Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 that I was having trouble getting into 4-wheel drive earlier this winter. The first time this happened my general mechanic told me to crawl under there and tap the transfer case motor and that the motor was probably just wearing out. Did as I was told a voila it went into 4-wheel drive. Fast forward a month or two and big snow storm hits so I try to do the same trick and no such luck. Order new transfer case motor and try to install yesterday and we find out we don't have any juice getting to the motor. We checked the fuses with a test light and all fuses seem to be ok and juice is going into the 4-wheel drive switch on the dash but not confirmed on if it is going out to where ever it may go after switch. Has anyone else had an issue such as this or can tell me where else to look? Hoping it's not just a broke wire or something since that is just a PITA to chase down. Thanks for any responses.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
There is 2 relays on the firewall next to the drivers side battery did you check them?
one engages one dis-engages T-case

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I have an 05 that I was having trouble getting into 4-wheel drive earlier this winter. The first time this happened my general mechanic told me to crawl under there and tap the transfer case motor and that the motor was probably just wearing out. Did as I was told a voila it went into 4-wheel drive. Fast forward a month or two and big snow storm hits so I try to do the same trick and no such luck. Order new transfer case motor and try to install yesterday and we find out we don't have any juice getting to the motor. We checked the fuses with a test light and all fuses seem to be ok and juice is going into the 4-wheel drive switch on the dash but not confirmed on if it is going out to where ever it may go after switch. Has anyone else had an issue such as this or can tell me where else to look? Hoping it's not just a broke wire or something since that is just a PITA to chase down. Thanks for any responses.
Heres the location

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. I had not checked those two relays but have now. Just got done with a 2 1/2 hour diagnostic session with a ford tech. He went through the pinpoint test and everything seemed to show it was working. He was even able, at times, to make it shift into 4 high with his computer but never with the switch. His final diagnosis was that the transfer case motor was bad. Basically he believes that the contact plates have gotten out of whack and are sending the fail safe signals to not engage the 4x4 to protect itself.

Still willing to hear of any other thoughts some people may have just in case. He seemed not 100% confident that was the case but was basically the best he could deduce at the moment.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Zmann I guess I don't understand. Are you saying I have two motors or are you asking?

Yeah you're correct. We believe the contact plates aren't lining up and therefore not allowing it to engage the four wheel drive. Like you said its acting like its lost and can't read where its at so its just leaving it in 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just updating this in case it can help someone down the road.

Installed a new transfer case motor and still having some issues. Right now the diagnostic computer is pointing towards a short in the vacuum solenoid(I believe). Still basically has a chance to be the 4x4 powertrain module under the dash.

The old motor had somehow gotten hung up in between gears, i.e. stuck between 2 high and 4 high. We were able to get the truck to shift into the different drives using the computer but still not able to using the dash knob.

Hope this headache can help someone else down the line with their problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts