Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.
I've spent the last few days removing everything to get access to the oil cooler. I ordered a new OEM oil cooler that I picked up yesterday from the dealer. There seems to be good instructions that came with it. I'm going to order an STC fitting and dummy plugs tomorrow.

I cleaned out the valley and now I'm ready to pull the oil cooler out. Any advice from here out for a rookie?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Cleaning the HPOP under the reservoir needs a lot of attention to detail. Lint free rags. All that oil in that reservoir goes through the coin sized IPR opening to the HPOP, so if lint is left in there, then it can end up on the IPR screen.

Consider adding an IPR coolant filter with the Bypass manifold. That will be an inline filter, although post oil cooler, and if you need to back flush because of deltas, makes it easy.

I put blue tape over any opening like to the eight under the air intake. Keeps the screws I drop from going in places that are impossible to get out.

Not sure if you’re deleted or not, but you can consider a BPD EGR cooler replacement if not done so already.

You do have to draw the line somewhere to keep from spending way too much on these while its out things.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Cleanliness is key here. I wouldn't order a stc fitting until you confirm it hasn't been done. Just open up the top cover on the pump and look to see if it's been done. If it has, you'll need a new seal, if not, then the whole kit. You'll need a flex head 10mm ratcheting wrench to get the passenger side valve cover off (for the stand pipes). Take a close look at the up pipe for cracks/separation at the bellows, replace if needed. Replace the ipr valve screen and seals and, if needed, upgraded oil feed/drain line to the turbo. You'll need a turbo mount kit (this is the o-rings and gasket for the turbo lines).
Clean everything with brakeclean or carb cleaner, make sure it's dry before you reassemble. As said above, lint free cloth /towels.
An oil change and coolant flush will need to be done after everything is assembled.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help and advice. I put in a new oil cooler, thermostat, filters and ELC. The truck is running great and EOT is much lower. It has been very hot here in CT with temps in 100+ and the highest delta I've observed is 7.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts