Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure I'll probably get it through tousley, but curious if anyone has the part number handy! There is a new kit on ebay for 44 bucks-is that cheaper than the dealer? Thanks guys! I have 283k on my factory stc, doing a cab off refresh (studs/gaskets/oil cooler,/injectors) figure it's a good time to do it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just had mine done on my 05 with a list of other things and I paid $46.60 from my Ford dealership part number 4c3z*9b246*f

Hope this helps
Dave

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's crazy daz 280k on it, do you still have the egr in it too? Ford gold?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just regular old ELC coolant, the oil cooler JUST started to clog-as for the EGR, I deleted it at 230k when I did the 2003 turbo-just because it was easy to do when I had it apart. 0 cooler failures in all this time.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Figure I'll probably get it through tousley, but curious if anyone has the part number handy! There is a new kit on ebay for 44 bucks-is that cheaper than the dealer? Thanks guys! I have 283k on my factory stc, doing a cab off refresh (studs/gaskets/oil cooler,/injectors) figure it's a good time to do it.
Is that 283K MILES?!!!! If so, this should be a testament that the 6.0L engine CAN be reliable, if it's well taken care of. And yes, the part number for the STC fitting update kit is 4C3Z-9B246-F.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure is. 284,213 as of this morning-just got back from a fairly long trip. #2 injector has went from sticking only until warmed up to constantly, but that is to be expected. I was hoping to get to 300k before doing the headgaskets, but now that she needs 2 injectors, and an oil cooler, I can't see the logic in waiting any longer. Dropping my heads off at the machine shop tomorrow (I have a spare set to minimize downtime).

As far as reliabiltiy, my truck has been a SHINING example of what a properly maintained truck can endure. It sees WOT off the line more than almost any other vehicle, and gets driven hard and often. I do change the fluids religiously, including the coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Sure is. 284,213 as of this morning-just got back from a fairly long trip. #2 injector has went from sticking only until warmed up to constantly, but that is to be expected. I was hoping to get to 300k before doing the headgaskets, but now that she needs 2 injectors, and an oil cooler, I can't see the logic in waiting any longer. Dropping my heads off at the machine shop tomorrow (I have a spare set to minimize downtime).

As far as reliabiltiy, my truck has been a SHINING example of what a properly maintained truck can endure. It sees WOT off the line more than almost any other vehicle, and gets driven hard and often. I do change the fluids religiously, including the coolant.
Okay, so you mean to tell me your truck has 457,397 KILOMETERS on the clock? Is the engine original? Are the heads original? Has this engine ever "been into" at any point in its life? Are you the original owner? Sorry for so many questions. You just have me curious.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes to all of those questions. I am the original owner. It does have 284,213 MILES on it, Yes the engine and heads are original. The headgaskets oil cooler, and until 230k, even the EGR cooler was original. All the injectors are also original. It has never had ANYTHING other than regular fluid changes until now. I added an edge juice with attitude at 112,000 miles. I ran it that way until 213,000 miles at which time I went with an sct tuner.

It also has the OEM TTY headbolts still. It has started to lose coolant recently, but that is likely due to the extreme race tune I daily drive it with. The ONLY work that has been done to the engine is the 03 turbo, and EGR delete at 230,000 miles.s

·
Registered
357 Posts
Definitely a testament to the engine! I'm excited to hear it's from an 05 too, definitely gives me mor faith in the ol girl. Besides the failed stc fitting, and injectors 6 and 4 from the previous owner, my truck is doing great with stock coolant and an egr valve.

Daz, you said "regular old elc" are you saying you made a swap? Ford gold isn't elc as far as I've been informed, just curious!

Sorry to derail the thread :p

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used prestone ELC coolant since the first time I changed it. It gets drained and refilled once a year right before the onset of winter.

·
Registered
968 Posts
4C3Z-9B246-F STC FITTING KIT 58.25 FROM LOCAL DEALER

3C3Z-9T514-AG TURBO HARDWARE KIT 11.27 FROM LOCAL DEALER

What the history on the transmission? I have heard of some 5r110w transmissions going that long too.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Transmission is stock. I have NOTHING but good things to say about it. The only issue I EVER had was when I had a defective juice module, when it overheated it shut down, and the trans shifted erratically. Not the truck's fault though, and it to this day has no reluctance doing anything I ask of it. The only issue I see developing is with my dfuser extreme race tune. The 3 to 4 shift has to be either under WOT, or light throttle. Transitioning between them is a no go. If you go from wot, and let off before it shifts, it will bang 4th to the point of chirping the 40" tires. Not good, but definately in the tuning. My Innovative tune doesn't do this, and is preferred for this reason.

It should be noted that although I'm more abusive than most, if my truck develops so much as a shimmy, leak, or noise, I don't sleep until it's fixed. I have 284k miles, and JUST under 5600 hours. I have an 06 with 101k that has 4800 hours on it, and it has been MUCH more problematic to say the least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts