Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen posts saying only the 03-04 6.0 really needed the studs replaced. Is the 05 thru 07 safe to put a chip in (SCT) without doing a stud replacement?

Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
IMO, EVERY 6.0 should have the heads studded. I know its impractical for every owner to do, but if you can swing it, its the best thing for your truck along with bypassing/deleting the EGR system. That's not to say you can't tune your truck. If you use it sensibly you very likely have nothing to worry about, but there always is that chance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Supposedly they went to a little different bolt and torque setting for the 05+. But we've done plenty of head gasket jobs on them too(I work for a Ford dealer). I ran an SCT on mine for 10K miles before I studded it(did it as a precaution), without any problems.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
05-07 will blow headgaskets also many without studs are running the SCT and other tuners but when you put it in you take that risk.

If you don't do them now I would highly recommend doing studs before you go out of warranty especially if you can get a tech at the dealer to do it under warranty then all it will cost you is around 400 for studs plus the 100 buck warranty deductible and to me thats cheap insurance

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
So you are saying if i buy the studs while i am under warranty the ford dealer will replace them?
some will. others will screw you royally. Gotta search for one in your area.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So you are saying if i buy the studs while i am under warranty the ford dealer will replace them?
The dealership I work at will.

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
I put about 65,000 modded up miles on mine before I had them done and at least half of that was on a race tune. If you can get 'em done I recommend it but if you're going to load the SCT for economy or something I wouldn't loose sleep at night over it.

ETA: Oh and WELCOME to the ORG Chuck! :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
man i really wish i would have known about the dealerships installing studds under warranty i just spent 2400 getting studs installed on my truck.:doh:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Each dealership is different, some will install studs and others won't.

The only way that they will do them under warranty is if your headgaskets are blown and going to be replaced under warranty.

Just want to make sure that no one just goes out and buys some studs thinking they can get them done under warranty when the headgaskets are not already leaking!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ok thanks for clearing that up man it makes me feel alot beter know because my head gaskets werent leaking i just got the studs in so it didnt happen. i feel better know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts