Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would that low of pressure suggest a bad hpop,bad ipr, or a serious leak. Truck hasn’t started in a week had no base oil when took oil filter cap off. Lifted back end of truck with wrecker and it got its base oil pressure so now I know the pick up tube fell off. Is it possible I burnt up the high pressure oil pump from cranking so much. I also pulled the icp and the oil slowly oozed out while cranking.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Would that low of pressure suggest a bad hpop,bad ipr, or a serious leak. Truck hasn’t started in a week had no base oil when took oil filter cap off. Lifted back end of truck with wrecker and it got its base oil pressure so now I know the pick up tube fell off. Is it possible I burnt up the high pressure oil pump from cranking so much. I also pulled the icp and the oil slowly oozed out while cranking.
It depends on if your base oil pressure is good. Have you verified your base oil pressure yet?
How quickly does the oil filter housing fill with oil with the cap removed using the remote start method?

www.powerstroke.org/threads/gauge-reads-no-oil-pressure-at-idle.1389281/&share_tid=1389281&share_fid=90776&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
So to make sure I'm clear...

Truck would not start and had no/very little base oil pressure.

You lifted the rear of the truck and you now have base oil pressure the truck still will not start?

What method are you using the verify base oil pressure?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to make sure I'm clear...

Truck would not start and had no/very little base oil pressure.

You lifted the rear of the truck and you now have base oil pressure the truck still will not start?

What method are you using the verify base oil pressure?

Well it all started when it was 18 degrees here I went to start it and it would fire then die. Then it stopped firing at all.then the batteries died so I just went and warrantied them and out new ones in. I unplugged the icp and tried to start it. Didn’t fire so I plugged it back in and didn’t know that the cage around the pins of the plug was broke and when I plugged it in the pins touched and gave me codes for all the sensors on the 5v circuit. Finally figured that issue out. And of course it still didn’t start after fixing it. So I hooked up snap on scanner and seen I only had 7 psi at the icp. So I decided to take off the oil cap to see if I was getting oil to the filter and I wasn’t. So I picked the back up with my repo truck and turned the truck over and the housing filled up quickly. But still no start. That’s when I pulled the icp and cranked on it and the oil slowly oozed out. I put a new lpop and front cover on in august when I installed new oil cooler

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,416 Posts
Make sure the oil filter housing drain valve isn't broken or leaking through.

Check the LPOP regulator for metal.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Well it all started when it was 18 degrees here I went to start it and it would fire then die. Then it stopped firing at all.then the batteries died so I just went and warrantied them and out new ones in. I unplugged the icp and tried to start it. Didn’t fire so I plugged it back in and didn’t know that the cage around the pins of the plug was broke and when I plugged it in the pins touched and gave me codes for all the sensors on the 5v circuit. Finally figured that issue out. And of course it still didn’t start after fixing it. So I hooked up snap on scanner and seen I only had 7 psi at the icp. So I decided to take off the oil cap to see if I was getting oil to the filter and I wasn’t. So I picked the back up with my repo truck and turned the truck over and the housing filled up quickly. But still no start. That’s when I pulled the icp and cranked on it and the oil slowly oozed out. I put a new lpop and front cover on in august when I installed new oil cooler
What was the reason for replacing the LPOP and front cover? Was there damage or other problems?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Regulator had no trash or metal
I notice you say your scanner is reading 7psi ICP how about ICP voltage. What is that?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
It’s reading 0.26
That seems to me about right for very minor pressure. What I'm not sure of is why the HPO would be that low if the LPO was operating as it should to feed the HPO system. The LPO should be ~20+ warm and maybe ~60-70 cold. I know it's two separate oil systems but the LPOP feeds the HPOP so would you expect to see roughly the same LPO PSI in the HPO system even if the HPOP wasn't doing anything? Unless of course there was a massive leak.
@bismic
@Hydro
@ZMANN
@jokester00

You guys tell me the many ways I'm wrong.

·
9,416 Posts
I'd still like to know if the oil filter housing drain valve is ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd still like to know if the oil filter housing drain valve is ok.
Now that I’m thinking about it. It may actually be bad cause it did drain back down on its own without me pushing it down. Crazy cause I replaced it 2 oil changes ago with a oem one

·
9,416 Posts
When you push it down, you close it. With it closed it should not let ANY oil drain out of the filter housing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m gonna pull the ipr tomorrow but if it were bad it would be getting more than 7psi right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts