Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
234k+ mi, EGR delete done at dealership when bought new, not studded.
Truck had started to become a long crank slowly getting worse for about 2 weeks. Then I didn’t start anymore.
I have (after no start) replaced
Oil/filter, fuel filters and a blue spring kit, stand pipes/dummy plugs, STC fitting,ICP, IPR checked cleaned( no screen damage or debris).
Any advice on my next step would be welcomeed:(

Attachments

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,526 Posts
Your cranking speed is too low and so are your vehicle volts.

Charge and individually load test the batteries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. The batteries where done just as you suggested. I had been doing cranking intervals to get early readings then moved to checking connections. I failed to record the data till I was about done.
The Volts never showed on the ficm main above 10.5,
I did a pin test KOEO prior to this and had 48v.
Are the batteries really going to cause all the codes?

·
5,526 Posts
They could. You also will never get a start if the cranking rpms are below 150. If it isn't your batteries, then it is likely to be your starter. Load testing batteries is free .........

A simple voltage check means nothing. A battery can read 13 volts and then drop to zero w/ a load.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Battery cable connections(check both ends) -- one or both batteries bad

Quick and dirty load test can be done by removing the driver side battery -- crank with head lights on and observe the voltage(brightness of the lights is also an indicator)
Swap in the removed battery into the passenger side and re-test

If the battery/starter/cables are fine, the engine will crank with only one battery

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The batteries were fully charged and a load test was done previously before the scans.
My wording was possibly not apparent enough in my 3rd post. Apologies for that.
I have a Snap on MT3750 AVP that I did the load test on. Volts never dropped below a 9.6 on a 15 second load test. 650 amps showing on both 810 cca batteries.

·
5,526 Posts
Battery voltage below 9.5V will cause delayed/hard starts. You are pretty close to that and maybe you are dropping below that but your update frequency isn't showing it.

FICM Vehicle Power (Volts) (Should be 12+ Volts, should never drop below 10.25 for more than 60 seconds, or 9.0 for 4 seconds. TSB 09-24-03

As posted above, if you aren't getting 150 rpm cranking, it won't start. That is the focus are IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Appreciate your input, it was getting above 150 rpm when I started checking things out. As mentioned I didn’t record any info until I had been trying different things for about an hour(ie watching the scanner, and having someone else crank it over while I was checking connections.)
So the batteries were low when I remembered to record the data.
I have a different (known working) FICM on its way.
I will have it Tuesday.
Again thank you for your help.

·
5,526 Posts
Good deal. Please keep us informed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts