Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's off. I'm new to diesels and completely clueless. Here's what happened.
We buy the new truck (F350, long bed, dually, 84,000mi) and decide to go camping, from OH across PA. It's towing fine, much better than the F150. We're towing a 7000 travel trailer. We got fuel at a service plaza and then headed back out. The on ramp was short so I put my foot in it. Boost went up to I'd say 25 to 27. Got on the freeway no problem, set the cruise (had the tow haul on) and several miles down the road the wrench light was on. The truck wouldn't down shift for the hills and had no power. I kept driving til the next exit and got off. Stopped at a truck stop to see if they could read any codes. I shut the truck off. No one had a code reader at the truck stop. Restarted the truck, wrench light was off. Truck was back to running like it had before. Up shifting and down shifting as it should. Did some research and came up with so much that it's confusing. :dunno: Here's what I found:

The code can't be read, the dealer can only read it
The turbo is toast
The accelerator pedal is about to die, tow it to the dealer NOW!
Ignore it til it comes back
Just ignore it
Don't drive it
One person was able to recreate it only on hills and if they had a lot of boost and let off the accelerator at the top of the hill.

So, what's the deal with the wrench? I'm towing home tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed we make it. I drove the truck today minus the trailer and had no problems.

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Probably either need to clean the EGR or clean the turbo. My 05 gives me the wrench occasionally if I'm pullin a hill really hard. The wrench light indicates a 'limp mode' which is why it wont shift or anything. If it happens on the way home, pull over, shut it down and restart down the road. If it starts doing it excessively, then I would take it in. Cleaning the EGR or turbo is pretty easy just search here and you can find several write-ups in it! And welcome to the ORG

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably either need to clean the EGR or clean the turbo. My 05 gives me the wrench occasionally if I'm pullin a hill really hard. The wrench light indicates a 'limp mode' which is why it wont shift or anything. If it happens on the way home, pull over, shut it down and restart down the road. If it starts doing it excessively, then I would take it in. Cleaning the EGR or turbo is pretty easy just search here and you can find several write-ups in it! And welcome to the ORG
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll check out the EGR and turbo cleaning info.

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We made it home. It puked 2 more wrenches. Both times were under different conditions. We were able to stop, shut it off and restart minus the wrench. Truck ran fine afterwards.

First time was after we had been on turnpike for a while. We stopped for a 10 min bathroom break. When we stopped I let the truck idle for a few minutes. I don't have a turbo timer or gauges (should I get either or both?). I shut it off and we came back in about 10 min. I started it up, turned the AC on, fog lights on and off we went. Put my foot in it, short ramp again, and we we're off. I noticed that I didn't have the tow haul mode on so I hit the button. No more than 5 miles later, going down hill, the wrench is on.

So, the next stop was for lunch. Truck was off for at least 20 to 25 min. Did the cool down idle. Came back, same start up but made sure the tow haul was on. Hit the on ramp, off we went and never saw the wrench.

Then it was fuel stop. Left the truck running while filling. Filled up, pulled away from the pump, parked and shut down for another bathroom break. Came back out, fired up, lights, AC, tow haul. Short on ramp again, off we went. Don't know how far we went but at least 5 miles and bingo, wrench light.

Got home and hooked up my code reader. This is a PC based reader, not one of the handheld unit (not that that makes any difference). I checked all 3 CPU's and there were NO codes!:confused:

So what the heck is going on? The EGR? I think I can clean that one myself. If it's the turbo, I don't think I can do that. Anyone in NE Ohio that can help? Are there any good videos on it somewhere?

Also, if it matters at all, the truck only got 10.5 MPG pulling about 7000 LBS at an average of 62 MPH. I think that can be improved but don't know if it and the current problem has anything to do with each other.

Also, we've named the truck Air Raid because the fan keeps coming on on the hills and sounds just like and air raid siren. Am I overheating too or just working it a lot?

Thanks for the help

Fred

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We made it home. It puked 2 more wrenches. Both times were under different conditions. We were able to stop, shut it off and restart minus the wrench. Truck ran fine afterwards.

First time was after we had been on turnpike for a while. We stopped for a 10 min bathroom break. When we stopped I let the truck idle for a few minutes. I don't have a turbo timer or gauges (should I get either or both?). I shut it off and we came back in about 10 min. I started it up, turned the AC on, fog lights on and off we went. Put my foot in it, short ramp again, and we we're off. I noticed that I didn't have the tow haul mode on so I hit the button. No more than 5 miles later, going down hill, the wrench is on.

So, the next stop was for lunch. Truck was off for at least 20 to 25 min. Did the cool down idle. Came back, same start up but made sure the tow haul was on. Hit the on ramp, off we went and never saw the wrench.

Then it was fuel stop. Left the truck running while filling. Filled up, pulled away from the pump, parked and shut down for another bathroom break. Came back out, fired up, lights, AC, tow haul. Short on ramp again, off we went. Don't know how far we went but at least 5 miles and bingo, wrench light.

Got home and hooked up my code reader. This is a PC based reader, not one of the handheld unit (not that that makes any difference). I checked all 3 CPU's and there were NO codes!:confused:

So what the heck is going on? The EGR? I think I can clean that one myself. If it's the turbo, I don't think I can do that. Anyone in NE Ohio that can help? Are there any good videos on it somewhere?

Also, if it matters at all, the truck only got 10.5 MPG pulling about 7000 LBS at an average of 62 MPH. I think that can be improved but don't know if it and the current problem has anything to do with each other.

Also, we've named the truck Air Raid because the fan keeps coming on on the hills and sounds just like and air raid siren. Am I overheating too or just working it a lot?

Thanks for the help

Fred
Fred
From everything you have said i would think it is the turbo the unison ring is stuck. I get between 8.5 and 10.3 pulling a 14k 5er and that is normal for the fan.
If you are going to clean the EGR this will help.
Diesel Technician Society
2 stroker
Need gauges and a coolent filter if you are going to run a 6.0

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred
From everything you have said i would think it is the turbo the unison ring is stuck. I get between 8.5 and 10.3 pulling a 14k 5er and that is normal for the fan.
If you are going to clean the EGR this will help.
2 stroker
Need gauges and a coolent filter if you are going to run a 6.0
Turbo cleaning time :( Can't do it myself, guess it's the stealers job. Can this be covered by the warranty?
I'm going to clean the EGR anyway. According to the OASIS report, the last time it was cleaned was in 2006. Saw this on Ebay, a guy has refurbed EGR valves. Call me lazy but the price isn't bad and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.
05-07 EGR VALVE 6.0 FORD DIESEL 5C3Z-9F452-AA: eBay Motors (item 360281211892 end time Aug-13-10 12:08:05 PDT)
Coolant filter is on the list, I should be able to handle that. As for gauges, I'd really like the Edge Insight but there's the $$$ problem again. So, I guess for now I'm going to get a EGT gauge. Which gauge should I get next?

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Turbo cleaning time :( Can't do it myself, guess it's the stealers job. Can this be covered by the warranty?
I'm going to clean the EGR anyway. According to the OASIS report, the last time it was cleaned was in 2006. Saw this on Ebay, a guy has refurbed EGR valves. Call me lazy but the price isn't bad and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.
05-07 EGR VALVE 6.0 FORD DIESEL 5C3Z-9F452-AA: eBay Motors (item 360281211892 end time Aug-13-10 12:08:05 PDT)
Coolant filter is on the list, I should be able to handle that. As for gauges, I'd really like the Edge Insight but there's the $$$ problem again. So, I guess for now I'm going to get a EGT gauge. Which gauge should I get next?

Thanks

Fred
If you still have warranty then it's $100.00 you can go into the head of the coolent filter with a temp gauge the do the oil then the trans and when you have them all in the Edge will cost a few $$$$ less so it is up to you, i would save and get the Edge all in one. ( That's just me )
2 stroker

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had the truck back out with the trailer since this all started nor has it been to the dealer. I changed out the EGR valve, the old one was a mess and it was a job to get it out. The fuel filters and transmission filter is next. I plan to toss a bottle of Diesel Kleen in the tank then hit the road with the trailer. I doubt if any of this will fix it but we don't have maintenance records for the truck and it has to be done sometime. Also on the list is the coolant filter and the gauges but that has to wait a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Schwartz - Any better with the new EGR?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Schwartz - Any better with the new EGR?
Yep. Pulled the trailer twice and no wrench light. Not only did we replaced the EGR valve, both fuel filters and the transmission filter. Seems to be running cooler. I can't tell if the Diesel Kleen is doing anything though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the wrench light twice for bad throttle assemblies.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My wrench light came on last week, and the oil cooler was replaced. It is back in the shop now with diesel smell in the cab(I am betting EGR cooler went)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I'd give everyone an update. It's been about a month since I last posted. Should have kept you more updated.

I changed the EGR and the fuel and transmission filters. The air filter has not been changed, yet. I have pulled the trailer several times and no wrenches. Sounds good?:)

Not so fast. This past weekend we took a long weeked for the races in Martinsville VA. We went from Ohio through West Virgina and into Virgina. No problems. Took 3 tanks of fuel to get there. 10 MPG. Coming back we drove from Virgina to Marietta OH for our first fuel stop. I left the truck running while filling. Got back on the freeway and less than 5 min later, the wrench. What I noticed this time is that the turbos boost was fixed between the 10 and 20 mark on the gauge and the truck wouldn't downshift. Not what I needed when we were going straight uphill.:eek:hnoes:

We stopped at a rest area and shut it down for 10 min. Got going again and 5 min later the wrench is back. Same as before, no downshifting and boost seems fixed at a certain value. Got to a truck stop and shut it down for 45 min. Got back on the freeway and ran the snot out of it. I figured it was do or blow time. Ran 60 to 70 mph all the way home, no wrench.

The other times it was doing it the outside temps were above 70 degrees. The past weekend we never got above 70 degrees outside. We did hear the fan come on a few times while pulling the hills of West Virginia.

Still haven't got it to the dealer but am going to have to do so. My guess right now is that it's either the turbo or the throttle pedal. I don't think it's the coolers, I hope anyway. I think turbo because coming off idle and asking for a lot of boost to get it and the trailer up to highway speed is causing something to go wrong.

Fred

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Your turbo needs cleaning and possibly a new unison ring. The clue is the boost hanging up when you are asking for full boost. It is throwing the wrench because the VGT vanes are not responding as asked for.

Do get an Edge Insight. It is way cheaper than the repairs you will incur by driving with the oil cooler clogged. You need to monitor coolant temp and oil temp. My main screen is set to monitor ECT, EOT, EGT, and Trans Temp. That's what you need to be watching when you are towing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your turbo needs cleaning and possibly a new unison ring. The clue is the boost hanging up when you are asking for full boost. It is throwing the wrench because the VGT vanes are not responding as asked for.

Do get an Edge Insight. It is way cheaper than the repairs you will incur by driving with the oil cooler clogged. You need to monitor coolant temp and oil temp. My main screen is set to monitor ECT, EOT, EGT, and Trans Temp. That's what you need to be watching when you are towing.
I'll have to agree, makes sense to me. Edge insight in on the wish list, funds a bit short right now. Hope the warranty covers the turbo cleaning, repair or replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had check engine light and a wrench light come on had it read and it said icp sensor or ficm replaced sensor and both lights went off. the next day the wrench light came back on and no diagnostic codes cause no check engine light came on just the wrench light. any info as to what the wrench light is and what it means would b helpful thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts