Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy here!

I have an 05 Excursion 6.0L stock. I am wanting to make some mods in these areas Exhuast, Tunner/chip idk which one is best for me, and Gauges Possably heavier suspension in the rear becuase i hate the way she sages. I really don't know much about diesels at all, so dumb it down a bit for me if you could.

I know I want a straight pipe exhuast system (idk what kind is good)......thinking 5''. However I would like it to growel and not blow my hearing with the whistle. What would you reccomend?

As far as Tunner/chips I really have no idea.....i'd like one to have a preformence (I would use very rarly, probably only on icy/snow covered boat ramps and if I get stuck in a corn field). I tow alot of trailers around 2-5 thousand pounds, and I do alot of highway driving. So i'd like to improve my mpg from 16 if at all possible. what would you recommend.

Gauges: A lot of people informed me with the 6.0l that once I start adding mods that I will need to keep an eye of trans, exhuast, and engine temps and air intakes. I have no idea if thats true but what would you do. If i add gauges I like the look of racing gauges.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
If budget is not an issue:

H11 head studs (comes with machined heads)
EGR delete
Modified factory turbo (liberator)
4" straight back dual exhaust
Banks intercooler
Big mouth intake elbow
Elite stage 2 fuel system
Elite Stage 2 injectors
Elite external oil cooler
FS2500
K&N intake
Fully built ATS tranny (TC, flexplate, input, intermediate, output)
Factory locking rear end
SCT TSX
BD X tuner (and dyno tuning at BD in Abbotsford BC)
ATS Co pilot
Gauges
REVTEK 6" lift
37" All Terrains
Amsoil in tranny, engine and diffs

With no tuning (factory settings), my Excursion has returned 27.2 mpg with the above noted upgrades.

Budget Conscious:

1) gauges - you need to know whats going on, always.
2) Head studs - when they let go, it really sucks and is expensive to fix (I've now done it three times)
3) transmission - I've gone through three rebuilds and have only ever run 450rwhp (500 crank) - you're towing, and even with 2 - 5k pounds, it is up to an additional 50% load on the drive line.
4) Programming - I get 27.2 mpg with the factory program, and frankly, it is better (drive ability/economy) than every other program I have tried. Typically, if big power is a serious goal, then go with someone whom has been building reliable software in your area - although I really like Elite gear, it sucks to deal with a programmer that isn't in the same country.

With the above, heed this warning: I bought my 2005 Excursion new from the factory - it was the last Excursion sold in Canada. I foolishly took the vehicle to a dealer who said that they had an awesome diesel tech and installing my head bolts would be reliable for the life of the vehicle...

After said dealership destroyed my original motor, transmission, rear end and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in replacing everything, hotels when it would die and all the downtime (not to mention the lawyers because I am now suing everyone), you could very well end up in the same position as I if you let anyone touch the Excursion who DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING!!!

So, I now know more about the 6.0l and 5r110 transmission than I ever really wanted to know, and I am still only halfway through the courts and all of these problems could have been completely avoided should the original mechanic that did the original head gasket job, known how to do the job...

And, if that wasn't enough, I still have problems with it.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
There are a lot of guys that think ATS is junk. IDK, as I plan on going with NADP since they're in town.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What is your budget to make your rig reliable?

Was the bluespring update to include excursions?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
ATS has been very good to me; and have most certainly warrantied (stood behind) their product.

NADP is most certainly another option, however, I have not used their products. BD is another one (have used some of their products) that has a pretty good warranty and they too are in Canada.

Ironically, there is a rumor floating around that all of the 300M shafts used by ATS, SUN, BD etc. are made by a machine shop in Ladner/Langley BC; I have not confirmed this, but it is most certainly interesting.

Long live free trade!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I would like to see some unbiased transmission testing done by some magazine or something. As for free trade, someone should tell UPS with their rip off brokerage fees. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is one problem with that:

If indeed there is one machine shop producing a large majority of the 'hard parts' we users deploy in order to bullet proof our gearboxes, this proposed test will only demonstrate how good the component producers QA/QC is...

If, however, there are a number of hard part manufacturers, there may be a 'non biased' test in there somewhere - but how the hell do you qualify it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If budget is not an issue:

H11 head studs (comes with machined heads)
EGR delete
Modified factory turbo (liberator)
4" straight back dual exhaust
Banks intercooler
Big mouth intake elbow
Elite stage 2 fuel system
Elite Stage 2 injectors
FS2500
K&N intake
Fully built ATS tranny (TC, flexplate, input, intermediate, output)
Factory locking rear end
SCT TSX
BD X tuner (and dyno tuning at BD in Abbotsford BC)
ATS Co pilot
Gauges
REVTEK 6" lift
37" All Terrains
Amsoil in tranny, engine and diffs

With no tuning (factory settings), my Excursion has returned 27.2 mpg with the above noted upgrades.

Budget Conscious:

1) gauges - you need to know whats going on, always.
2) Head studs - when they let go, it really sucks and is expensive to fix (I've now done it three times)
3) transmission - I've gone through three rebuilds and have only ever run 450rwhp (500 crank) - you're towing, and even with 2 - 5k pounds, it is up to an additional 50% load on the drive line.
4) Programming - I get 27.2 mpg with the factory program, and frankly, it is better (drive ability/economy) than every other program I have tried. Typically, if big power is a serious goal, then go with someone whom has been building reliable software in your area - although I really like Elite gear, it sucks to deal with a programmer that isn't in the same country.

With the above, heed this warning: I bought my 2005 Excursion new from the factory - it was the last Excursion sold in Canada. I foolishly took the vehicle to a dealer who said that they had an awesome diesel tech and installing my head bolts would be reliable for the life of the vehicle...

After said dealership destroyed my original motor, transmission, rear end and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in replacing everything, hotels when it would die and all the downtime (not to mention the lawyers because I am now suing everyone), you could very well end up in the same position as I if you let anyone touch the Excursion who DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING!!!

So, I now know more about the 6.0l and 5r110 transmission than I ever really wanted to know, and I am still only halfway through the courts and all of these problems could have been completely avoided should the original mechanic that did the original head gasket job, known how to do the job...

And, if that wasn't enough, I still have problems with it.

How much said and done minis the 37s and 6" lift?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The claim for lost time/wages, two motors, three transmissions (rebuilds), shipping, lawyers, downtime, hotels, depreciation, loss of original motor/gearbox, minus the 37s and 6" lift - $330 000.00

If you were to build it (engine): $20 000 + labour, Transmission: I think I originally paid 12 - 15 000, shipping/re/re etc etc.

I cannot stress enough that if you let someone touch it who doesn't know what they are doing, refer to the top of this post.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
The only way I'd get 27.2 mpg is if the entire trip was downhill. Damn it, my salesman told me I had the last Excursion sold in Canada. I should have know he was lying through his teeth. LOL

"HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS"? I think I would have cut my losses at least a hundred thousand back. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Midnight Gambler:

If you were to build it (engine): $20 000 + labour, Transmission: I think I originally paid 12 - 15 000, shipping/re/re etc etc.

So approximately $35 000+ for the above listed mods.

Term 3 - Yes, normally I would agree with you, but since the action was already filed and moving, I wasn't going to walk away from it/sell the truck, because the lawyers on the other side would have said I mitigated a whole bunch of my loss by selling the vehicle, and therefore am not entitled to as large a settlement. I have already had to buy another truck (2008 F450) because the Excursion was nickle and diming me so badly that when the tranny let go for the third time, it was in fact cheaper to lease a brand new vehicle prior to getting the gearbox fixed... Ironically, the F450 has only caused me one problem - the injection pump let go, and was replaced under warranty.

Because I had the opportunity to address the shortcomings with the 6l, I was fortunate to find the right people and parts to make it run as it should've 'out of the factory'. When I picked the truck up and drove it back to Alberta the first time, mileage was in the low 20s - this improved a bit after about 40k km. At 60k km, I replaced the first motor, and then my mileage dropped to to 14-16mpg... was very unhappy with that.

Then I found after only 35k km with the new motor, 4 of the 8 injectors, as well has the head gaskets, fuel pressure regulators and about another $20 000 in engine work prompted me to look to other fueling/oil management systems that were clearly better engineered than the factory/International stuff.

The net result was a MPG best of 27.2 (BC fuel/sea level); typically in Alberta I see 24 - 26mpg on the flats, and about 20 - 22 in the mountains.

A very bad situation I have landed myself in with this Ford...

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Best I ever got back and forth to Cow Town was 22 mpg, but my Ex is stock except for an AD2 and EGR delete. I guess there are lemons in every make and model. My Excursion has been extremely good to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I never had any of the noted problems until the one dealership did the one head gasket job and subsequently, screwed up so many other things during one job.

·
Registered
425 Posts
OK, what mods did you make, or what parts are you now using that get you to those MPG readings ?

Joe

Midnight Gambler:

So approximately $35 000+ for the above listed mods.

Term 3 - Yes, normally I would agree with you, but since the action was already filed and moving, I wasn't going to walk away from it/sell the truck, because the lawyers on the other side would have said I mitigated a whole bunch of my loss by selling the vehicle, and therefore am not entitled to as large a settlement. I have already had to buy another truck (2008 F450) because the Excursion was nickle and diming me so badly that when the tranny let go for the third time, it was in fact cheaper to lease a brand new vehicle prior to getting the gearbox fixed... Ironically, the F450 has only caused me one problem - the injection pump let go, and was replaced under warranty.

Because I had the opportunity to address the shortcomings with the 6l, I was fortunate to find the right people and parts to make it run as it should've 'out of the factory'. When I picked the truck up and drove it back to Alberta the first time, mileage was in the low 20s - this improved a bit after about 40k km. At 60k km, I replaced the first motor, and then my mileage dropped to to 14-16mpg... was very unhappy with that.

Then I found after only 35k km with the new motor, 4 of the 8 injectors, as well has the head gaskets, fuel pressure regulators and about another $20 000 in engine work prompted me to look to other fueling/oil management systems that were clearly better engineered than the factory/International stuff.

The net result was a MPG best of 27.2 (BC fuel/sea level); typically in Alberta I see 24 - 26mpg on the flats, and about 20 - 22 in the mountains.

A very bad situation I have landed myself in with this Ford...

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
For THE expert in Excursion's, top to bottom, contact Cary as he really knows his stuff.

email: [email protected]
Website: Home Introduction only, they want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
This is absolutely what you should do first....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
:ORG welcome:

^^^^ What they said! But even before that.... idk how long you've been lurking and reading on here but go through the "stickies" and the "6.0 tech" section. You'll find everything you need to make your Ex reliable. You really do need to get a monitor and find out how healthy your truck is before you start modding it, throw a tune on before that and you'll find out real quick where the weak spots are and then spend a small fortune fixing it.

If you read the link southend posted you'll find that you really don't need to spend $30000... just take care of one thing at a time and make sure it gets done right the first time.

So... get a monitor, check your deltas, delete the ERG or get a Bulletproof EGR and then see where it stands.

You'll find a ton of info and people willing to help on the ORG. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts