Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck was running normal then died as if it ran out of fuel. Plenty of fuel in the tank. Pulled codes and codes were: P2290; P0528; UI900. P2290 is Injector Control Pressure Too Low. Read up on P2290 and suggestion was to check that low oil pressure would build on a long crank. Low oil pressure does build. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner to watch voltages and pressures. In my reading it was mentioned an number of times the IPR has a history of going bad over time. I replaced it and still no start. Does fuel injection system need to be bleed? If so, how it that done. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
I replaced my IPR valve a few weeks back and the truck fired up in about a second - just like it always does.

IMHO, you are not going to get through this without first:
1) buying a monitor to look at your injection pressure and commanded valve percentage while cranking
2) paying someone with a monitor to look at your injector pressure and commanded valve percentage while cranking

You can use a $10 OBDII reader and an Android phone, so we are not talking much investment here.

Ask if you need to know more.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply djmaguire.
Update: Downloaded Torque Pro and set up according to DieselTechRon's video. Below are readings:

FMP ICP (HPOP) ICP Volts FICM Sync IPR %
Key on, engine off 48.5 8.0 0.2 0.0 14.7
Key on, cranking 49.0 202 - 650 0.4 - 1.0 1.0 83.9

Appears I have a leak some place. Also noticed whenever the ICP gets over 500 psi the engine will fire for a second but since the pressure doesn't stay above 500 long enough it won't start. Suggestions where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced the STC fitting (among other things) on my truck made a huge difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Unplug the ICP and try it. It's probably a leak, but that should default the ICP signal to a value that will allow it to crank if it's not a leak.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
That IPR percentage is saying that the PCM is closing off the dump to the pan but - as you said - the pressure is not being built. ...or not measured.

Take @G8orFord 's advice and unplug the ICP. If the ICP sensor is the issue and the HPOP pressure is really being built, it will start. Whle you are looking at it, look at the ICP sensor connector for oil. If you see some, the sensor is bad.

After that, the general progression as I see it will be:
1) Use Torque to pull the codes and see what's what.
2) Check the ICP sensor pigtail and wiring.
3) Make sure that your LPOP is providing sufficient low pressure by watching the dash indicator and - as a follow-up - measuring.

and last,

4) Air test for leaks.

Get through the first stuff first, though, and report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I haven't gotten back to update, busy with family during the holidays and the weather has been cold and snowy which isn't pleasant in an unheated garage. Will try what G8orFord suggested and then run through what djmaquire suggested. I did replace the STC about 1½ years ago when I had to replace the EGR cooler. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got a chance today to run through G8orFord and djmaguire suggested. Pulled IPC connector and cranked the engine. Below are the Torque Pro numbers and Fault Codes with the IPC connector pulled:

Key on, cranking 48.5 1598.3 0.0 1.0 71

Fault Codes: P2285 - Powertrain, Injector Control Sensor Circuit Low (expected since IPC not connected)
P0270 - Powertrain, Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Low
Grey Codes: B1360 - Body
P0261 - Powertrain, Injector Control Sensor Circuit Low
P1000 - Powertrain
P2617 - Powertrain, Grankshaft Position Signal Output Circuit/Open
U1900 - Network

Torque Pro and Fault Codes after reconnecting IPC and cranking:

Key on, cranking 48.5 155 - 560 0.8 1.0 83.9

Fault Codes: P0261 - Powertrain, Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Low
P0270 - Powertrain, Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Low
Grey Codes: B1360 - Body
P1000 - Powertrain
U1900 - Network
The ICP connector was clean and no oil found in the ICP connector. Found no chaffing of the ICP black wire wrap, no connector cracks and no wires looked damaged. Visual inspection shows no wiring issues. LPOP builds to just about normal after long crank.

I'll pick up tools needed to check for air leaks. Have seen two methods: checking each side separately or checking system via removing IPR and connecting air adapter to where the IPR goes. Any recommendations on which to process to use?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Use the IPR adaptor if you have the choice
Before airing the system, shut the valve and crank the engine. See if ICP builds. If not, apply air

1 - 11 of 11 Posts