Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just purchased my first diesel on Friday 07/23/10. the following Sunday I made a run to Long Island NY to pick up a car on a trailer. Well on the way back coming across Penn, all was going well, dash gauges showed normal ranges. I started hearing a bit of a hiss sound when accelerating up the hills. then about 50 more miles down the road I get a warning from the info system to check the engine temp. It was almost to the red mark, but cooled back down as soon as I let off the fuel.

The next hill I pulled, temp came right back up. I got off the exit, and was trying to get in a station lot at the exit, when I noticed white smoke pouring out the tail pipe. A check of the radiator tank showed no anti freeze. There was only a very small amount of anti freeze on top of the battery, but nothing leaking under the vehicle. The truck lost power and just barley was able to pull into the lot.

After sitting for about an hour, I'm thinking blown head gaskets. I added some anti freeze and water (2 gals) and was able to make it down the hill to a motel. I am having it towed back home to the selling dealer for repairs, and just had a few questions. Oh and buy the way it has 48 K miles, is a Ford Certified preowned, and has diesel care ESP on it. Now it has bumper to bumper premium care for 3 months or 3K miles then another year of powertrain ESP or 100k. plus the diesel care give it coverage on the engine for 2 more years or 200 K miles.

1, If the headgaskets are blown, would you try to get the dealer to put studs in or just go with what ford supplies?

2. the truck is stock except for Airaid intake system & 4 inch tail pipe cat removed. This is the way I got it. Will this cause warranty problems at other dealers?

3. When it is fixed, what would one do to the truck as far as mods that whould help prevent this from happening agian?

4. If I went with a programer, I was thinking about the SCT Livewire. would you go with that or get the more basic SCT and just add gauges?

Lastly I was a used car manager for a large Ford store for 9 years after retiring from the police dept. I love Ford vehicles, and knew going in this was possible, that is the reason for the warranties on the vehicle. I just don't want to screw up the warranty before it ends.

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew with a short box. Black (is there another color)

Thanks in advance for the responses, and I have really enjoyed reading all of the post.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
123 Posts
See if the dealer will do the head studs. Since you just got it the dealer should not give you a hard time plus it is technically illegal to sell you the truck without the cat.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Hi everyone, I just purchased my first diesel on Friday 07/23/10. the following Sunday I made a run to Long Island NY to pick up a car on a trailer. Well on the way back coming across Penn, all was going well, dash gauges showed normal ranges. I started hearing a bit of a hiss sound when accelerating up the hills. then about 50 more miles down the road I get a warning from the info system to check the engine temp. It was almost to the red mark, but cooled back down as soon as I let off the fuel.

The next hill I pulled, temp came right back up. I got off the exit, and was trying to get in a station lot at the exit, when I noticed white smoke pouring out the tail pipe. A check of the radiator tank showed no anti freeze. There was only a very small amount of anti freeze on top of the battery, but nothing leaking under the vehicle. The truck lost power and just barley was able to pull into the lot.

After sitting for about an hour, I'm thinking blown head gaskets. I added some anti freeze and water (2 gals) and was able to make it down the hill to a motel. I am having it towed back home to the selling dealer for repairs, and just had a few questions. Oh and buy the way it has 48 K miles, is a Ford Certified preowned, and has diesel care ESP on it. Now it has bumper to bumper premium care for 3 months or 3K miles then another year of powertrain ESP or 100k. plus the diesel care give it coverage on the engine for 2 more years or 200 K miles.

1, If the headgaskets are blown, would you try to get the dealer to put studs in or just go with what ford supplies? Try to get them to install ARP's and even try to get an EGR Delete installed. It never hurts to ask.

2. the truck is stock except for Airaid intake system & 4 inch tail pipe cat removed. This is the way I got it. Will this cause warranty problems at other dealers? Depends on your dealer, some may flag your warranty, while others may give you a thumbs up.

3. When it is fixed, what would one do to the truck as far as mods that whould help prevent this from happening agian? Studs, EGR Delete, and a coolant filter.

4. If I went with a programer, I was thinking about the SCT Livewire. would you go with that or get the more basic SCT and just add gauges? I would go with an SCT X3 with Dipricol Gauges or an Edge Insight.

Lastly I was a used car manager for a large Ford store for 9 years after retiring from the police dept. I love Ford vehicles, and knew going in this was possible, that is the reason for the warranties on the vehicle. I just don't want to screw up the warranty before it ends.

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew with a short box. Black (is there another color)

Thanks in advance for the responses, and I have really enjoyed reading all of the post.:icon_ford:
Answers in red. :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Had it towed back to the selling dealer and they finshed checking it out yesterday. They advised that the EGR cooler and oil cooler need replacing, no problems with HGs. I know I want to install some gauges overhead and was told I should put in a boost, EGT and trans temp. The truck has factory boost & trans temp gauges, but they say not very accurate. Is this true, or are the aftermarket gauges just that much better. As I will not be putting studs in at this time due to the 2 more years of Ford warranty on the engine. What other gauges or safety steps would you take, that would not void the factory warranty?

My daughters boyfriend has a Edge Juice W/ attitude and hot unlock code that he says will help as long as I don't max it out.

So it looks like I want to stay as close to stock as I can during the warranty period, but take steps that can help the truck preform and keep it going, while being able to make it as stock as possible if it has to be serviced under warranty agian. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
EGR cooler and oil cooler sounds right to me based on your symptoms, and I'd also recommend boost, egt, and trans temp gauges. Although the truck comes with boost and trans temp from the factory (and the boost gauge is pretty accurate), the trans temp gauge is more of an "idiot gauge." Meaning that by the time the gauge tells you things are heating up, it might be too late.

In my (and most other 6.0 owner's) opinion, stay away from the Edge. It doesn't do anything for your transmission and there have been a number of 6.0's who have experienced transmission failures that are likely related to running the Edge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Edge CTS for gauges. SCT for tunes if you feel the need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i had the edge with attu.blow the head ford cover but they can know untill they take it apart. i got lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I also would recommend boost, egt, and trans temp gauges. A real water temp and oil PSI would be real nice also.

Doug

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some checking at local preformance shop. and the Edge CTS or 3 gauges will run about the same. much more for the gauges if I have them install them. I would have thought that the gauge option would have been cheaper, but it does not seem so. I think I will get the truck back mid-week so I will keep checking prices. If you have a suggestion on good gauges at a better price than the Edge CTS let me know. The install is not a problem, but the CTS will give more reading than the 3 gauges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts