Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help....... brief history. at 68 k EGR cooler went out, then 1000 miles later motor went out. Ford replaced all but driverside head. now at 143K the connecting rods are hanging out the passenger side of the block. What would cause this failure. Ford won't do anything till torn down. They say no warranty cause they only shortblocked last time. any ides. I thought the most common failure in these was top half not bottom. Thanks in advance

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Well, I am going to move this to the 6.0 forum for you :thumb:

What happened the first time you said it went out?
They replaced everything?
Why replace everything but 1 of the heads? I don't get that.
Did you have it chipped?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No its never been chipped. I don't know the exact failure, they (ford dealer never told me) But they said that all was replaced except the drivers head. When I head into town today I'll grab the paperwork out of truck to see if it says. When it went out it was knocking and blowing major black smoke, used 1/2 tank of fuel in 30 miles getting to dealer.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
And this time the rod(s) windowed the block? How many?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far I can see one, but I'm a little portly and can't fully get under it to tell. Waiting for tear down to know for sure.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Somebody is trying to get out of their responsibility. A short block is the block and all lower end components both parts and correct installation of those parts.

They are liable for everything that came with the short block but are not responisble for heads and correct instalation of external components to complete the engine assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the paper work last time says "#8 has miss, did relitive comp test #8 11%. Did manual comp test 0 psi Removed left cyl head found damage to head and piston and cyl wall on #8. Replaced short block and left head"
So according to paper work whole new block assembly was put in and passside head assembly, waterpump, oil pan etc.
One would think this motor would last more than 74K miles.
I hope my ace in the hole is all maintance done at dealer as scheduled........I hope.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
You don't drive it with rods knocking. That's why you vented the block. As to why the rod was knocking who knows. Good luck with the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i know you don't drive it with knocking rods. It wasn't knocking, I was going down road, heard a noise like (helacoil) headed to repair shop (10 blocks) about 5 from WHAM, rods hanging out of passenger side bottom. No noise before, sounded like vaccum leak, no metal sounds. Only going 25mph.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Sounds to me like poor workman ship on the Ford dealers part. Good luck on getting them to pay at least some of the bill.
Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea thats my concern. I have looked at a lot of different reports/sites discussing the 6.0 failure. And I'd say 95% are upper failures, and the ones with lower started up top. So this seems very suspect. I have and Ford has ALL records of LOF. FF. and ANY work done since motor put in, even rotation of tires. So there can't be question of maintence. And I hope Ford agrees this motor should last longer that 74K miles.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
That depends on how long a warranty they gave you on the short block. It would not be the same as the origional motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well here we are now working on 6 weeks. The cab has been off for 3, Ford is dragging feet, keep saying no, I finally got with a ford Engineer. He agrees that this is not normal, there is the thought of Hydrolocked cyl. I have 3 injectors still under warranty so hopefully, this is right and its one of the new injectors. But I can tell you, Ford really has no concern for me the consumer. They say I'm not Loyal since I bought my truck used. How do they expect anyone to develop loyality if they don't respect the consumer that starts with used and moves up? I'll keep you all posted after tomorrow..... I hope

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
(They say I'm not Loyal since I bought my truck used.) When a New Truck cost upwards of 50 to 60,000, they are a lot of people who can't and will not pay that much for a new one. Good luck, and just hang in there and stay on there butt about it.
Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for no updates. As of Friday Ford called my dealer and said "No, case closed." Here's what has taken place. Ford said they would not diagnois the problem, I paid to pull the heads and oil pan. When we pulled the pan off, the parts we found were all parts of the connecting rod that broke. You could basicly put it back together. The bearings and a piece of the Cylindar wall, and couple pieces of shield below the crank. The heads when taken off none of the pistons showed any major problems or burn. The piston with the broken connecting rod had some 'valve slap' on it probably from when it broke. The oil was clean no foam or other contaminets. So the Ford mechanic thought the connecting rod breaking was defective rod, material failure. All this was presented to Ford and nothing, they don't care.
Now recently Ford has offered 'super duty assistance' to owners with problems, to either fix there exisiting truck or assist them in getting a new one. Well Ford informs me "no assistance, not Loyal enough customer". So I asked how do you become a loyal customer. 1. Have to bought truck new 2. Have to bought from local dealer 3. Must buy extended warranty. So here's my situation, 1. Couldn't afford new to start bought used with 45k on it 2. My local dealer doesn't sell TT or F-450's 3.I tried to buy extended warranty, but my dealer told me they were not available from Ford for TT. So I took dealers word. However during my discussions with Ford they tell me they are available for $2908.00( I found them on Fords website). So with these 3 factors, based on what my dealer told me, the only one I could have done was bought 1 new.
So if at 45k when I went to my dealer they would have informed me correctley, I would not be here. I would have spent $3000.00 on the extended warranty, not the $4675.00 I've spent on injectors and FICM so far and the looming $9-16k est for engine and labor (reman not ford, ford reman). And the feeling that to Ford (corp) values me as a customer (not)
Please offer your advice, I'm at a loss. As a one man show, this could do me in.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
PM sent. This dealer is just wrong.

Doug

·
Registered
237 Posts
What did you end up doing?

Dealer is telling me I blew a connecting rod in my 05 6.0 with 210 km on it. Diesel tech says that cylinder 8 overfueled and hydrolocked and then bent a connecting rod. They are telling me they have to lift the cab, pull the motor, and replace with a used one. I am 19 years old, do not have any money, and do not have any warranty left. Bought the truck used, completely at a loss as for what to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts