issues, and that would be an easy fix :dunno:.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya wish that was it! I was on the traveling far from home when it started so thought bad fuel and got home. I guess I'm headed to the dealer today to see if they can diagnose at least. The mechanic I took it to locally couldn't find anything with his computer diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Pull the EGR valve and give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok just went to drive it to the dealer about an hour away to put on their computer (really don't want too since I have had a problem with them before) now its whining really loud and I'm noticing a whitish smoke. Power does seem fine. Oil change yesterday.

·
Registered
454 Posts
does the smoke smell like un burnt diesel or coolant? any coolant loss in the degas bottle?

Ok just went to drive it to the dealer about an hour away to put on their computer (really don't want too since I have had a problem with them before) now its whining really loud and I'm noticing a whitish smoke. Power does seem fine. Oil change yesterday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diesel/oil smell.......White smoke at start up....then is still does it's bogged down on power at acceleration in lower gears and blows out black smoke then it goes along fine aside from the high pitched whine. Drove it back home since there is a 4000 plus mountain pass between me and the one dealership with no cell service and don't want it to go belly up up there. If I can get this figured out and do the work here it would be best otherwise its looking like a tow into someone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same thing was happening to me...my egr valve was stuck wide open. If you haven't already pop it out and give it a good look and cleaning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts