Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck in sig... 06 250 with 30,875 miles (give or take) Been running Xtreme Street as my daily driver, but I dont beat on this truck by any means. I've only done two 1/4 mile passes the entire time I've ever owned it. 90% of my driving is a 2 hour highway trip on the thruway at 70mph (2krpms). I noticed recently that when I get on it after I've been driving it for 1 hour + it starts making a faint high pitched whining noise... immediately I thought of the numerous problems threads I've read here :( I washed her up yesterday and decided to take a peek under the hood... sure enough dried up coolant all around the overflow cap... so where do I go from here? I put it back to stock tuning... holy cow it is slow haha. Also I dont tow anythign with this truck so it lives a pretty easy life compared to most.

On a side note... I've also recently noticed after some of these 1+ hour trips, when I shut the truck off, about 3-5 seconds later the turbo makes a whining noise as it's spooling down. Any thoughts on this? Should I take a weekend and pull the turbo to clean it? Should I just bring it to the dealer to have it looked at?

Any suggestions here guys? I really want to just block the EGR off completely, but I have a feeling that would hinder any further warranty work I may need done (I want ARPS, and I want ford to put them in! High hopes I know...). With only 30K on this truck I really dont want to hinder my warranty and void it for any other possibly large repairs it may need... any thoughts?

:tard::why-me::doh:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Like you said keep it stock, take it to a local dealer. Tell them its puking and "maybe" its the EGR cooler clogged up (common). While talking to them, feel them out if they'll check the heads to be safe. If they will, ask since the bolts are a common problem, if they wouldn't mind using a set of studs that you'll provide to prevent any future problems hence possibly saving them future warranty costs.

It worked for me.:D And if that dealer won't, try others if you have multiple. It took me two dealers to get it done.:thumb:

More than likely it is just the EGR cooler. IDP keeps the tunes backed off slightly for stock bolt trucks.:nod: You can even maybe ask about the block off if they seem like a cool shop. But a lot of them won't do that because of emissions.:dunno:

One more thing, where ya located? The members here might be able to steer you in a direction of a mod friendly dealer.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm located in Morrisville NY, but also frequent Amsterdam NY (that's where the 2 hour trip comes from) I bought the truck from Fucillos in Nelliston on rte 5 if anyone knows where that is. I know one of my diesel head buddies said that he knew the service manager at the shop I actually got my truck from so I'm going to call him after work and see what he says.

Any thoughts on the turbo squeaking on shut down?

BTW my truck is aspiring to be just like yours. I want sub 13sec quarters and still be totally safe to daily drive! Nice job!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I called my buddy, and he said he was going to talk to the service manager for me, and said even my tuner shouldn't be a problem, but I'm taking no risks, it's back to stock. He told me that they are only going to lower the coolant and replace the cap first, even though we all know it's going to be a reoccuring problem. He said after it happens again they will fix it. Hopefully he can convince the guy to just change it all out right now the first time. He also said that it is probably a stretch to get them to "check the heads" and to install the studs. He said that if the headgaskets are blown though, that they would more than likely put the ARP's in for me. He even used the word guarantee! Now I cant wait for the gaskets to blow! Well not really, but I want the ARP's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts