Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so my father in law has an 06 d max with an edge tuner air intake and exhaust. he keeps talking crap on my truck and says lets line them up, well part of the problem with that is i dont hook very well so i have blown it off for now. I really want to do a boosted launch in 4x4 but am afraid that the t-case wont be able to hold going 100 mph any one have any thought on this. I know that if i can get my truck to hook i will blow the doors off his truck

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
okay so my father in law has an 06 d max with an edge tuner air intake and exhaust. he keeps talking crap on my truck and says lets line them up, well part of the problem with that is i dont hook very well so i have blown it off for now. I really want to do a boosted launch in 4x4 but am afraid that the t-case wont be able to hold going 100 mph any one have any thought on this. I know that if i can get my truck to hook i will blow the doors off his truck
1 Boosted 4X4 launch ever now and then won't hurt anything :thumb:

Once the truck gets over 55mph the t-case doesn't supply any additional power to the front axle anyway, so your good there. Before you race him do a few practice runs to get a feel for it. Its really not that hard, its all about balance and timing. Hold the brakes just enough so the truck doesn't move and boost up to about 15-20psi then smash the pedal to the floor just as you let off the brake and you will be thrown back into your seat like never before :thumb:

Practice makes perfect!

and make sure you turn that MiniMax all the way up :nod:

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did not know the T-case cut out at 55mph thanks for that. I have dont boosted launches in my old p99 7.3 but always in 2x4, but never had that much horse power to spin the tires that bad plus they were 35s. but will defintly do some practise runs befor i see him next

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so i have been practising my launches and getting pretty good, i get about 18psi then feather the brake out and damn that thing launches pretty hard. So i tell my father in law lets line them up and now i get the ol " o my truck is not running to well right now maybe later" BS but o well i will get him some day

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Thats too funny. I love it when I get that line. I had a guy I go to school with ask me to race his 04 Chevy 5.3 with all this zhit done to it. I said ok lets go after class and he immediately started making excuses. I never did get to race him but I know I would have taken him like nothing.

Thats a win in my book!

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Lmao...too funny.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Why do you say the transfer case cuts out at 55. It wont disengage until you let of the throttle.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Yes, what the heck are you talking about? Over 55 mph no addtional power or cut out? You can turn the switch back to two wheel drive and your truck, as already stated, will stay in four wheel drive until you back off on the throttle for a couple seconds. Anykind of forward torque on the hubs will keep them locked up.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I understand that the hubs will remain locked but after 55mph no additional power will be supplied to the front wheels. From 55+ all your acceleration is solely from the rear wheels. Yes the front wheels remain locked to the hubs but they are doing nothing more than spinning. The t-case simply doesn't have the gearing to help with acceleration beyond 55mph.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I he been told :dunno:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Once locked the only way for them to "spin" is if the front drive shaft is rotating slower then the front axle. I know it can be confusing. It's kind of like a ratchet. The transfer case gearing doesn't enter into it unless your trying to do this in four low :) . Four high is one to one output and after the initial launch when it's needed for traction it's just a parasitic power loss because of the resistance of extra parts being rotated.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
heres my launch in 4x4 high. just make sure your running in a straight line and no turning so it wont bind. as soon as you let off then click it back into 2 wheel and then you can turn. mine unlock as soon as i let off and didnt bind at all.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Exactly, but you can click it into two wheel drive anytime after you launch since the hubs will not unlock until you let up on the throttle.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
real nice video

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Exactly, but you can click it into two wheel drive anytime after you launch since the hubs will not unlock until you let up on the throttle.
It's best to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel though when under the throttle lol so I suggest after ya let off lol :thumb:

I'm determined to get it into the twelves. If it didn't spin off the line, and I put the stock tires and rims on it, take my tool box out, remove tailgate and spare and I think I could get there. I'm no pro drag racer so I'm sure with practice I could break into the 12's. A crew cab long bed on here went 12.9 with the same mods so I'm guessing it was because his hooked up. :dunno: we will see next time I run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright thanks to all for info. my father in law is still sticking with the story his truck is not running up to par so i guess i wont have to worry about it for now

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay so if anybody has been following this, I finnaly got to race my father in-law the other day. We lined up and said lets go one three honks and he honked i did a boosted 4x4 launch. He did a non boosted 2x4 launch if you want to call it that. needless to say i had a good 4 truck lengths on him and let off. then he say lets do it again! okay! so we lined up again and this time i told him to put in 4x4 and do a boosted launch. it was his first time doing one and it was not so hott but anyway this time i took him by about 2 1/2 lengths. when we got back to my house my wife already knew the outcome befor i said anything becasue of the smile on my face :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
okay so if anybody has been following this, I finnaly got to race my father in-law the other day. We lined up and said lets go one three honks and he honked i did a boosted 4x4 launch. He did a non boosted 2x4 launch if you want to call it that. needless to say i had a good 4 truck lengths on him and let off. then he say lets do it again! okay! so we lined up again and this time i told him to put in 4x4 and do a boosted launch. it was his first time doing one and it was not so hott but anyway this time i took him by about 2 1/2 lengths. when we got back to my house my wife already knew the outcome befor i said anything becasue of the smile on my face :)
I LOVE IT :clap::clap:

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Didn't even doubt it but I get he is on the Duramax forum saying the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Do you have the HD 300 tune loaded? You should've got him by more than that, IMO. Duramaxes can't hold much power on a stock trans (especially with it being an Edge). And I'm surprised he didn't bust a tie rod doing a boost launch in that thing. :doh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have the HD 300 tune loaded? You should've got him by more than that, IMO. Duramaxes can't hold much power on a stock trans (especially with it being an Edge). And I'm surprised he didn't bust a tie rod doing a boost launch in that thing. :doh:

No i had it on the mild setting with the wild i think it is. I was not planing on racing him that day or i would have put it on the HD 300. I just did not want to wait for it to redownload and him chicken out while i did that so i know that it was not my best performance either so that could have had something to do with it. He did not break a tie rod but the front of his truck was shaking like a dog shi*Ten peach seeds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts