Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to appologize in advance. This is kind of long. I am not a stranger to diesel, but I haven't worked on anything but cat and cummins, and nothing with as much electronics as this thing has.

I recently bought an '05 f-250 crew cab, 156k miles. Has had a K&N air intake installed. No other mods as I can tell. Ran awesome when I bought it. Two days later, it started saying "low oil pressure" in the instrument cluster when it was at idle, but would go away as soon as I would touch the throttle. Seems to only do that on cool, wet days. Went two weeks, and then I noticed that it seems a little rough on acceleration until it warms up. Ok, so far, I can deal with this. Went like this for two months, then it started saying "trailer disconnected" on the cluster. Well, of course it's disconnected... as there was no trailer connected in the first place.... Ok, still not so bad. Now, I have some real issues. Last week it started having some issues when I drive it in the morning, or at night. It will drive for about 3 miles, just long enough to reach operating temp. Then the check engine light comes on. A short distance later, the maintenance light comes on and then it starts bucking. It does it from a stop, or on tip in from low rpms. If you stab it to the floor, it takes off like a raped ape like normal. Once I get to where I am going, shut it off and restart, the lights go out and it drives normally. Seems to only do it under 60 degrees. Even if I haven't driven it all day, as long as it's over 60 degrees outside, it will be just fine. If I go anywhere during the day and come home at night, as long as it doesn't drop below 60 degrees, it seems to be just fine. I noticed that what it seems to do is drop to idle, regardless of pedal position, and then jump back up to where ever the throttle input says it should be. One morning, I had to pull over because I had zero throttle response for a few moments. Hooked the scanner to it, and I had a laundry list of codes. I wrote them all down, cleared them, and now it just randomly sets codes like "brake switch out of self test range" or "a/c switch high" after it has "acted up". I have checked all connections, and haven't found an issue. It seems to me to be an electrical problem. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the FICM? I have had a code for "ICM out of correlation" and one for the "TPS out of corrolation". I'm not sure what that means.
It's sucks to make a payment every month on a truck that I can't call reliable. And I am affraid to keep driving it, not knowing if I could be doing damage or not. Anything would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'll bump for you, I dont know much about pcm problems, but that sounds like what you got. Load test your batteries, they are very important on our trucks. Low oil pursue light is not good. Are you running motorcraft filters and caps?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts