Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving on interstate towards Amarillo and then maintenence light comes on and then auto lights shut off so i turn on manual lights and they work so i pull over to see what computer says and it says icp low and can bus failure and other little things along with maintenance light on and i shut off the normal running truck to turn off the maintenance light and it doesn't start. Tried reseting batteries, unhooked icp, everything i could think of. Still no start intermittent crank. Will check fuel after this but it seems computer related

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
driving on interstate towards Amarillo and then maintenence light comes on and then auto lights shut off so i turn on manual lights and they work so i pull over to see what computer says and it says icp low and can bus failure and other little things along with maintenance light on and i shut off the normal running truck to turn off the maintenance light and it doesn't start. Tried reseting batteries, unhooked icp, everything i could think of. Still no start intermittent crank. Will check fuel after this but it seems computer related

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,255 Posts
Your batteries healthy?

About your maintenance light - is it the wrench or the check engine light?

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your batteries healthy?

Yes wrench light and yes batteries are good with a 2 year old alternator. The wrench light would turn on for the oil and coolant correlation but right when it came on, I checked Temps and everything was fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your batteries healthy?

I unhooked batteries last night and just got back to truck. Connected batteries, it started right up and sounded good and died after 2 seconds

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
" Still no start intermittent crank "
intermittent crank = engine is not rotating?

Have you cleared out the codes to see what "new" codes pop?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
" Still no start intermittent crank "
intermittent crank = engine is not rotating?

Have you cleared out the codes to see what "new" codes pop?
Nothing major glow plug 6, transfer case, ignition key in circuit fault. That's the door chime that don't work

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,255 Posts
Yes wrench light and yes batteries are good with a 2 year old alternator. The wrench light would turn on for the oil and coolant correlation but right when it came on, I checked Temps and everything was fine
The wrench light and the code (P012F) for the coolant/oil temp correlation is for when the oil temperature exceeds the coolant temperature by more than a specified "threshold" number .... AFTER the engine has fully warmed up. It is to warn you of a plugged oil cooler. It is an oil cooler efficiency monitor (TSB 09-24-3).

Please explain what you mean by "intermittent crank".

·
Registered
796 Posts
You need to check out the alternator. It sounds to me like the truck is draining the batteries. That usually means that the alternator isn't charging the batteries. As soon. As the batteries are depleted, the truck is shutting down.

I'D LIKE TO MAKE A POINT OUT OF NEW PARTS..... Just because you replaced it, doesn't mean it's still good. This means... Anytime you replace a part (any part) to repair the truck and it works, then the symptoms come back, it's likely the part you just replaced.
Idc if your Alternator is 2 years old. Check it out, follow the charge wire, make sure it's tight at all the right places. Then have the things tested, it's best to check in vehicle as the bench tests have a lot of weak points.
OH, and now your batteries are going to fail pretty soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, the truck did not die, I turned it off and tried to start it right away and the ipr read 85% cranking. I let the truck rest over night with batteries disconnected and it started right up the next morning with zero issues. Now it's doing it every time. Will not start after it's at running temp. Everything I see points to ipr. I've had the issue before but a little different. Last time once it hit running temp, the truck would shut off and it was the ipr. Now it stays running. Sketchy drive going from Amarillo to lafayette,la

·
Registered
796 Posts
Alright, the truck did not die, I turned it off and tried to start it right away and the ipr read 85% cranking. I let the truck rest over night with batteries disconnected and it started right up the next morning with zero issues. Now it's doing it every time. Will not start after it's at running temp. Everything I see points to ipr. I've had the issue before but a little different. Last time once it hit running temp, the truck would shut off and it was the ipr. Now it stays running. Sketchy drive going from Amarillo to lafayette,la
Pressure test it through the ipr valve, also make sure the seals and screen on the ipr are in good shape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts