Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a right side front wheel bearing going on my 05 F-350. I was wondering were the best place is to buy the unit bearing and how much of a job it is to switch it out.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
Get it from Ford

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I too, would like to know.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I replaced mine last fall and It was about 1/2 price from Ford compared to my regular parts supply store. Ford had a new parts no. and I was under $400 out the door.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I got some very good made in USA Timken bearings from 4x4offroad.com, for the rear of my F350. They have the front bearings as well. It was $325 for the kit, which included bearings, all seals, socket for the ratcheting nut, and two bearing race drivers.

Of course, then I got the rear end apart, and found that the rumbling sound I was hearing wasn't the bearings, it was corrosion on the emergency brake drum (which I hadn't used in ages), amplified by the dust plate next to the disk.

Oh well, I needed to change out the diff oil anyway. I'd send the bearing kit back, but you know that as soon as I do that, the rear bearings will fail within a week. So the kit gets packed away until I need it.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
I got some very good made in USA Timken bearings from 4x4offroad.com, for the rear of my F350. They have the front bearings as well. It was $325 for the kit, which included bearings, all seals, socket for the ratcheting nut, and two bearing race drivers.

Of course, then I got the rear end apart, and found that the rumbling sound I was hearing wasn't the bearings, it was corrosion on the emergency brake drum (which I hadn't used in ages), amplified by the dust plate next to the disk.

Oh well, I needed to change out the diff oil anyway. I'd send the bearing kit back, but you know that as soon as I do that, the rear bearings will fail within a week. So the kit gets packed away until I need it.
Got a link to the site you got the bearings from?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I jacked up the truck today to see if there was any movement in the tire which there was not. So i moved to the back of the wheel and listned a heard a very slight grinding type noise. I then grabbed onto the front axle drive shaft that goes into that wheel and there is a good amount of movement in the driveshaft probably around 1/2 i would like to say. does this also contribute to a bad wheel bearing?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hmm... driveshaft movement might indicate that you just have a bad u joint.

If you have locking hubs, unlock them and spin the tire. That will take the rest of the front drivetrain out of the picture, and the only thing that will be turning is the wheel bearings. If you don't hear any scraping noise, then your front wheel bearings are probably good.

The one thing I will suggest - find out exactly what the problem is before ordering parts. This stuff isn't cheap, and that noise I heard sounded exactly like a wheel bearing, but wasn't.

Oh, and I was wrong on where I got my bearings - it's quad4x4.com. Lots of good stuff, and it all appears to be high quality, not the cheap chinese bearings that last a few months. They had a lot of front axle stuff for 05 and newer PS's. Also have an oil seal installation tool that looks real handy to have. The bearing race installation tools they sent me were very well built.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have manual locking hubs and i they have been unlocked for a while now, i am gonna lock them in and see what kind of noises i get, to lead me to either a hub or a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
before the real winding of the bearing I was getting all kinds of noiseand vibration, I would checked everything on that side and just kept on going. But one day it started winning and never stoped. I changed the bearing and all noises desapeared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts