Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friends GFs explorer has a seized motor cause she drove it for like 100 miles with no oil. So the repair shop said she would need to replace the engine and it would cost $6k to do so insurance said it was a total loss because the repairs would exceed the price of the vehicle.

Soooo i jokingly said id do it for a grand in labor and they pay for parts.... well shes intrigued and may just take me up on the offer. Now ive never done an engine swap so i dont know how hard it would be. Im assuming its tedious but not THAT hard. Nothing like rebuilding it and having specialized tools and whatnot.

Now im pretty good with a wrench, i have rebuilt a chev 350 and ford 240 in my shop class, but never a swap, and with no instruction.

Is it worth a grand for me to do it? and are there any basic tutorials besides, disconnect and reconnect? because thats what im thinking it is, just unbolt a lot of stoff, remember where it goes, and bolt it back in... or am i in over my head?

If anyone has any insight id appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
You are correct that it is mostly tedious and time consuming work. If you have good mechanical skills (like some of your experiences seem to indicate), I would say go for it. Oh and you may want to check out Ford Explorer and Ranger Enthusiast Forums - Serious Explorations if you run into some questions. They have some VERY knowledgeable folks over there.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks evileye! maybe i will give it a shot. little intimidating!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
and youll be doing her a favor. and looks good to the gf.:thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts