Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,416 Posts
Usually, but it is possible to leak that much I suppose.

If any oil drains out when you have that valve pushed down, you need to replace that valve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m gonna pull the ipr tomorrow but if it were bad it would be getting more than 7psi right?
Usually, but it is possible to leak that much I suppose.

If any oil drains out when you have that valve pushed down, you need to replace that valve.
I’ll try it out in the morning. I can hear the hpop pretty good. Let’s say if the pick up tube did fall off, could it have got a lot of air back in the system and the hpop lost its prime from all the cranking I’ve done with no pressure from the low pressure pump or possibly burnt the hpop up from being starved

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Is your oil "thinned out" ? With a new oil pump there should be no problem getting pressure -- Do you still need the truck on the hook to get oil pressure?

I think do an air test thru the ICP port for now -- get both fittings ICP, IPR -- you can find them for less than 50

Check the oil filter stand pipe center button for damage, pretty common when using other that Ford filters -- this wont affect pressure, only filtration

That hpop is a V4 piston pump, I doubt you have damage from starving for oil -- however they do not like air in the pump chambers -- have to be some positive pressure on the suction side to force the air thru

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Is your oil "thinned out" ? With a new oil pump there should be no problem getting pressure -- Do you still need the truck on the hook to get oil pressure?

I think do an air test thru the ICP port for now -- get both fittings ICP, IPR -- you can find them for less than 50

Check the oil filter stand pipe center button for damage, pretty common when using other that Ford filters -- this wont affect pressure, only filtration

That hpop is a V4 piston pump, I doubt you have damage from starving for oil -- however they do not like air in the pump chambers -- have to be some positive pressure on the suction side to force the air thru
Well my ipr screen is good but when I hit it with power probe it isn’t doing anything

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
No sparks on the terminals? Have you tried using an ohm meter?
Note: you have to point the valve stem upwards (sit the valve on the end) to hear the magnetic core move (click) - if it dirty, you may not hear anything

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No sparks on the terminals? Have you tried using an ohm meter?
Note: you have to point the valve stem upwards (sit the valve on the end) to hear the magnetic core move (click) - if it dirty, you may not hear anything
It did spark but when I tried to switch the wires and probe it I guess I burnt it up cause the probe beeps as soon as it touches any one of the terminals but getting a new ipr today

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’m really starting to think that the pickup tube did fall off and with all the cranking I’ve done it’s got air in the system. Gonna put the new ipr valve in it and lift the back up again and turn it over for awhile to see if it starts building pressure again cause I’d sure rather replace that pickup tube then tear into the motor lol

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Remove the oil filter cap and crank before you lift the truck -- if there is no oil coming from the pump, you may have a point with the pickup tube

How long did you have power on the IPR? -- should be able to take a couple minutes at 12 volts easily
Just a coil of wire, so it does not matter which way the wires are connected to the coil with the harness disconnected

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Remove the oil filter cap and crank before you lift the truck -- if there is no oil coming from the pump, you may have a point with the pickup tube

How long did you have power on the IPR? -- should be able to take a couple minutes at 12 volts easily
Just a coil of wire, so it does not matter which way the wires are connected to the coil with the harness disconnected
I’ve already done it without lifting it a few days ago and it did not fill lifted it and it filled. Really hoping that caused me to get air in the system cause it’s only got 7 psi.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

I only done it a second at a time but as soon as I flipped the terminals the probe would just beep every time I touched on each terminal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well it was the ipr valve replaced it and it fired right up when the pressure built. Don’t understand why it didn’t get any oil to the filter the other day and now it does guess it’s time to trade it in this week lol

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,416 Posts
Hmm. The IPR shouldn't have anything to do with the LPOP failing to feed the oil filter - front lifted up, back lifted up, or level.

So, a failed IPR and you are ready to sell it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah I know it didn’t have anything to do with it somehow the truck just lost it’s prime. I just want to trade it in before I have to put any more money in it. I really love the truck but I really want a Cummins and I’m finally stable enough in life to take on a payment

21 - 33 of 33 Posts