Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been combing the boards off and on for a year and throwing parts trying to sort this out. If it's been covered, I apologize. At first, it seems to have been covered a thousand times, but my issue is slightly different from all the others, so here it goes ...

06' 6.0 idles pretty good for 200+ on the clock. Studded, deleted, blue spring upgrade, turbo maintained, motor craft filters all around, rotella t6, ficm at 48 with the very occasional drop to 47.
Currently throwing a misfire on 6 code. I can monitor it and it only misfires at a stop, at idle. But, it does it like clock work. I've got a bit if stiction starting because I haven't been driving it enough, but it has been misfiring since before the noticable stiction.
I replaced the injector with the intent in replacing the rest if that "fixed" the issue. I also replaced the injector harness while I was in there.
I'm also throwing a code for #6glowplug, but I haven't addressed that. Is it possible that these two coincide? Seems dumb, but I always thought that the glowplug had no bearing in the injector if the truck was already warm.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I've been combing the boards off and on for a year and throwing parts trying to sort this out. If it's been covered, I apologize. At first, it seems to have been covered a thousand times, but my issue is slightly different from all the others, so here it goes ...

06' 6.0 idles pretty good for 200+ on the clock. Studded, deleted, blue spring upgrade, turbo maintained, motor craft filters all around, rotella t6, ficm at 48 with the very occasional drop to 47.
Currently throwing a misfire on 6 code. I can monitor it and it only misfires at a stop, at idle. But, it does it like clock work. I've got a bit if stiction starting because I haven't been driving it enough, but it has been misfiring since before the noticable stiction.
I replaced the injector with the intent in replacing the rest if that "fixed" the issue. I also replaced the injector harness while I was in there.
I'm also throwing a code for #6glowplug, but I haven't addressed that. Is it possible that these two coincide? Seems dumb, but I always thought that the glowplug had no bearing in the injector if the truck was already warm.

Thanks in advance.
Time to compression test #6..... But, I'd take a very close look at the harness. Those pins easily come loose and don't fully connect to the injector plug.
Another note.... Just because you replaced the #6 injector, doesn't mean the new one is good.... Many people have chased gremlins because they don't consider that the new part is also junk.
Still, glow plug and injector on #6 leads to bigger issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, compression on #6.... I'll have to hit up a friend on that one, as I can handle small block gasser compression all day, but diesel compression is a little out of this auto-painters qualifications. I will definitely keep the board updated though.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
A compression test on a diesel is no easy thing.

You can bring it to a shop, and for around $150 they’ll hook it to a scanner and do a relative compression test. That will probably confirm that #6 is bad, but will look at all others also. You can also get autoenginuity with the ford pack for $400 and that will also do a test, but its not as a good as the Ford’s IDS.

My thinking on fuel injectors is if you’re in there, replace all of them with Ford OEM, at least on the bank you’re opening up. To me there’s so much work that goes in it, and it’s worth the extra cash to know that bank is good. Also, although you can clean the stiction off the spool valves, I doubt that is the only thing wring with the injectors.

You could swap #6 to see if the problem follows, but that’s a lot of work and has some risk with it.

IMO, In the meantime, you really need to limit/not drive this thing. If that injector hangs open, you can ruin the cylinder.

For the glow plug harness, they get brittle as they age, and it could be as simple as that.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Was I correct in assuming that the glow plug is coincidental to the injector issue (both being on 6)?
Sorry about the previous post, cylinder compression shouldn't have anything to do with the code.

A misfire is the injector, ficm, harness or fuel.

To simplify the glow plugs, all they do is preheat the cylinder so the fuel ignites easier when the cylinder walls are cold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about the previous post, cylinder compression shouldn't have anything to do with the code.

A misfire is the injector, ficm, harness or fuel.

To simplify the glow plugs, all they do is preheat the cylinder so the fuel ignites easier when the cylinder walls are cold.

No problem at all. I'm just thrown off a bit by the fact that both codes are for number six, but are relatively unrelated. Is it possible that, the potentially low compression of number 6, is causing the injector to fire funky and either drowning out, or drying out that glowplug? Or something similar to that effect?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks in advance.

*SIDE NOTE; I should have mentioned that all of this seems to have started last spring when I was taking the family out to the woods to see where the snowline was (we live in the Rockies and camp as soon as the snow melts). We came up on a 3rd gen Cummins that was buried to the axles and had two poor kids sitting in it after a night stuck in the woods. So, I hooked up and yanked him out. I had to get pretty violent with it to get him off of his axles and since then, I've been having little, minor issues like my turbo getting filthy and sticking. Truck ran beautifully before I tried to be a good Samaritan...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Was I correct in assuming that the glow plug is coincidental to the injector issue (both being on 6)?
In my signature block there’s some good reading, the “6.0 bible.” Towards the back there’s a block diagram. You can look it see if the Glow plugs, GPCM, and glow plugs go to the same cable or plug on the ECM (or is it called PCM?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my signature block there’s some good reading, the “6.0 bible.” Towards the back there’s a block diagram. You can look it see if the Glow plugs, GPCM, and glow plugs go to the same cable or plug on the ECM (or is it called PCM?).
I'll have to dig around in there a bit. I just wanted to "check in" really wuick and let you guys know that I have no intent on leaving this thread un-resolved. I had some life happen and I'm having to back-burner the truck for a minute, but I fully intend to get back to it. Thanks again for everybody's help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts