Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
A compression test on a diesel is no easy thing.

You can bring it to a shop, and for around $150 they’ll hook it to a scanner and do a relative compression test. That will probably confirm that #6 is bad, but will look at all others also. You can also get autoenginuity with the ford pack for $400 and that will also do a test, but its not as a good as the Ford’s IDS.

My thinking on fuel injectors is if you’re in there, replace all of them with Ford OEM, at least on the bank you’re opening up. To me there’s so much work that goes in it, and it’s worth the extra cash to know that bank is good. Also, although you can clean the stiction off the spool valves, I doubt that is the only thing wring with the injectors.

You could swap #6 to see if the problem follows, but that’s a lot of work and has some risk with it.

IMO, In the meantime, you really need to limit/not drive this thing. If that injector hangs open, you can ruin the cylinder.

For the glow plug harness, they get brittle as they age, and it could be as simple as that.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Was I correct in assuming that the glow plug is coincidental to the injector issue (both being on 6)?
In my signature block there’s some good reading, the “6.0 bible.” Towards the back there’s a block diagram. You can look it see if the Glow plugs, GPCM, and glow plugs go to the same cable or plug on the ECM (or is it called PCM?).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.