Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the oil cooler. Truck ran and drove fine yesterday except the oil pressure gauge wasn't working. This morning I found (3) things unplugged and connected them. Went for a drive heard a screeching noise on acceleration. Little to no boost was being reported on the gauge. I re-connected the turbo pipe in the front and no change. After driving sometime, the screeching subsided but no boost now. Looking for suggestions. At least the oil temp is low again.. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine did that too, how recently have you done an oil change? Like the turbo is where the screech comes from, on my truck I could hear it coming out the exhaust since its straight piped. Invest in possibly a turbo rebuild kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New oil and filter as a result of the oil cooler swap.

I pulled the CAC tube and inspected the rubber boots. I didn't find any rips or tears. I'll inspect the turbo next.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll give the vacuum trick a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick question - If I understand correctly, those bolts would be under the intake manifold? Did you have to pull the intake to re-torque those bolts?

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
You can rig up an air tester for your air compressor also
use a 4 inch FernCo coupler and a pvc pipe cap - drill the cap for an air coupler and use regulated air from your compressor
this can be used at the turbo inlet and the exhaust pipe - keep the pressure less than 10 pounds, unless you have good plumbing skillz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick question - If I understand correctly, those bolts would be under the intake manifold? Did you have to pull the intake to re-torque those bolts?
They were on the top side of the manifold i only had to take off the alternator and tubing. It was the 2 bolts that attach the egr up to the intake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bolts on the EGR were super tight. I think I'm going to loosen up the turbo clamps on the up tubes and the turbo bolts and see if maybe there is a gap there that I wasn't aware of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My bolts on the EGR were super tight. I think I'm going to loosen up the turbo clamps on the up tubes and the turbo bolts and see if maybe there is a gap there that I wasn't aware of.
try the shopvac blowing on the tail pipe you will probably find the leak instantly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it turns out the shopvac trick worked for me. I found air blowing from (2) holes on the intake next to the EGR valve that I forgot to put a bolt and stud in. I did that, checked the torque on the others, and went for a test drive. I had boost which was awesome. I decided to get on it up a hill and heard that classic 'pop' that scares the sh*t out of you. I checked the CAC tube and it was fine. Turns out it was the tube that connects near the radiator on the driver's side. I connected that again and back in business. Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts