Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer can't find problem. Bat light also comes on from time to time and engine shuts off like the key was turned off. Always starts right back up. No codes. Dealership thinks its an electrical connection. Has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ok, I’ll warm up the 6.0 crystal ball for ya on this one. Alternator and or batteries are dieing or dead, and the system voltage drops to low to keep the truck running. I know to start the PCM has to see a minimum voltage, but I don’t know if that a condition to stay running or not. Other Likely suspects are wiring harness chafing and FICM problems. A lot of 6.0’s had problems with wiring harness rubbing and shorts in them. For sur check the PCM and FICM connection. The FICM connections can be a real bear to get locked in. Some times pulling them loose and reseating them helps. The Exhaust back pressure sensors on these also have a history of shorting and shutting down the communications with PCM and truck dies as does the fan clutch, but this usually blows a fuse and send a TBC fault.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer can't find problem. Bat light also comes on from time to time and engine shuts off like the key was turned off. Always starts right back up. No codes. Dealership thinks its an electrical connection. Has anybody else had this problem?
mine is at the dealer now with similar problems. started with bat. light ,then rough running, then a no-start. dealer replaced the alt,swapped out the ficm,pcm, checked for wire chaffing,relays ,fuses,etc. truck run a couple hours and shut off . dealer diesel tech is perplexed and now thinks it's a short somewhere, maybe in one of the injectors. It's been at the dealer 9 days now....also , no codes

·
Registered
1 Posts
05 Excursion 6.0 shuts off

I've been experiencing a similar issue. Running cold or hot, at 35 or 65 mph. Engine shuts off for 1 to 3 seconds and comes back to life by itself. Two times accelerating hard from a stop at about 45 mph. One other time traveling at 65 on highway. Today it happened 4 times , this time all in a 3 mile stretch at approx. 35-45 mph depending one when it shut off. When it came back to life it only had about 50% power then full power. No white smoke as if EGR. Dealer is mystified. I put my scanner on it and no codes. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts