Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2005 F350 lariat about 6 weeks ago and put on a cat back cool dual mbrp exhaust, cat delete, afe stage 2 CAI and was running a superchip on performance I bought off a friend for cheap. I already had planned on bulleting proofing and running a sct x3 with custom tunes. I'm very mechanically inclined and know a fair bit about 6L's from researching. The other day i went for a drive, about 250km round trip and came home. Later I went out to buy a pack of smokes. I was just about home and heard my cooling fan kick in and imediatly checked my temp gauge and all was normal. I watched the gauge like a hawk for the next 45 seconds till i was in my drive way and all as good. I noticed a big ole oil puddle on the ground and oil all inside my front drive wheel well. Popped the hood open and noticed oil/coolant had been puking out of my degas bottle. checked the dipstick and didnt see any sign of coolant in the oil. But the level was very very low. checked my dtc to see if it threw a low oil pressure code (not sure if these trucks throw that code as i onky owned chevys before this) no code. Today I went out and noticed all the coolant had turned into a thick mucky messy.

My guess is the oil cooler (hopefully that and not a cracked block or head) So i'm gonna purchase a sinster diesel master solution kit and do everything at once. I was gonna take it to the shop as i dont have a little for the cab. Put i dont want to pay them to swap the cooler then spend 8 hours flushing all that **** out to just end up clogging it. I could try flushing it myself but i dont want to end up filling my block up with water. should I just try removing the cooler, Rigging up some sort of byass for the cooler with some hose and use a combination of distilled water and degreaser to clean all the sh!t out? Sorry for the long post. Any help or ideas would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
yea it really sucks when this happens because it's damned near impossible to remove it all. is the coolant totally gelled? or is it still somewhat liquid form?

if it's still somewhat liquid, remove the expansion tank before draining. alot of the oil will be in there and you don't want it draining down through the system.
if it's gelled, really all you can do is run water and dishwasher tabs through it with the thermostat removed. repeating multiple times. try and get as much out of the hoses and anything else you can remove as possible. that's about the best you can do

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 05 did the same thing, no good advise on what to do first. So I just removed degas tank and cleaned it out, removed radiator and decided it wasn't worth flushing so I bought a new all aluminum one. removed thermostat, cleaned out both rad. hoses. I torn it down and replaced oil cooler, egr delete, and stc fitting kit. assembled everything except I left out thermostat. filled with hot water and Dawn dish soap, fired her up and let it get hot, drained it then did it a few more times till nothing came out but clean water. Switched to distilled water flushing (about 40 gallons) then went with ELC coolant and added a coolant filter( a must have). All is normal now. I caught mine just as the degas bottle puked for the first time. I couldn't see flushing it with a leaking oil cooler cus it would defeat the purpose of the flush(oil would still be going into water system)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.