Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 6.0 that has a starting problem. Just recently it started cranking a lot before it started--mopstly when hot. The the other day I started it cold and drove it 70 miles and all was fine until I shut it off and tried to restart it 10 minutes later. It took about 15 minutes of cranking and waiting to get it running again and then I drove it another 70 miles home and it ran great. it will run forever just don't shut it off if you want it to start right back up again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check the dummy plug orings on the high pressure oil rails or the high pressure oil pump fitting.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Yep, what raven_hammer said. It's a fairly common problem on the 05's; mine had it and there is a TSB on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stupid question....but will I see a leak there??? And about where are these located??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stupid question....but will I see a leak there??? And about where are these located??
Only if you hook up high pressure air while it's that hot. So in other words probably not. The dummy plugs are located on the high pressure oil rails under the valve covers. They are the large allen head plugs towards the front side of the engine. The HPOP fitting is in the engine. By the time you get it apart enought to see it, the engine will have cooled off enough to not the issue any longer. It's under the turbo under the aluminium looking plate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only if you hook up high pressure air while it's that hot. So in other words probably not. The dummy plugs are located on the high pressure oil rails under the valve covers. They are the large allen head plugs towards the front side of the engine. The HPOP fitting is in the engine. By the time you get it apart enought to see it, the engine will have cooled off enough to not the issue any longer. It's under the turbo under the aluminium looking plate
So I guess I don't want to know what it takes to fix it.....I guess it's going to Ford to let them look at it. That sounds like a 5yr/50,000 warranty item??

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I guess I don't want to know what it takes to fix it.....I guess it's going to Ford to let them look at it. That sounds like a 5yr/50,000 warranty item??
you mean 100,000. yeah let them deal with it. it's the least painfull 100 bones you'll put out

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts