Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I'm pretty new to diesels. " other then a 7.3 some years a ago". I recently picked up a 2004 f350 6.0 with automatic trans at a crappy car lot and lets just say I'm feeling some sting in my ring now. they aint gonna give me my $$ back so I guess its time to make some lemonade. I drove it for a for about 45min on the test drive and it ran fine. drove it home, about hour and a half drive and it ran fine. went out after it had been sitting for about 4 or 5 hours and fired it up and i sounded kinda like it was surging for a min. i went to take off and it started to stumble/fall on its face and and I saw some white-ish/grey-ish smoke and turned around after about 200yards down the road, got back to the drive way and after about 5 min at idle it seemed fine. I took off down the road again and it ran fine. injector maybe? any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
136 Posts
You have to start with a monitor. I believe the cheapest options are torque and forscan. If it had a tuner it may have the ability built in.
Begin by pulling any fault codes and post those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to start with a monitor. I believe the cheapest options are torque and forscan. If it had a tuner it may have the ability built in.
Begin by pulling any fault codes and post those.
thanks for the help, what all do I need to do this and how do I tell if its had tuner installed?

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
136 Posts
You need something like this. There are both cheaper and more expensive ones.
You probably don't have a tuner if you don't see something on your dash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need something like this. There are both cheaper and more expensive ones.
You probably don't have a tuner if you don't see something on your dash.
ok thanks, is this the one you use?

·
Registered
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, figuring out what else.
195 Posts
ok thanks, is this the one you use?
It is the one I use.

I bought it after discovering that a cheaper one (~$15) that works fine on my 04 F150 gasser didn't work well with my 05 PSD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also I was told to do an oil change and ad some hot shots stiction eliminator in case it might be an injector/injectors? or should i start a new thread on this?

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
55 Posts
I originally read some good things about hot shots secret stuff but folks around here like to suggest the archoil ar9100 for stiction. I have tried it myself on this last oil change a week ago and have noticed it runs a little better, not sure if it’s helping or not but it probably won’t hurt to try it.

Also, if you’re doing an oil change make sure you go oem filters and make sure you have the oem filter cap. I didn’t have the right cap and since I put the Ford one on the truck it showed quicker oil pressure and it allows for better filtration

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I originally read some good things about hot shots secret stuff but folks around here like to suggest the archoil ar9100 for stiction. I have tried it myself on this last oil change a week ago and have noticed it runs a little better, not sure if it’s helping or not but it probably won’t hurt to try it.
[

Also, if you’re doing an oil change make sure you go oem filters and make sure you have the oem filter cap. I didn’t have the right cap and since I put the Ford one on the truck it showed quicker oil pressure and it allows for better filtration

thanks for the reply, I dont know what oil was used in the past and im finding allot of opinion's on oil 15-40 vs 5-40 synthetic etc? should i just use the rotella 15-40?

·
Registered
04 F250 CCSB
55 Posts
thanks for the reply, I dont know what oil was used in the past and im finding allot of opinion's on oil 15-40 vs 5-40 synthetic etc? should i just use the rotella 15-40?
That’s a can of worms lol. Everyone has different opinions on their oil selections. Personally I use the 5w40 rotella and have no complaints. I made the switch from the 15w40 and noticed it starts up better in the mornings, especially when the truck is cold

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a can of worms lol. Everyone has different opinions on their oil selections. Personally I use the 5w40 rotella and have no complaints. I made the switch from the 15w40 and noticed it starts up better in the mornings, especially when the truck is cold
ok thanks much.

·
Registered
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, figuring out what else.
195 Posts
right on thanks, what app does it use ? or can you use any app?
I use Torque Pro on an Android tablet. I think it cost me $5 for the app.

I am pretty sure there are others, but that's the one I know about.

Just be sure to enable the Ford PID set so you will see the data you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
will do. thanks for the help
ok my obd link lx is here, and I installed torque pro. what tests/diagnostics do I want to run? its starts pretty rough with some whiteish/greyish smoke for a couple min. but once its warmed up it starts and runs fine and no smoke.

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
136 Posts
I would clear the codes, start it up and drive it for 15 minutes, then list any new faults that show up.
You also need to check your ficm voltage and icp pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would clear the codes, start it up and drive it for 15 minutes, then list any new faults that show up.
You also need to check your ficm voltage and icp pressure.
should I check the ficm voltage when cranking? and the icp pressure when cranking ?

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
136 Posts
Your icp when cranking is probably good if it's starting. Definitely monitor the ficm when cranking. Your batteries need to be good as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts