Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill try to cut to the chase here the best I can with out leaving any info out. Back in November I bout this truck from a shady dealer(this isn't the point of the post) knowing I was driving it home putting it straight into my garage and doing all the deletes, upgrades, arps and head gaskets and I did just that. I ordered all the parts for the truck before I even got it home because I was waiting for the bank to cut the check to go pick it up. On the way home everything was working fine seemed sluggish but the ficm was going out so i replaced that while I had the motor torn apart. so I got it all back together and thing runs absolute tits. got my sct all hooked monitoring gauges and temps and all the good 6.0 stuff. the only thing I noticed was that the temp gauge didn't work, not a big deal ill replace the sensor next weekend, it prolly just took a dump. I got busy let it go. the other day I was towing my 38ft gooseneck with 2 cars on it and noticed that the oil temp started creeping in the middle 240's, I immediately backed out of it when I noticed and shut the tow all off to drop the rpms. so I get the oil temp back to the 210-215 mark after slowing down and catching a couple lights. I get back in it and same thing happens oil temps spike and I'm going wtf fans not kicking on or anything. I get home unhook from the trailer and cruise around the block get the temps down and shut it off. I got my temp gun out and hit the intake by the temp sensor got 181, oil temps now on the sct showing 188.92. everything is now in check. the temp on my sct is reading 122.00 not right gauge moved up a little but not even close to being accurate. so I plugged the old sensor in for ****s and gigs to see and its still reading 122.00. then I unplugged it completely and my temps went to 185.00 and I heard the fan kick up just a little bit. So I plugged it back into the new sensor and its still at 185, by the time I get to the main road(maybe 2 blocks) its reading 100.00 now. oil temp was at 169.99. I shut it down grab a smoke and started think what could be causing this......so what I have come up with is that the sensor itself is not telling the pcm the right temps and I smell raw fuel a lot(the injectors aren't bad, they have been tested during the bullet proof job) . the couple times I got the pcm to read it the middle high 180's the raw fuel smell went away and got better fuel millage, witch is telling me the pcm is stuck in the cold warm up mode and its dumping extra fuel in the motor. I've even tried different tunes in the tuner and completely returning it back to stock and just using the tuner for gauges with no change.

things ive done so far, replaced the old temp sensor with a new one from FORD, tried plugging the old one back in, unplugging it completely. everything cause no change or brings the temps up witch is how I know the fan clutch is good. I get little to no reading on the dash and the sct gauges are stuck around 100-122 almost all the time.

I'm beating my head against the wall on this one guys any help to getting this fixed with be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,956 Posts
first off, please try and break up your post a bit paragraph wise makes it much easier to read

what SCT device are you using to read temps? I know on my older SF3 there are multiple options for coolant/oil temp so that can make a difference

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sct x4, I never had the tuner hooked up before bullet proofing it so I don't know for sure if it fully read before the work. Sorry about the paragraph I typed this on my phone on break.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
If I understand you right... both the cluster and the SCT are providing low temp readings for both the old and new OEM sensors. The post is a bit rough.

Also, I see no mention of codes. Post them if you've got them.

The SCT and the cluster both get their information digitally through different paths. It seems that you've done a good job of swapping things around in an attempt to isolate the problem. I do not know the SCT. ...but I do know that people have goofed up their settings. That would not explain the cluster but - as @junior125 said - that would be good to check.

After that... To be sure that it is not a sensor issue, I would verify that the temp sensors are operating correctly and that the SIGRTN line - which they both share - is functioning properly. I'll attach the ECT/EOT data sheets.

...and - if not that - I'd be looking for a PCM to swap in.

I said check for problems with the wiring of the temp sensors. This is in part - because of all of your work - you yanked on the harness a bit. As such, you get my customary chafing thread link: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

Also, go here for a wiring diagram of your truck: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1118001-hi-res-single-page-6-0l-wiring-diagram-pdfs.html

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand you right... both the cluster and the SCT are providing low temp readings for both the old and new OEM sensors. The post is a bit rough.

The SCT and the cluster both get their information digitally through different paths. It seems that you've done a good job of swapping things around in an attempt to isolate the problem. I do not know the SCT. ...but I do know that people have goofed up their settings. That would not explain the cluster but - as @junior125 said - that would be good to check.

After that... To be sure that it is not a sensor issue, I would verify that the temp sensors are operating correctly and that the SIGRTN line - which they both share - is functioning properly. I'll attach the ECT/EOT data sheets.

I have no codes, the gauge bumps up when I turn the key on aswell. What do you mean by sigrtn lines? The only thing I haven't tested is back probing through the connection at the sensor and probing the wire in the harness farther back, to see if the wire is broken somewhere in the harness? The eot has always read right sence the motor has been back together, I hit the oil filter housing with the temp gun and it's a couple degrees off, but That's on the outside not actual oil temp witch told me the eot is pretty close and working. so if they share the same line I wouldn't think the pcm is bad just yet, or could it be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I said check for problems with the wiring of the temp sensors. This is in part - because of all of your work - you yanked on the harness a bit. As such, you get my customary chafing thread link: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

Also, go here for a wiring diagram of your truck: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1118001-hi-res-single-page-6-0l-wiring-diagram-pdfs.html
I seen you edited it. I will pull these up on my pc tomorrow and see. I'll also look at your diagrams to. Thanks for the replays and info to I appreciate it all.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I did not understand from your post that the problem was ECT only. The SIGRTN line is a reference signal that goes to the ECT and EOT sensors. You can find it on the wiring diagram to which I referred. It isn't so important now other than verifying it as a part of the ECT connection.

The probing that you haven't done is the type of check to which I am referring. To help, attached is Ford Pinpoint Test K for the ECT sensor from the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic Manual.

To the PCM question... It is MUCH less likely that it is a problem given that your trouble is only ECT. You probably have a bad wire or connector. Be sure to recheck your SCT settings, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not understand from your post that the problem was ECT only. The SIGRTN line is a reference signal that goes to the ECT and EOT sensors. You can find it on the wiring diagram to which I referred. It isn't so important now other than verifying it as a part of the ECT connection.

The probing that you haven't done is the type of check to which I am referring. To help, attached is Ford Pinpoint Test K for the ECT sensor from the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic Manual.

To the PCM question... It is MUCH less likely that it is a problem given that your trouble is only ECT. You probably have a bad wire or connector. Be sure to recheck your SCT settings, though.
I definitely checked and re checked the tuner options and settings. Seems like a broken wire issue to me as you stated. I know that these trucks are supper picky and didnt know if there was more to the diagnosis then what I was doing. I definitely appreciate all the diagrams you gave me, I will definitely keep you guys posted. You you think of anything else feel free to posted it as I'll check back through out tomorrow and the weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts